Skip to main content

House Rules 2018

This sharing the back yard is a stupid idea,one of the rules should be that the zones need to flow.The boys yard looked so deurmekaar and not flowing at all.

The first four seasons definately had a public vote (though think it was 50/50 with judges scores). Not sure they had that last year though as I think the final was pre-recorded rather than live.

And I see they even milked the judging for the garden episodes over two hours - as long as they gave to the reno itself. If they want to give the gardens four episodes fair enough but the judging could easily take place in one episode - give the extra time to the reno instead. Also although I don't like they've scrapped the "front and back" element I do like that the tweak to the gardens rounds now means the homeowners get to score as well.

I want to throw something at the TV when the contestants return to their place and then promptly shit all over their new garden/pools/patios/decks, when firstly, they probably could never afford it themselves, and secondly, could never achieve it without the 100+ helpers, tradies, suppliers and installers involved in the process. The total ungratefulness and nit-picking is really starting to piss me off.

I want to throw something at the TV when the contestants return to their place and then promptly shit all over their new garden/pools/patios/decks, when firstly, they probably could never afford it themselves, and secondly, could never achieve it without the 100+ helpers, tradies, suppliers and installers involved in the process. The total ungratefulness and nit-picking is really starting to piss me off.

Taking points off because "it needs a chair here". Buy your own chair!

I know right? I have big patches where the lawn has died (we had water shortages so there was restrictions in place) and I cant afford to go buy new grass to replace it.I definitely cant afford to build a deck,wood is super expensive.

I would literally rejoice at receiving the boys backyard transformation, even if it was left bare of furniture or any of that extra stuff. I'd be so stoked. Yet, they like "this really isn't what I envisioned here" or "this furniture isn't bogan-aussie enough for me, it's too modern". You just got a free pool dude!

Michelle is a trooper the way she tried to lay the pavers herself. I don't know what the panic attack was about though, the crisis with the spider was over. But if it is a genuine phobia then she has no control over it I guess.

Trouble is the reveal is so edited now we don't get to see their genuine reactions. In the earlier series they did the instant reveal and then went through the zones after with a more critical eye - I suspect that is still how they film it but they edit it together so badly now it jars and they're clearly encouraged to find fault.

The Block NZ started again today if you feel like a change. I liked the earlier ones but I think I skipped last year (? can't remember). Might give it a chance again though.

The judges on this really are useless. The comments don't match the scores. How can you whine about almost everything and then give an eight? How can you give a 5 for one half of a zone and zero for the other? Zero, really? So there is not one positive thing they can say about several days of work?
And another zone is marked down for being too tasteful.

Back