Skip to main content

How can Seven realisticly improve Big Brother?

Bertrendo

With a confirmed one more season on the way next year, I just want to hear other's opinions on this question. Its obvious that Seven will not run the show live, it will be pre-recorded. Realistically how can Seven restructure the show for next year in a way that is more entertaining than continual fake evictions and obvious production manipulation while still being pre-recorded?

For me, they need to...
  • Stretch the game out over two episodes, Nominations one night, eviction the other.
  • Add another element to the format, nominations and evictions over and over again gets boring. Add a Veto or some sort of new gameplay point if we're to focus on the game. Stop the fake evictions every episode! If producers want to have them, do a season-long exile island style twist instead of continual production decisions on who to save and send back in.
  • Shorten the episodes - the episodes somehow have too much crammed into them but still being incredible dull most of the time. Cut it down to an hour an episode and have the 3/4 episodes a week as well as be a bit more diverse in the content shown.
  • Develop housemates characters - Too much strategy and not enough daily conversations. The season needs a mix of character building and gameplaying strategy talks. Have a weekly family dinner where the housemates can scream and glass each other over petty arguments, give us scenes where we can fall in love with these housemates. Personally I have no emotional investment into tonight's finale because I don't care about these three. We've seen with Tilly and Angela, that we can fall in love with housemates in the seven era but we need more!
That's just my opinion but I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on how Seven can make a good season next year with the realistic limitations that we have and ensure we don't see the final nail in the BB Coffin so soon

I agree with most of what you're saying.

If they were sticking to the same format. They should produce some additional programing not focused on the game playing. Separate it as its own thing, not just a regular episode. Have it hosted, airing 9.30pm one night or more. Filmed the week of airing. Show us the more human and social side of the housemates and their time in the house. Conversations, arguments, fights, silly quirks some housemates have, stuff we're missing out on in this format. Bring on evicted housemates to discuss their time in the house and thoughts. Have some audience interaction. Have the host not aware of what happens beyond the current week.

It'd be a way to bring in various elements missing in this format, in a way that would work with the show being pre-recorded.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that "Second Chance Week" was them testing out the idea of allowing someone to be saved and introducing a bit of unpredictability to the eviction process. Hopefully they're happy with it that they decide to make it a permanent feature (though it really didn't change much of how things played out).

I agree with most of what you're saying.

If they were sticking to the same format. They should produce some additional programing not focused on the game playing. Separate it as its own thing, not just a regular episode. Have it hosted, airing 9.30pm one night or more. Filmed the week of airing. Show us the more human and social side of the housemates and their time in the house. Conversations, arguments, fights, silly quirks some housemates have, stuff we're missing out on in this format. Bring on evicted housemates to discuss their time in the house and thoughts. Have some audience interaction. Have the host not aware of what happens beyond the current week.

It'd be a way to bring in various elements missing in this format, in a way that would work with the show being pre-recorded.
I've suggested this before. You've made the show seems like a non-sexy version of BB Uncut. Really it doesn't need a host, just make it like the old Big Brother with a narrator, Goldman-style, which gives up some of that old school content where we got to know the HMs by them chatting and relaxing in a non-game format. Of course, that would actually require them to actually record that stuff, and I'm not convinced they bother any more. If they had to ask Danny to walk out a few times for his eviction so they could get different camera angles, it sounds like all those cameras in there are just for show.

They really neee to cut out the fake evictions, as it delays progress and makes the show feel like a drag. If they want to make he series last longer, then they should just have an eviction every 2 episodes instead of one. I don’t think the show really needs an eviction every episode. Classic BB survived with just one per week. The problem is that they set the show up in such a way where viewers expect an eviction every night, so when one doesn’t happen it feels very anticlimactic. They should have set eviction days, so viewers know when an eviction is coming and when one isn’t.

Example: Have 4 episodes per week from Sunday-Wednesday, ,with an eviction each Monday and Wednesday. The Sunday and Tuesday episodes can be used to develop the characters and social dynamics of the house, with maybe a weekly task occurring in those episodes. This would also solve the problem of a lack of content, as they would have a lot of episodes to just show the house interactions without having to fit challenges, nominations and evictions into every ep.

Last edited:
They really neee to cut out the fake evictions, as it delays progress and makes the show feel like a drag. If they want to make he series last longer, then they should just have an eviction every 2 episodes instead of one. I don’t think the show really needs an eviction every episode. Classic BB survived with just one per week. The problem is that they set the show up in such a way where viewers expect an eviction every night, so when one doesn’t happen it feels very anticlimactic. They should have set eviction days, so viewers know when an eviction is coming and when one isn’t.

Example: Have 4 episodes per week from Sunday-Wednesday, ,with an eviction each Monday and Wednesday. The Sunday and Tuesday episodes can be used to develop the characters and social dynamics of the house, with maybe a weekly task occurring in those episodes. This would also solve the problem of a lack of content, as they would have a lot of episodes to just show the house interactions without having to fit challenges and interactive into every ep.
I think there's probably broad agreement on this.

4 weekly episode format:
Sunday = Nominations
Tuesday = Veto Competition
Wednesday = Eviction
Thursday = 50/50 vote where Housemates and the Viewing Audience vote on Production Competence and have the choice of voting out 1, 2, 3 or 4 members of production team to be replaced with one of the evicted housemates.

Agree with most of what's already been said. The number of fake evictions this season has been ridiculous predictable and boring. I'd love a Veto competition also and as has already been commented, more time focusing on the housemates.

I like Sonya but I'm getting a little burnt out on seeing her face on just about every other Ch 7 production now. I was recently rewatching BBAU 2008 and I thought Mike and Jackie O did a pretty good job as hosts. Not everyone's cup of tea, I suppose, but they were okay.

And stop having contests where the housemates can win food. One or two is okay in a season but there have been too many. Come up with some fresh ideas to keep us and the housemates entertained.

Agree with most of what's already been said. The number of fake evictions this season has been ridiculous predictable and boring. I'd love a Veto competition also and as has already been commented, more time focusing on the housemates.

I like Sonya but I'm getting a little burnt out on seeing her face on just about every other Ch 7 production now. I was recently rewatching BBAU 2008 and I thought Mike and Jackie O did a pretty good job as hosts. Not everyone's cup of tea, I suppose, but they were okay.

And stop having contests where the housemates can win food. One or two is okay in a season but there have been too many. Come up with some fresh ideas to keep us and the housemates entertained.
Yeah I agree with what you said about Mike and Jackie O. I remember watching them at the time and thinking they seemed a pretty good hosting duo, much better that Kyle "The twitch" who was off sick when Mike stepped in. Maybe Sonya and Mike could co-host next year, I know it's a bit of a long shot but Mike doesn't seem to be doing much else these days.

Dont call it big brother. I will still watch it but it’s not big brother. That’s my issue. To call the show bb then a whole lot needs to change where we are still getting updates as if we are getting info on the hms full days. More one on conversations need to be shown to build character development and involvement. We should be able to relate to the hms in someway, where societal issues are brought up in conversations. It should not be so controlled where only a selection of hms are shown (or in this case only one was really promoted). Unfiltered footage needs to be promoted to some degree too. It’s too sterile to be called bb. I understand they need to make this more family friendly since that’s where they are going with it, but it needs something to also cater to the middle and older crowd. If you are going to have people like SJ on there than surely you can show more adult stuff too.

I was listening to the full theme song of Big Brother today and it just reminds me of the good old days and how Big Brother was such an exciting show.

This version we have now ain’t Big Brother at all. 😤

Maybe 7 should go back to the drawing board and do Big Brother the way it used to be. It’s so dull now.

Another request for next years live final. We need more than the boring live reunion!

Keep the three in the house for one more day after the final eviction have show there final day in the house, have the housemates come back and have the reunion in the house MAFS style, or have the family and friends come in.

then have the dramatic leaving the house and with the magic of television onto the live stage for the final three interviews and the winner reveal.

A proper intro showing all of the housemates, Veto and way less production interference! This season was far too obvious who got production interference to save them when the winner just plays a good old social game and wins. Also show some more heart to heart conversations so that we get to know the housemates properly instead of 7 and the producers who they think is worthy of screen time.

why do they need to film it months in advance? they only air 3 episodes a week. can they not edit those on the fly?
just seems like they have a lot more to gain by airing it as it happens instead of on a 3 month delay for seemingly not much reason

Pre-recorded is here to stay, It gives Seven more control and confidence on what the series will end up being instead of the risks doing it live. There's very little chance that Big Brother is going back to being a live show, unfortunately.

Another request for next years live final. We need more than the boring live reunion!

Keep the three in the house for one more day after the final eviction have show there final day in the house, have the housemates come back and have the reunion in the house MAFS style, or have the family and friends come in.

then have the dramatic leaving the house and with the magic of television onto the live stage for the final three interviews and the winner reveal.
Bring back the final 3 watching the news to see what they missed over the past x amount of days !!

Back