Skip to main content

How many votes are submitted in total?

Miiiiike

Just a general question, curious about how many total votes actually get submitted each week.

Then I'd be curious about how much money you would need to sway the game in favour of your favourite housemate to be safe each week, then to eventually win BB.

This question comes from the suggestion Eds family are 'interfering' with the voting each week, and also about Tahan having rich friends and boyfriend.

Theres roughly 7 weeks left of Big Brother (that correct?) so say Eds family spend $10k per week (assuming hes up every week till the final) on save votes - thats 18,181 votes per week extra at 55c for the next 6 weeks, then on the final they spend $40k on save votes 72,727 votes, thats a total of $100k in votes over the next 7 weeks. with still $150k total profit (minus what they've already spent), plus the glory of winning BB. Is that enough to guarantee he would win?

Note: I'm not an Ed fan, just interested.

Hmmm I know that the Logans bought $100K worth of votes in the final, which they won, but it was close.

Way more than Ed's family could directly alter in any significant way.

I think these Ed famiky conspiracists are channel nine plants trying to push up voting revenue.

they should disclose how many votes were cast, if not weekly at least at the end of the season
who gets all of this profit from the 55cents per call?
really it would be much more fair if all people were each limited to 10 free votes per week

I had this same question awhile ago and nobody was able to answer it. I'm surprised if they've never said how many votes were cast. Maybe it's not an impressive number or they don't want people to know how much money they're bringing in on the votes.

On a related note, is my understanding correct that the winner of Big Brother Australia does NOT have to pay income taxes on the winnings? In the US, about 40% would end up being taken out (our overall tax rates are a bit lower than Australia, though).

Theres roughly 7 weeks left of Big Brother (that correct?)

I'm pretty sure It's more like 3-4 weeks max. They've already been advertising we are in the final weeks and we're in our 11th week! Obviously it has been extended beyond the usual 12 weeks but it not going go much longer than 14 weeks.

On a related note, is my understanding correct that the winner of Big Brother Australia does NOT have to pay income taxes on the winnings? In the US, about 40% would end up being taken out (our overall tax rates are a bit lower than Australia, though).

Yep, you're correct; all winnings are tax-free. The general rule here in Aus is that prize money is always tax-free ie. lottery/competition prizes.

As for how many votes are cast I don't think they'd ever tell us. They wouldn't want us or the other channels to know how much money they make from it.

Yep, you're correct; all winnings are tax-free. The general rule here in Aus is that prize money is always tax-free ie. lottery/competition prizes.

As for how many votes are cast I don't think they'd ever tell us. They wouldn't want us or the other channels to know how much money they make from it.

Obviously you know more than me, but can't you only claim a large windfall once? so if you won BB and then won the lottery you would pay tax on the lottery after your BB win being tax free? Highly unlikely, but lightning can strike twice.

Obviously you know more than me, but can't you only claim a large windfall once? so if you won BB and then won the lottery you would pay tax on the lottery after your BB win being tax free? Highly unlikely, but lightning can strike twice.

Pretty sure all winnings are tax free, anything you earn from the winnings such as interest etc will be taxed though.

Yeah, I would love to know the number of votes. Percentages are obviously of great use in determining who goes, but when there is less than 1% between two people I'd love to see how many votes it came down to.

So 800K average punters

Say 5% vote (probs high)

So 40K

Say they vote three times on average, so 120K @ 55c so $66K/week revenue. It's not much hey. One small banner ad would get more than that.

Interesting they don't get any other prizes, like not even an ipad. Remember the heady days they got cars!

We worked on this for weeks in another forum & they have released actual numbers in the past. So going by those numbers, we figured the total votes would be 200,000 for a regular eviction to 400,000 for a hot eviction or finale.

Hypothetical situation -

If I was Ed's brother & determined to keep him in & was promised $50,000 if Ed won.

We have worked out from past voting numbers that there is appx 200,000 votes cast per eviction.

That would only be 1400 votes (.7%) between being evicted & not being evicted but to make sure I had enough, I would want to know how many between second place & evicted which would be appx 3200 votes (1.6%).

If I took $375 & bet it against *everybody* but Ed, I would make enough *at the very least* to fund 3750 votes assuming Drew left.

More than enough to get him out of last place.

If Tahan left, I would have enough for 3750 votes & still make $750 or if Tim left I'd make an extra $4300 or if BEN left an extra $7687.

Since BEN left, I'd have made enough to fund nearly 14,000 votes in another eviction.

Another crazy betting theory -

Ben's odds started out at 13 went up to 23 & ended up at 26. It's obvious no large bets were placed on Ben.

*But* Tim's odds started out at 11 & went up to 19 but ended up at 17. Ben & Tim were fairly close in odds til big bets were made on Tim. Without big bets, I would figure Tim's odds ending up at 21 instead of 17.

What if someone figured with those odds, it was well worth *trying* to fix the game. They *assumed* Ben would get more votes than Tim, so only needed to effect Ed, Drew & Tahan's numbers.

Figuring Tim would get about 30% of the 200.000 votes & Ed would probably get 10% - so add 50,000 votes to Ed, 40,000 votes to both Drew & Tahan & Tim should be gone. That would cost $71,500 in votes *but* a bet of just $3,765 (with odds of 19) would make that much. Anyone who is able to come up with $71,500 should easily come up with a big bet. A 15,000 bet would have a pay off (with odds of 19) of $285,000 subtract the cost of votes & you still have $213,500.

*BUT* if your assumption of Ben getting the most votes was flawed & Ben goes then you are screwed with a break even cost of $75,163 plus more for the bigger bet.

But this crazy theory would easily make Tahan the top vote getter & leaving less than 1% difference between Ed, Drew & Tim. There were only 1800 votes difference between Tim & Ed (if the total votes were 200,000).

Of course, if you have TWO people with different goals using the same theory, someone is screwed.

Last edited:

Should such a person be that lucky both their winnings would be tax-free. The only time winnings are taxable is when they're deemed 'ordinary income' ie a professional tennis player pays tax on their winnings because playing tennis is their job.

Also like [MENTION=31267]Maddy[/MENTION] said any interest/earnings from the winnings are taxable.

Should such a person be that lucky both their winnings would be tax-free. The only time winnings are taxable is when they're deemed 'ordinary income' ie a professional tennis player pays tax on their winnings because playing tennis is their job.

Also like [MENTION=31267]Maddy[/MENTION] said any interest/earnings from the winnings are taxable.

Sweet deal!

I had a theory on this one and it goes a little something like this:

The other week when three Nominees were on 15.1% decreed that a certain number of votes needed to have been cast in order for that particular set of figures to be accurate.

There is a mathematical genius somewhere in the world who can tell us that with a set of six (6) numbers and with three of them being 15.1% and with consideration of the other three specific whole percentages a certain number is a minimum and multiples applied thereafter.

It's actually very easy to figure out total votes when three (3) numbers are exactly the same [upon the assumption that the quoted figures are exact].

Has Sonia ever mentioned how many votes difference there were between 2 people? I have the feeling she might have when it was close one week. If we have that info, it's a simple process to extrapolate using the matching percentages, what the total number of votes were for that week.

Has Sonia ever mentioned how many votes difference there were between 2 people? I have the feeling she might have when it was close one week. If we have that info, it's a simple process to extrapolate using the matching percentages, what the total number of votes were for that week.

I'm sure one week she said there were 23 votes or something between the nominees but from memory they were both on the same percentage.

I'm sure one week she said there were 23 votes or something between the nominees but from memory they were both on the same percentage.

Which would mean there were an infinite number of votes cast! Doh!!!

Which would mean there were an infinite number of votes cast! Doh!!!

:D

Some weeks I think there are hundreds of thousands of votes cast and others I'm not so sure. When you see percentages change fairly substantially over the course of 10-15 minutes I just don't see how that many can be sent in such a short time. Is it possible to vote through facebook in blocks?

Back