Skip to main content

Housemate clones.

This year during the audition process Alex M made a point of saying that they were not casting this years series by looking for the new Tim or new Tully. Looking at this years bunch, however, I would say that is exactly what they did. I was prompted to start this thread after learning that last year there was a choice between Tahan and Aisha for the 2013 season and they ended up choosing Tahan. It has made me realise that they have tried to cast the same type of characters for this years show.

Look at these comparisons:

2014=2013
Jake=Tim
Lisa=Tully
Aisha=Tahan
Priya=Mikkayla
Jason=Ben
Dion=Ed

It is particularly obvious in the Jake, Lisa and Aisha selections. They are meant to be the next Tim, Tully, and Tahan. Unfortunately for the producers, they are not nearly as interesting and entertaining as Tim, Tully, and Tahan were.

2988867-yoda_failed.jpg

Ben was completely contrived and manipulative. Playing the game is not a reason to dislike someone, as everyone is 'playing the game' in their own way. That's the point of the show. I found Ben's strategy to be extremely transparent, manipulative and frankly lame. He was SO DESPERATE TO GET HIS HANDS ON THAT MONEY.

From day 1 he entered the house as a CHARACTER. Now I don't know Ben in real life, but the caricature of the innocent and awkward mommy's boy didn't match up with the fired flight attendant and budding stand up comedian (look it up) that was revealed upon research.

Manipulation and fakeness:
*Constant pajamas as a calling card - total gimmick. Tim had his skeleton onesie, but never milked it that hard. Ben was relentless with the Pjs.
* The whole thing with walking around with his mum's photo and talking to the photo. Clearly a ploy to get solo air time, air his exposition, and to communicate with viewers directly.
* Always playing the victim to make others looks bad, especially Tim. For a time Tim and Ben were clearly big rivals, as Tim himself will admit it was between him and Ben for the prize. Ben would 'get upset' at what Tim would say so Tim looked like a 'villain' while Ben looked innocent.
*Ben would CONSTANTLY be on and on about how he can't afford to eat much at home, his clothes are from best N less. My shoes cost $6 etc. etc. Clearly to endear himself to the viewers as someone who not only deserves but NEEDS the money.
* I felt a few times we saw a subtly vindictive side to Ben but can't remember specific examples so I'll let that one go.

I can't remember much of what went on a year ago but at the time I had a dossier in my mind of Ben's contradictions and fallacies.
Yep, what @redbull said.
There was also that he absolutely denied he was playing the game when it was so blatant it was laughable. Had he admitted it, then fair enough but he was trying to play the audience too. Tim knew he was doing it but when he called him on it he would cry. At least Tim admitted he was manipulating people and situations. Ben just lied and play acted. And yes, you're right, someone who has such confidence issues as he played on doesn't get on stage and do stand up comedy. He hasn't had any confidence issues doing all of those personal appearances since getting out of the house either you'll notice.

Ben was completely contrived and manipulative. Playing the game is not a reason to dislike someone, as everyone is 'playing the game' in their own way. That's the point of the show. I found Ben's strategy to be extremely transparent, manipulative and frankly lame. He was SO DESPERATE TO GET HIS HANDS ON THAT MONEY.

From day 1 he entered the house as a CHARACTER. Now I don't know Ben in real life, but the caricature of the innocent and awkward mommy's boy didn't match up with the fired flight attendant and budding stand up comedian (look it up) that was revealed upon research.

Manipulation and fakeness:
*Constant pajamas as a calling card - total gimmick. Tim had his skeleton onesie, but never milked it that hard. Ben was relentless with the Pjs.
* The whole thing with walking around with his mum's photo and talking to the photo. Clearly a ploy to get solo air time, air his exposition, and to communicate with viewers directly.
*Doing things like singing, dancing and talking to himself in rooms alone so he could get some solo air time and further play up his caricature e.g dancing in the room and talking about the nerd strikes back or some crap.
* Always playing the victim to make others looks bad, especially Tim. For a time Tim and Ben were clearly big rivals, as Tim himself will admit it was between him and Ben for the prize. Ben would 'get upset' at what Tim would say so Tim looked like a 'villain' while Ben looked innocent.
*Ben would CONSTANTLY be on and on about how he can't afford to eat much at home, his clothes are from best N less. My shoes cost $6 etc. etc. Clearly to endear himself to the viewers as someone who not only deserves but NEEDS the money.
* I felt a few times we saw a subtly vindictive side to Ben but can't remember specific examples so I'll let that one go.

I can't remember much of what went on a year ago but at the time I had a dossier in my mind of Ben's contradictions and fallacies.
Thinking back I do remember seeing that he'd done stand up comedy and it had made me wonder if he was just putting it on... I think in the end he entertained me so I didn't care.
Now that you've pointed out that he consistently went on about being poor.. It does seem like a sneaky way to get around big brothers rule of not being allowed to talk about what you will do with the prize money/why you deserve it.

It just really felt like we never saw him be 'real' and was constantly 'acting' and being calculating with his actions and reactions.

He would talk about how virginal and sexless he was and how he couldn't get dates etc.
Then we would see him drunk and getting really pervy with Drew. It was a contradiction. To me, this drunk and horny Ben was the only time he was 'real'.

I suppose.. Although I know a lot of shy people who get really horny when they're drunk! Haha
But I see your point.

I'm not a Tully stan, but was that swipe really necessary? A lot of people think you got Drew and Tahan onto the show last year, so maybe put yourself into her shoes.

Tully has said that herself (tweeted that she “personally hand fed her to BB”) - pretty sure no swiping was intended. :)

Jason and Ben? Just because they're both gay? I don't see any similarities at all.

Aisha is a lot more reserved than Tahan was. If anything Katie has the same feisty streak in her that Tahan has.

The only housemate that I can see being similar to anyone from last year is Tully/Lisa.

Tahan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aisha
Lisa + saggy boobs - constant tears = Tully
Tim = one of a kind, everyone else go home

I can see some similarities - especially if you think in the narrow, xenophobic terms of channel 9.

Three boofs - okker Travis and Caleb, somewhat strategic Ryan and Ed, strong silent Dion and Matt.

Triple J types David and Lawson and Tim and Drew (Michael was the exact archetype as Tim - funny ginger genius destined to win.)

Opinionated minority teacher - Priya and Mikkayla

Emotional inner city girl with issues and long mousy roots and blonde ends - Lisa and Tully

Smoking hot minority girl - Aisha and Tahan

Goofy Gay - Jason and Ben..

not sure why anyone thinks aisha is tahan 2.0.
even more shocking is the claim they somehow resemble eachother!
This is what I keep wondering!!! I've said this time and time again. They're both very attractive but that's it. Otherwise they are chalk and cheese.

tahan - bitchy and then excused herself by saying she was keeping it real. actually she was a pretty good housemate cos she didnt put up with bullshit.

aisha - only been 2 weeks but she has been pretty different to her. can't even see her having a mean streak. UNLESS old mate travis gets in her ear about other people. then we got a problem

lisa and tully - lisa is pretty dramatic but she wont get to tullys level.

jake and tim - jake got big shoes to fill there. hes quirky like tim but i think the expectation is too high.

ryan and caleb - unless ryan starts getting close to a girl he's leaving soon

travis and ? - this dude reminds me of the 05-06 days when all the blokes wanted to smash any and every girl in the house

sam and matt - same 'hero' story, boring housemate

skye and popular female housemates - she's like christie, aliesha and bridgette rolled in one

katie and tahan - this is actually the closest representation to last year. both are alpha bitches.

priya and mikkayla - priya is the mikkayla that mikkayla thought she was

sandra and sharon - less said the better

the rest are all pretty original

lisa and tully - lisa is pretty dramatic but she wont get to tullys level.

jake and tim - jake got big shoes to fill there. hes quirky like tim but i think the expectation is too high.

ryan and caleb - unless ryan starts getting close to a girl he's leaving soon

travis and ? - this dude reminds me of the 05-06 days when all the blokes wanted to smash any and every girl in the house

sam and matt - same 'hero' story, boring housemate

skye and popular female housemates - she's like christie, aliesha and bridgette rolled in one

katie and tahan - this is actually the closest representation to last year. both are alpha bitches.

priya and mikkayla - priya is the mikkayla that mikkayla thought she was

sandra and sharon - less said the better

the rest are all pretty original
I agree with nearly all of these except for the Sandra/Sharon part. I thought Cat was more like Sharon because she seemed the maturest and quiet. Oh, and Jake is very quiet and reserved, so unlike Tim. But a good list nonetheless. :)

Oh, and I really agree about Travis being in the likes of the horny 05-06 male housemates. He indeed was. Although he isn't of a swearer at least. I like that about him - doesn't swear every second like those losers from BB05-06...

Back