Skip to main content

How I'd improve Ch7's Big Brother

The only way to fix it is to cancel it. As Tim said in BBCAN about Nine's version of BBAU "it's fucked. it will be cancelled".

You may jest but he immediately sprang to my mind. He's got the passion and charisma, but would need to learn to focus on other people to succeed in that role.

Otherwise... Chrissie Swan perhaps?
Chrissy could be good.
I don’t know why, but I just associate the BB Host role with a motherly figure, like Gretel. So Chrissy would be a good option. Curious to see how she goes on the Masked Singer.

Sonya just has that drunk, racist Aunty vibe that hounds you at Christmas lunch about when you’re having children.

The only way to fix it is to cancel it. As Tim said in BBCAN about Nine's version of BBAU "it's fucked. it will be cancelled".

Oh it's completely fucked. Hypotheticals in this thread only.

You may jest but he immediately sprang to my mind. He's got the passion and charisma, but would need to learn to focus on other people to succeed in that role.

I’m pretty sure Chrissie was vocal about wanting the gig when it was rumoured the show was being rebooted in 2020. She seems to just be associated with channel 10 now so she might be an option if they ever reclaim the show.

Love Tim, but his voice is irritating sometimes. haha

And a HUGE no to Chrissie.

Hypothetically, I love the addition of having ex hms host at different times. Nostalgic, welcoming of a new type of bb, because it will have to be different to meet standards, regulations etc. but o don’t want just the recent hms but gonomder and go for the controversial ones too. They’ll relate to newer controversial hms and offer a varied perspective. I think for example Michael. He was an a hole but he was also well spoken

I’m pretty sure Chrissie was vocal about wanting the gig when it was rumoured the show was being rebooted in 2020. She seems to just be associated with channel 10 now so she might be an option if they ever reclaim the show.
No former HM should I host the show that made them famous in the first place. They can fill auxiliary roles but never as the main presenter. If BBAU returns on another network in the future they need to find a young (ish) up and coming presenter to fill the role. IMO if it’s going to be a back to basics series then wipe the slate clean and start fresh.

Freddy, you just literally described how BB was back on 10. It was never 100% live except for the evictions and nominations and what we saw was always pre recorded 24 hours in advance. And if the USA of all places where there is so much choice in entertainment can do online live feeds there is no reason why it can't be done in Australia again, other than producers being complete control freaks.

It's funny you say that @sav0001 . The more I typed, the more I realised that I was essentially describing original BB. However, I think that there should be some changes from that original format, to fit in with the modern, fast paced, social media filled world.

The biggest change from original format I think should be allowing strat chat and alliances. This gives viewers an understanding of HM thinking, and we also get a feel for how they believe they might be being perceived by the public. You mentioned the USA version ... I think they allow strat chat, don't they? Well, if that's the case, then I have just described a USA style version of BB, for Australia.

Outside contact with family members and loved ones was never allowed on original format BB ... but I think it should be allowed in a new format. However, it should be done in a similar way to how it is now with BB controlling when and how the outside contact takes place. We saw a different side of Johnson when his Mum and Dad were craned in to the house this season, and Tully's reaction to the miniature horse was good too. This kind of stuff shows the HMs personalities in ways that we, the viewers need to see. However, don't over do this stuff. Sometimes it can be overdone by production and it just gets too soppy.

I would also allow some form of audience participation. I'm not exactly sure how to do this, but I do believe it should be quite limited or restricted in some way. That said, the idea would be for the HMs to be able to get a feel for how the public percieves them. After all, it is the public doing the voting to evict. It might be access to a specific BB discusion forum that the HMs could use (no, not this one, but something similar). Perhaps the HMs can earn credits to use it by doing chores or other similar tasks. Again, I am not sure how to do this one, but I think giving the HMs access to the public, and vice versa, would really enhance it for both the HMs and the viewers too. There is a risk that it will get nasty as the public forms their opinions of different HMs, but if it is moderated, then that kind of stuff can be filtered out somewhat. Smart HMs would use this to gain public trust and to answer questions ... and would do their best to stay on the public's "good side". Dumb HMs would balls it up and perhaps fire back in a nasty way at certain questions, only serving to come across as idiots and thus falling out of public favour.

Speaking of audience participation, I also believe the audience should have some part to play in nominations. Perhaps the HMs only nominate two people, and the public nominate the third person. Again, the idea here is so the HMs get a gauge for how they are perceived by the public voters. It also allows the viewers to have more of a say in how the direction of the show goes ... no production interference. This would need to be done in a way that it could be audited. It won''t work if the public all think that Tony is a moron and they want Tony nominated, and then come eviction night, Bob ends up on the chair. The public will see right through that. So it needs to be auditable. Throw in the social media aspect in my previous paragraph, and overly-nominated HMs could use that web forum thing to ask the public why they keep getting nominated, for example. I do see a problem with this idea though ... if the public nominate the third HM and the public are voting, then this can be badly weighted against this poor HM. So some form of balancing that would need to be introduced. Perhaps the total number of votes for the public nominated HM are reduced by 75% or something, before being considered. Careful thought needed here.

Eviction night ... Sonia does not get to ask questions. Instead, each HM gets one question. And that question needs to be directed at another (only one) HM. That HM must answer ... no other HM is allowed to speak. There can be no "back-and-forth" discussion about the answer ... the HM answers, everbody (including the question asker) listens, and that is that. Whether you agree or disagree with their answer, or not. To avoid everybody asking Tim questions (like the truth pole), each HM is only allowed to answer a maximum of, say, 2 questions. So HMs better have more than one question prepared, for different HMs or else risk possibly missing out on a chance to ask a HM a question.

I do like the current evicition format ... you get evicted, you get in the car, you get driven away and you do a brief summary of your time. I think that works perfectly well. Full comment on your exit can be left for 7Plus and the Internet etc ... as it is now. I don't see a need for a stage production evicition with interviews and an audience and family members.

Last edited:
Even if they just rejig the format to focus more on a social game than a physical game. Channel 7 Big Brother needs to differentiate itself from being a knock-off Survivor. I had a rough format idea which could be cute and realistic enough for Seven to do.

Monday Episode:
Head of Household
I think it would be fun to bring in a sort of ratings/scoring system like they do in the Circle. Starting each week they could do a house ratings where each housemate has to score the each other housemate between 1-5 stars. The housemate with the highest score becomes the HOH for the week. I'd also like them to flesh out the HOH idea more by maybe including a HOH room and bring in what the dutch format does with HOH where they can set House Rules for the week.

Nominations
The two housemates with the lowest scores from the house ratings are automaticly nominated for eviction. Then the HOH has the sole power to nominate two other housemates of their choice to join them. These nominees will have to face both evictions that happen in the week.

Tuesday Episode:
Shopping Task
The usual shopping tasks.

Eviction #1
The housemates vote to evict one of the four nominees like they currently vote. One goes home.

Wednesday Episode:
Second Chance Challenge
The entire house competes in a Second Chance Challenge where the winner must choose one of the remaining three nominees to take off the block. If they take off one of the HOH's nominees then the HOH must name a replacement nominee but if they save one of the Ratings Nominees then the next lowest scorer is the replacement. Obviously have a mix of endurance, mental, physical competitions.

Eviction #2
The housemates vote to evict one of the three nominees like normal. One goes home.

It's not fleshed out but I would love them to focus more on being a SOCIAL experiment than a physical competition. This format would obviously keep an element of gameplay but it's more of a game where the housemates can choose if they want to play it or just go with the flow.

Also we need better casting because it's not great if your shows final five contains only one favourite (Reggie), three people (Johnson, Aliesha, Taras) that the general public really don't like, and one boring meathead (Brenton) who's brought nothing to the season. Give us some interesting, contriversial, loud characters who can carry the show with their personalities and interactions in the house.

In thinking about how to improve the format. Here's a thought experiment. Would this version of BB be fairer if instead of challenges, they all just pick balls out of a sack. Where one is a different colour to indicate winner?

Back