Skip to main content

House Rules 2018

Exactly. They've cut one show from the renovation process over the last couple of years, but sadly only to make way for spreading the judging over two shows.

And the renovation stage is now far less natural - it's built around the producer interventions of the bonus room and statement piece rather than what the teams are doing.

I've caught up now. I agree, the pacing is wrong this season - too much focus on the judges, and the statement pieces are a waste of time.

Frustrating judging this week where the teams got slammed by the judges for not knowing where to draw the line even though the house rules explicitly state that they must go OTT.

The quality seems to have gone down hill now too - in the first four years by the last couple of renovations 10s were common place but the last couple of years you're lucky at this stage to see a team get three eights.

And my point about the judges not judging on the home owners house rules was proven tonight - they got exactly what they wanted from it.

I assume after the final renovation they're going to skip to the gardens and do six rather than four. What a shame Leigh and Kristie won't get their garden done.

Frustrating judging this week where the teams got slammed by the judges for not knowing where to draw the line even though the house rules explicitly state that they must go OTT.

Especially from LLB, who is so ridiculously OTT that how can you possibly take his "too OTT" judgment seriously?

I zone out during those bits.

With the affore mentioned newer annoyances I was reminded today of one thing that's griped me from the early series - the time. They get just 7 days to do the reno, yet according to the clock today at 5 days and 6 hours to go, so 42 hours in (so fair to say two working days) they were just beginning to mark out the space they wanted. WTF were they doing for the first two days???

The timescale never seems to make much sense, Like all of these shows, where people are still installing fridges/plating up with 30 seconds to go. Either no one has any time-management skills at all, or they have been asked to make it dramatic.

Regarding what David & Chiara are attempting to do in ensuring Leigh and Kristie go home... Regardless of how horrible they are, isn't that just cheating? Arrempting to rig the outcome for personal reasons should be stamped on by the producers (but won't be as they love the drama). If you're going to play House Rules as Survivor, do it as a blindside, don't tell everyone about it.

And why does Chiara's husband call her "Cara", yet everyone else calls her "Kiera", or in Joh's case, "Kiara"?

I'm tired of the lies. I'm sure they advertised that one team would be going home last night, but of course they dragged the show out with the statement piece judging, and now the elimination is on Sunday. And of course Leigh & Christie won the extra builders, how lucky.

The feelgood elimination tonight. It wasn't ever in much doubt really, as despite their criticisms, Toad and Mandy aren't strategic enough to fail someone's bonus room.

Leigh looked like he was trying to say he'd "shit in the other team's mouths" before Kristie shot him a glance that told him to change it to something slightly more civil.

So as predicted six teams do the gardens, but looks like they only get their backyards done with it reformated as the Backyard Battles, with half the teams eliminated after. I'm thinking/hoping Frontyard Finals might follow!

With the increase from 4 to 6 teams at this stage and each set of gardens now three nights rather than two they've more than double the amount of shows on the gardens, and that's one area where I think it's not a problem. Also hope that now the homeowners aren't renovating whilst their gardens are done they'll get to score as well as so often the judges scores don't reflect what the homeowners want.

As for editing though, think it was Tuesday's show which ended on all the big drama about Davia and Ciara having to change their whole design and cut it all down - and then on Wednesday from what I saw the new amended design wasn't even mentioned.

From what I can tell from a group I am in on facebook,the following teams do not have front yards done and one who does
Mel and Daves front yard is done .The guys team front yard is not done and neither is kim and michelles

As rotten as they are, Mel and Dave have the win already in the bag. The others just can't compete close to the same standard.

I really want them to reveal how much these reno's cost. I looked up the Smeg fridge $3000+, plus the two small mint bathroom basins were $700 each. The stuff they use is sooo expensive, your average person could never afford. It's all well and good to say your property has risen from $750k to $1m but is it that great if the reno cost $300k? You've actually lost $50k.

Last edited:
I can see a Mel & Dave win too, unfortunately. They give me the heebeegeebees, especially her.

Back