Skip to main content

How I'd improve Ch7's Big Brother

Even if they just rejig the format to focus more on a social game than a physical game. Channel 7 Big Brother needs to differentiate itself from being a knock-off Survivor. I had a rough format idea which could be cute and realistic enough for Seven to do.

Monday Episode:
Head of Household
I think it would be fun to bring in a sort of ratings/scoring system like they do in the Circle. Starting each week they could do a house ratings where each housemate has to score the each other housemate between 1-5 stars. The housemate with the highest score becomes the HOH for the week. I'd also like them to flesh out the HOH idea more by maybe including a HOH room and bring in what the dutch format does with HOH where they can set House Rules for the week.

Nominations
The two housemates with the lowest scores from the house ratings are automaticly nominated for eviction. Then the HOH has the sole power to nominate two other housemates of their choice to join them. These nominees will have to face both evictions that happen in the week.

Tuesday Episode:
Shopping Task
The usual shopping tasks.

Eviction #1
The housemates vote to evict one of the four nominees like they currently vote. One goes home.

Wednesday Episode:
Second Chance Challenge
The entire house competes in a Second Chance Challenge where the winner must choose one of the remaining three nominees to take off the block. If they take off one of the HOH's nominees then the HOH must name a replacement nominee but if they save one of the Ratings Nominees then the next lowest scorer is the replacement. Obviously have a mix of endurance, mental, physical competitions.

Eviction #2
The housemates vote to evict one of the three nominees like normal. One goes home.

It's not fleshed out but I would love them to focus more on being a SOCIAL experiment than a physical competition. This format would obviously keep an element of gameplay but it's more of a game where the housemates can choose if they want to play it or just go with the flow.

Also we need better casting because it's not great if your shows final five contains only one favourite (Reggie), three people (Johnson, Aliesha, Taras) that the general public really don't like, and one boring meathead (Brenton) who's brought nothing to the season. Give us some interesting, contriversial, loud characters who can carry the show with their personalities and interactions in the house.

Oooh. There are some good ideas there.

How come we can come up with such ideas, and TV execs seem not to be able to?

Last edited:
In thinking about how to improve the format. Here's a thought experiment. Would this version of BB be fairer if instead of challenges, they all just pick balls out of a sack. Where one is a different colour to indicate winner?

Ha. I like it. It's simple and it is not faked/rigged (if the ball draw is shown on TV). And, it doesn't favour those who are yoga balance masters, or have better strength than others; not to mention that it doesn't disadvantage anyone with any from of disability.

They can still have the challenges (because the show still needs content), but use the challenges for, say, immunity from nomination. The ball picker winner gets to nominate ... and the challenges decide who has immunity.

I do like the current evicition format ... you get evicted, you get in the car, you get driven away and you do a brief summary of your time. I think that works perfectly well. Full comment on your exit can be left for 7Plus and the Internet etc ... as it is now. I don't see a need for a stage production evicition with interviews and an audience and family members.
I completely disagree with this. Evictions were event TV. The anticipation of who would go, housemates genuinely nervous on the sofa. The disappointment of being evicted tempered by a huge welcome from the crowd. PS2s and flip phones! Your best bits. Gretel's 10 questions. So much fun.

Being bundled into a car and shunted off (back) to obscurity must be pretty shattering for them really. It's like Trump says "you're fired" and sends them off. Kinda pathetic really.

In thinking about how to improve the format. Here's a thought experiment. Would this version of BB be fairer if instead of challenges, they all just pick balls out of a sack. Where one is a different colour to indicate winner?
At least they’d be a different winner and not just the same 3 that win each time. And it’s a faster process. The challlenges atm take far too much screen time. Tully stated that bb talks to them during this yet we don’t see that, if rather hear the dialogue than watch who wins.

I completely disagree with this. Evictions were event TV. The anticipation of who would go, housemates genuinely nervous on the sofa. The disappointment of being evicted tempered by a huge welcome from the crowd. PS2s and flip phones! Your best bits. Gretel's 10 questions. So much fun.

Being bundled into a car and shunted off (back) to obscurity must be pretty shattering for them really. It's like Trump says "you're fired" and sends them off. Kinda pathetic really.
There’s no closure for me when they are whisked away and never seen again. I kind of need that intimate interview or like you said Gretal’s questions with one that answers what we all want to really know from their time in the house. And the fact that the hms can’t change their ideas after viewing peoples responses. They answer in that moment.

Depends on who it is. :biggrin:
Even the most irritating or unliked hm needs a send off. If nothing else but to get a grilling from the host. I call it a satisfaction send off for all the fans watching 😂

Remember how big the boos were for some hms. Oh gosh the public slaughter was brutal in the earlier shows. No way would that be allowed now

Even the most irritating or unliked hm needs a send off. If nothing else but to get a grilling from the host. I call it a satisfaction send off for all the fans watching 😂

Remember how big the boos were for some hms. Oh gosh the public slaughter was brutal in the earlier shows. No way would that be allowed now

Yeah nah

Sonia would send us to sleep with her boring questions.

Well if a HM is waffling on & on. They get this.

Attachments

• stage_hook.gif
    stage_hook.gif
    41.5 KB · Views: 3
Yeah nah

Sonia would send us to sleep with her boring questions.

Well if a HM is waffling on & on. They get this.
Oh not with Sonia. If we’re talking about a reformatted bb show that means she goes. Honestly as a host at all for any show. She can stick to her magazine edits on her home workouts.

Oh not with Sonia. If we’re talking about a reformatted bb show that means she goes. Honestly as a host at all for any show. She can stick to her magazine edits on her home workouts.

I forgot about that.

So it's Tim doing the interviews.

I forgot about that.

So it's Tim doing the interviews.
I don’t think he would be a good main host for some reason. I think he would be good in a mike Goldman type of bb show but not as a main host. Like it was said by someone else, I feel a woman would make a better main host. Kaz I actually think someone like you would be good because you would be completely unfiltered in what you say and ask 😂

Last edited:
I don’t think he would be a good main host for some reason. I think he would be good in a mile Goldman type of bb show but not as a main host. Like it was said by someone else, I feel a woman would make a better main host. Kaz I actually think someone like you would be good because you would be completely unfiltered in what you say and ask 😂

Yeah Karen shows no bias haha 😘

That would be very dull television.

I do like the current evicition format ... you get evicted, you get in the car, you get driven away and you do a brief summary of your time. I think that works perfectly well. Full comment on your exit can be left for 7Plus and the Internet etc ... as it is now. I don't see a need for a stage production evicition with interviews and an audience and family members.

There’s no closure for me when they are whisked away and never seen again. I kind of need that intimate interview or like you said Gretal’s questions with one that answers what we all want to really know from their time in the house. And the fact that the hms can’t change their ideas after viewing peoples responses. They answer in that moment.

I agree that the live stage evictions were event TV and were awesome. I absolutely loved those eviction shows and Friday Night live. I think the question is this ... would such a show work in modern times, and, if not, what to do?

I am not sure such a large show would work any more. For starters, they are costly, and need security etc, so TV execs are going to baulk at them. Secondly, you need somewhere to hold such a large show, and, it needs to be right next to (or very close to) the house. Dreamworld had the space. Thirdly, the host needs to be right for the job, and many people here have suggested that Sonia probably isn't the right person for the job. And so on and so forth.

So, a cut down version then? I don't know. Remember that small effort of a show they used to do with some family members and a small audience? It was tacky, lacked atmosphere, and simply didn't work. Not great TV at all.

So, whilst I would prefer a stage production with a large, loud, cheering audience etc, I really don't think it is going to happen. And a small, compact cut down show just doesn't work. So, whilst the car send off is brief, I think it's good enough to do the job. Perhaps they could elaborate on it a bit more with the HM getting more than 30 seconds to say something ... but not too long. Or maybe even have Sonia (or whomever) waiting outside, next to or near to the car, perhaps on a small platform/stage, to do a brief interview. I really dont know. But, for now, I am happy with the car send off. It works given the lack of any other ideas and the relucance of TV execs to want to do a large production thing.

I agree that the live stage evictions were event TV and were awesome. I absolutely loved those eviction shows and Friday Night live. I think the question is this ... would such a show work in modern times, and, if not, what to do?

I am not sure such a large show would work any more. For starters, they are costly, and need security etc, so TV execs are going to baulk at them. Secondly, you need somewhere to hold such a large show, and, it needs to be right next to (or very close to) the house. Dreamworld had the space. Thirdly, the host needs to be right for the job, and many people here have suggested that Sonia probably isn't the right person for the job. And so on and so forth.

So, a cut down version then? I don't know. Remember that small effort of a show they used to do with some family members and a small audience? It was tacky, lacked atmosphere, and simply didn't work. Not great TV at all.

So, whilst I would prefer a stage production with a large, loud, cheering audience etc, I really don't think it is going to happen. And a small, compact cut down show just doesn't work. So, whilst the car send off is brief, I think it's good enough to do the job. Perhaps they could elaborate on it a bit more with the HM getting more than 30 seconds to say something ... but not too long. Or maybe even have Sonia (or whomever) waiting outside, next to or near to the car, perhaps on a small platform/stage, to do a brief interview. I really dont know. But, for now, I am happy with the car send off. It works given the lack of any other ideas and the relucance of TV execs to want to do a large production thing.
I am with Timmy and sweet geek on this. It feels anticlimactic for both viewer and housemate to just walk out to nothing. Tully in her podcast said she went back to her hotel room and ordered herself a bottle of bubbly and called her man who was at a work function and hard to get hold of. It's not like they go to ponderosa like American survivor jury does and there are people to talk to. There is nothing. They don't get the hype of hearing that audiences are watching because they know nobody is watching.

Back