Skip to main content

Horrible Histories

Kismet

This IS me.
Yes, perhaps showing both my inner and outer dork, but I LOVE this show.

Has anyone else here watched it? I have to presume some have given other shows they ADMIT to watching.

Yes, perhaps showing both my inner and outer dork, but I LOVE this show.

Has anyone else here watched it? I have to presume some have given other shows they ADMIT to watching.
Lol.. My 6 and 8 year olds love it, so I see it by default. It's pretty cool - I studied history for a couple of years and it's way better than lectures were!

Lol.. My 6 and 8 year olds love it, so I see it by default. It's pretty cool - I studied history for a couple of years and it's way better than lectures were!

I KNOW!! I adore and unashamedly, each and every persona Tim Howarth "becomes", I am THERE! :joyful:

I am ticked off they have stopped making it but they probably have gone on to do more with their own careers.

So happy that someone else on here know's what was being talking about, so thank you! lol

I KNOW!! I adore and unashamedly, each and every persona Tim Howarth "becomes", I am THERE! :joyful:

I am ticked off they have stopped making it but they probably have gone on to do more with their own careers.

So happy that someone else on here know's what was being talking about, so thank you! lol
But now I have the theme song stuck in my head... ;-)

Holy crap, I LOVE this show!!!

Been a history nut for years; love the way you can actually learn something but it's so funny as well (hello Monty Python and Blackadder).

Just recently (completely legally) acquired Series 5.

The songs are awesome. The whole cast is incredible, but Matthew Baynton and Jim Howe are particularly brilliant.

So glad to know I'm not the only adult to dig it!

:happy:

Holy crap, I LOVE this show!!!

Been a history nut for years; love the way you can actually learn something but it's so funny as well (hello Monty Python and Blackadder).

Just recently (completely legally) acquired Series 5.

The songs are awesome. The whole cast is incredible, but Matthew Baynton and Jim Howe are particularly brilliant.

So glad to know I'm not the only adult to dig it!

:happy:

It's a staple in our house too!!! My favourite songs (personally) are The THINKERS song and also Richard III. I could watch a marathon of eps and it wouldn't get old.

Just sad it's no longer in production.

One thing though, the show has prompted one of my daughters to make her own Herstory stuff. (due to their showing of Boudicca) on You Tube re women throughout history who ROCKED. She's working on the first one now... Agrippa the Elder.;)

It's a staple in our house too!!! My favourite songs (personally) are The THINKERS song and also Richard III. I could watch a marathon of eps and it wouldn't get old.

Just sad it's no longer in production.

One thing though, the show has prompted one of my daughters to make her own Herstory stuff. (due to their showing of Boudicca) on You Tube re women throughout history who ROCKED. She's working on the first one now... Agrippa the Elder.;)

I love the "Boudicca" song!

I'm getting confused... I know the Agrippa who was Octavian's general at the battle of Actium; wasn't there an Agrippina (Nero's mother/Caligula's sister/Claudius' wife?) Not sure about elder/younger?

I think my favourite sketch was their take on The Iliad (Series 1, ep. ... 7 maybe?)

Yeah, sad they stopped, but glad it finished while they were still on top of their game.

I love the "Boudicca" song!

I'm getting confused... I know the Agrippa who was Octavian's general at the battle of Actium; wasn't there an Agrippina (Nero's mother/Caligula's sister/Claudius' wife?) Not sure about elder/younger?

I think my favourite sketch was their take on The Iliad (Series 1, ep. ... 7 maybe?)

Yeah, sad they stopped, but glad it finished while they were still on top of their game.

Yes you are correct. I was on the ipad last night and it auto correct Agrippina to Agrippa. It's Caligula's mum. She's making it both informative and amusing. She's working on a particularly funny skit as to how Gaius was "re-named" Caligula, really working the "little boots" angle!:tongue:

Her next one is going to be on Salome Alexandra (Shlom Tzion).:)

Their take on The Iliad was great. I LOVE any and all Historical Masterchef sketches too. Jim plays Greg Wallace to perfection! lol

Yes you are correct. I was on the ipad last night and it auto correct Agrippina to Agrippa. It's Caligula's mum. She's making it both informative and amusing. She's working on a particularly funny skit as to how Gaius was "re-named" Caligula, really working the "little boots" angle!:tongue:

Her next one is going to be on Salome Alexandra (Shlom Tzion).:)

Their take on The Iliad was great. I LOVE any and all Historical Masterchef sketches too. Jim plays Greg Wallace to perfection! lol

Sorry! Got my Elder/Younger Agrippinas mixed up. They were mother and daughter, I think?

I've always loved the Julio-Claudian emperors. Don't know if you've seen it, but I highly recommend the 1976(?) BBC series I, Claudius. 12 hours of absolute brilliance; the first time I watched it I pulled an all-nighter 'cause I couldn't stop! John Hurt's Caligula is phenomenal.

Back on topic, yeah the Masterchefs are awesome! Also a big fan of Bob Hale's "weather" reports: "But not for long!"

:laugh:

I haven't seen it but have been told that the youngsters love it. I watched I, Clavdivs last year on dvd. I watched bits of it too back in the day but I was 14 then and didn't appreciate it to the same degree.

Sorry! Got my Elder/Younger Agrippinas mixed up. They were mother and daughter, I think?

I've always loved the Julio-Claudian emperors. Don't know if you've seen it, but I highly recommend the 1976(?) BBC series I, Claudius. 12 hours of absolute brilliance; the first time I watched it I pulled an all-nighter 'cause I couldn't stop! John Hurt's Caligula is phenomenal.

Back on topic, yeah the Masterchefs are awesome! Also a big fan of Bob Hale's "weather" reports: "But not for long!"

:laugh:

No I have never seen I, Claudius and I say that with a little shame..:sorry:. My love of that particular era in time was born through religious study, which of course subsequently lead me to read and study the works of Josephus (frankly I believe his LIFE would make a fascinating mini series), Tacitus, Seneca's (Y&E), Pliny - Y&E...etc.. So, if I have a spare 12 hrs.. I would LOVE to watch I, Claudius.:) It's a MUST now on my "bucket" viewing list.

Bob Hale's awesome too!

I also like the way HH in general corrects a lot of historical misconceptions; one example, Richard III, not being a baddie after all.:tongue:

I haven't seen it but have been told that the youngsters love it. I watched I, Clavdivs last year on dvd. I watched bits of it too back in the day but I was 14 then and didn't appreciate it to the same degree.

It's an awesome show Khun Khun! They make history fun. So you recommend I, Claudius too?

Stupid Skye stupid skye, not funny coz it's true

Stupid Skye stupid Skye, just hope she's dumber than you ...

(From "horrible housemates" on "abysmal bigbrother")

regarDS

No I have never seen I, Claudius and I say that with a little shame..:sorry:. My love of that particular era in time was born through religious study, which of course subsequently lead me to read and study the works of Josephus (frankly I believe his LIFE would make a fascinating mini series), Tacitus, Seneca's (Y&E), Pliny - Y&E...etc.. So, if I have a spare 12 hrs.. I would LOVE to watch I, Claudius.:) It's a MUST now on my "bucket" viewing list.

Bob Hale's awesome too!

I also like the way HH in general corrects a lot of historical misconceptions; one example, Richard III, not being a baddie after all.:tongue:

Wow, it's funny that you mention Richard III; I am a massive Shakespeare fan, but it's only through shows like HH and other research that I learnt just how much of an influence William's play had on the (distorted) public image of Richard.

History truly is written by the victors (Henry Tudor and his heirs), and it's so easy to believe unless you delve a little bit deeper.

That being said, I am quite a fan of Ben Willbond's padded Henry VIII in HH!

Not forgetting, of course: "Hi! I'm a shouty man!"

:)

Love this show! The kids loved it too but it grosses them out a lot.

I'm a history geek proven by the fact that Time Team is one of my all time favourite shows.

Wow, it's funny that you mention Richard III; I am a massive Shakespeare fan, but it's only through shows like HH and other research that I learnt just how much of an influence William's play had on the (distorted) public image of Richard.

History truly is written by the victors (Henry Tudor and his heirs), and it's so easy to believe unless you delve a little bit deeper.

That being said, I am quite a fan of Ben Willbond's padded Henry VIII in HH!

Not forgetting, of course: "Hi! I'm a shouty man!"

:)

Well, Shakespeare was "telling the truth" to the unwashed and ignorant masses after all who knew no better than the propaganda the hierarchy spouted. ( some things never change I suppose.. although these days there's more info available if one chooses to explore).

Have to hand it to Will's though as he's padded the English language as a primo word-smith!;)

Segue to padded Henry VIII.. lol Brilliant. I love the "This is your Life" sketch on him! lol

Back