Skip to main content

House Rules 2018

Sick of the misleading ads. Not that I ever believed that David & Kiara would "go too far" and smash something of Mel & Dave's, but that's what they tried to make it look like.

And a "catastrophe" for Toad & Mandy tomorrow.

I'm watching...I loved the boys zone,they did need some shade but seriously they can just buy a big umbrella

I'm watching...I loved the boys zone,they did need some shade but seriously they can just buy a big umbrella

Exactly. There was nothing in their zone that couldn't be moved around, or shade added.
Some of the zones they loved were just a cluttered mess. And the zone for Kim & Michelle in particular was too cluttered for an area where kids will be running around making mess.

Not one of those garden makeovers was worthy of a 10. In fact, they were more like 6's or 7's, at best an 8. Cluttered, tacky and pointless were just some words I'd use, while the judges raved.

Who even needs a pizza place you'd use once a year, while at the same time tearing down a practical shed that actually holds the stuff you need to maintain this new garden and turf, you know like a lawn mower or garden tools. Plus, all this stuff hanging everywhere exposed in the garden will either blow away, smash or be wrecked at the first sign of rain.

Mel and Dave's kids garden was so fricking dangerous, Michelle and Kim better have triple 0 on speed dial when someone tumbles down or smashes open their skull on the rock wall.

Noticed an ear piece in one of the judges ears during the score reveals. For me, this pretty much confirms the judges scoring on this show is rigged. The edit is pointing towards a Toad and Mandy win, with Ciara being kept around to be adversary to Mel during the final show/s.

Last edited:
LOL :p

Judging tonight was ridiculous. They obviously want certain teams in the finals and so gave over-inflated scores. I'm looking at you Mel & Dave and Toad & Mandy.
100% agree, scoring on the last gardens was a total rort to manipulate the end result. The brothers got completely dudded. Their garden was fine, and at least looked like good quality bones to work with later when you take away all the tacky ass crap that this show seems to think you should fill your garden with.

Last edited:
Not one of those garden makeovers was worthy of a 10. In fact, they were more like 6's or 7's, at best an 8. Cluttered, tacky and pointless were just some words I'd use, while the judges raved.

Who even needs a pizza place you'd use once a year, while at the same time tearing down a practical shed that actually holds the stuff you need to maintain this new garden and turf, you know like a lawn mower or garden tools. Plus, all this stuff hanging everywhere exposed in the garden will either blow away, smash or be wrecked at the first sign of rain.

Mel and Dave's kids garden was so fricking dangerous, Michelle and Kim better have triple 0 on speed dial when someone tumbles down or smashes open their skull on the rock wall.

Noticed an ear piece in one of the judges ears during the score reveals. For me, this pretty much confirms the judges scoring on this show is rigged. The edit is pointing towards a Toad and Mandy win, with Ciara being kept around to be adversary to Mel during the final show/s.
I noticed one in Georges ear on this last episode of masterchef as well

Although overall I liked that the contestants could score the gardens for the first time it became really flawed in the last round with it being a triple elimination and the two teams scoring being two in danger, though in the end I think even had both given scores of 0 they'd have still been out. Might have been wiser for this round for them to just give 5 bonus point to their preferred zone.

Kim and Michelle the winners so far though - thought they got the best interior and they've certainly got the best exterior, even if nobody thought to mention that the "private oasis" meant Granny Kim could have a bath in full view of her grandchildren in the pool and play area below.

Not sure how it pans out from here - assume there is some kind of charity house again before the final. A shame they ditched the "fix up" round as there was a lot to fix up this year and I think going from 6 to 3 in one step was a bit much. They should have reduced the garden rounds to 3 episodes each (the judging could easily have been done in one episode) and then had a "24 hour fix up" to get from 4 to 3.

Does anyone else think they deliberately eliminated the boys and Kim & Michelle, to leave no obstacles to Toad & Mandy winning? The public support was always going to be with one of those three teams, and no one would be satisfied with the "go getters" or "hotheads" winning. We've been manipulated, so that when Toad & Mandy win, and Toad cries as the kids run out, we'll get the feelgood vibes and feel the right team won.

I don't buy the fix theory but am baffled how Toad and Mandy got to the top three when I honestly can't remember any of their efforts from earlier in the competition. I'd also argue a permanent conversion of a shed to pizza bar is not a "pop up pizza joint" considering it's permanently there. The final three are the top three from the interior phase too, so fair enough.

I can't remember ever being so bored with House Rules, or not wanting anyone in the top three to win.

Reactions: kxk
I gave up on this show after series 3, it got so weird........and never even tempted to return
7 just kills every RTV show.......tortures and kills it, slowly, it is like watching a show get hung/drawn/quartered

So, last night I took a peek waiting for something........

OMG......it is even worse than I imagined......the contestants are sooooooooooo ROUGH
And they made the tackiest crappiest messy backyards
I imagine these houses look tacky
People hating each other isn't fun to watch, it seemed very mean

I imagine these houses look tacky
In the early 90s I visited the set of Shortland Street in Auckland. I was amazed how crap and fake it was in reality... carpet laid over carpet etc.. things that you couldn't see on (standard definition) TV at the time, where it all looked pretty smart and convincing.

So now they use HD cameras, I'm not sure how good the 'good' rooms are, because I always think back to that.

Reactions: kxk
Back