Skip to main content

House Rules 2018

Here's the problem with this show from here on in. They've just eliminated by far the three most "watchable" teams and are left with rubbish teams that no one really wants to (Mel & Dave) or believe deserves to win (Chiara and David, Toad & Mandy). If Toad and Mandy win, it's because they've been handed it.

I propose they all be happy with their free reno's and no one wins.

Disappointingly predictable result so they can have their perfectly set up finale with one "good" and one "evil" team, where the farm kids will run out and and everyone but Mel will cry and good will marginally triumph in the end and we are supposed to feel that the "right" team won.

The series has clearly been set up as Mel & Dave v Chiria & David so that would have been their perfect final set up. I still don't know how Toad & Maddie got to the final - guess they've just been quietly getting on with things without slagging anyone off, so not getting much airtime.

Although I think it is the longest series so far hasn't felt so dragged out in the final stages as earlier series, but am glad it's over next week.

Last edited:
It's the first season I've truly struggled with, especially after all the "nice" teams were eliminated. I know it's supposed to be about the renovations but nobody has done anything that blows me away and no one strikes me as being particularly good at it. Plus the judges are dreadful, and more often than not give the highest points to the most tacky, tasteless zone.

I don't know what Toad & Mandy did to Kristie but she was casting more stank-eye than Mel at the result!

And is Lee some kind of footballer? I know Jared is, and tonight they hinted they had played together.

So he didn't even have a fight with the players, it was with the bloody cheerleaders. Somehow that doesn't surprise me!

Predictable result and although Toad and Mandie did IMO win the final round they were far from the overall best team of the series. That said I don't begrudge them the win.

Front Yards didn't really work for the final, so hopefully they go back to doing them with the back yards next year and either return to the "secret room" or perhaps end things with the charity house.

Anyway, glad it is coming back but the level definately needs to go up as it has dropped quite significantly over the last couple of years. There used to be "wow" moments every week but there have barely been any this series. It won't happen too but the format needs to go back to being more about the renovating and less about the judging - the reveals would be much better kept to a single episode as they used to be.

I liked the house party finale and revealing the secret room...this finale felt like a real let down.

The "winner announced" part only scored 915,000 viewers and only 853,000 for the rest of the show in the overnight (5 city) ratings. That's... not great. I hope this show is on the way out. I wish The Block would follow suit (but I know it won't).

Reactions: kxk
I liked the house party finale and revealing the secret room...this finale felt like a real let down.
Agree - the finales feel so flat being purely from Home Base and frankly front gardens was not challenging enough for the finale, especially when both wanted fairly simple designs. If not doing the secret rooms would have been better to end with the final 3 challenge, especially when as in some years they effectively do one house each.

Was inevitable Durie would host. Guess the co-host will do the format points in the week which we really don't want, and who gives a toss about renovating penthouses etc. That's what the Block is for - if anything the show needs to double down on the elements which are unique - renovating each others houses and actually making homes for people, rather than to sell - that's what makes it most interesting.

Back