Skip to main content

House Rules 2018

He's completely superfluous. I have no idea why Seven brought him back as it was obvious last year. LLB was quite scathing towards him then, and Wendy immediately jumped on the bandwagon. It's painful to watch.

He's completely superfluous. I have no idea why Seven brought him back as it was obvious last year. LLB was quite scathing towards him then, and Wendy immediately jumped on the bandwagon. It's painful to watch.

LLB does the theatrical put-downs but actually scores fairly. Drew has no personality, and scores low as though the whole thing is beneath him.

Getting a bit sick of being sucked in by the promos. "You won't believe Mel & Dave's scores", followed by the other teams saying they are scoring strategically etc. But in the end they scored everyone 6 or higher, apart from one team who got a 4, which is legitimately worth bitching about. But it wasn't the drama we were led to believe.

So far Leigh and Kristi are the team I do not like at all.That hallway was atrocious,David needs to stop crying and start listening to his wife more

I like the brothers. "FLASH!"
"It looks like they ran out of time to put it all together, ay?"

Well I have quit. I'm done with House Rules. Like The Block and MKR, I got to a point where I simply didn't care any more. Feel a bit sad though, it's hard to let go but I have done it.

Well I have quit. I'm done with House Rules. Like The Block and MKR, I got to a point where I simply didn't care any more. Feel a bit sad though, it's hard to let go but I have done it.

That's a shame, but yeah, you gave this season a chance and it was a dud, no need to prolong the boredom. Especially as you presumably have to go out of your way to watch things, so why waste it on something you no longer enjoy.

That's a shame, but yeah, you gave this season a chance and it was a dud, no need to prolong the boredom. Especially as you presumably have to go out of your way to watch things, so why waste it on something you no longer enjoy.
ha yeah I definitely miss my PVR and being able to timeshift and skip ads. Catchup is not nearly as reliable, esp from here. I love reno shows but this is the same as MKR where being able to cook isn't even a prerequisite to being cast. Oh well.

Judge Drew is a bit of a downer isn't he?
I do love watching his obvious hatred for Lawrence though. Personally I prefered Joe Snell to Lawrence and Drew - yes, he wasn't anything to shout about but at least the judging was all about the contestants efforts and not about the judges.

Really really really hate the drawn out judging process now - it fills two hours but I actually feel you get far less from it than you used too when they did it in about half an hour.

Especially hate now how we only see the broken bitesize reaction to the rooms from the homeowners rather than seeing them come in and see their whole house - it all comes across on screen as just a series of unconnected room rather than a house. Part of that is due to the editing but the main reason is how they split the zones across the house rather than giving contestants spaces that flow into each other as they used too - all because back in an early series somebody had an argument over space and then producers decided we want to watch that every week.

Brekkie, you hit on the head one of the things that is wrong about this season, though I hadn't realised it until you expressed it. I have absolutely no idea of the layout of the houses, they do seem like isolated rooms, or "zones". Even this week when they opened the door to the secret room and had to close it again until later, I would have loved if the camera had panned in and we went into the room with them.

Caught up with yesterdays episode - nearly 15 minutes they bloody wasted on the whole pretending to sleep in the tent saga. The producers have clearly forgotten what the show is all about - let the contestants personalities shine through their renovation skills and natural interactions, not staged drama and pre-produced segments.

The show is just so over produced now - it needs to go back to basics and focus on what the show should be about - the renovations and the process the contestants go through. The drama will come naturally out of that. I also think producers are deliberately looking for a villian where there isn't one as every year there tends to be that one team who fits the role, but this year there really isn't so they're playing up anything minor to be something it isn't.

Caught up with yesterdays episode - nearly 15 minutes they bloody wasted on the whole pretending to sleep in the tent saga. The producers have clearly forgotten what the show is all about - let the contestants personalities shine through their renovation skills and natural interactions, not staged drama and pre-produced segments.

The show is just so over produced now - it needs to go back to basics and focus on what the show should be about - the renovations and the process the contestants go through. The drama will come naturally out of that. I also think producers are deliberately looking for a villian where there isn't one as every year there tends to be that one team who fits the role, but this year there really isn't so they're playing up anything minor to be something it isn't.

The villians are Leigh and Kristie

I've been watching bits of this lately, and one thing has become clear. It's rigged for the bogan brothers to win.

As for last night, I've never seen two people more ungrateful over a free renovation on their wood-shack semi-dump.

I'm about 4 episodes behind but I will get there. I think they should cut down the episode count per week. Tighter editing and less episodes would make it less of a chore.

I'm about 4 episodes behind but I will get there. I think they should cut down the episode count per week. Tighter editing and less episodes would make it less of a chore.
Exactly. They've cut one show from the renovation process over the last couple of years, but sadly only to make way for spreading the judging over two shows.

And the renovation stage is now far less natural - it's built around the producer interventions of the bonus room and statement piece rather than what the teams are doing.

Back