Royalist or not?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
WA have it the last week of September (first Monday of June is WA Day), Queensland have it the first Monday of October because reasons
They should standardise Queen's Birthday and Labour Day holidays nationally IMO.

Actually they should introduce Australian Republic Day (national holiday) to replace Australia Day, and replace QB with an Indigenous People's Day holiday.

They should standardise Queen's Birthday and Labour Day holidays nationally IMO.

Actually they should introduce Australian Republic Day (national holiday) to replace Australia Day, and replace QB with an Indigenous People's Day holiday.
In Canada we have Truth and Reconciliation day which is September 30th. Also there’s been a move to not celebrate Canada day on July 1st. It’s still observed as a holiday but not made a big deal of like it has been in the past. I think rather than Indigenous Peoples day Australia should go the same route and make it about reconciliation. It feels less like tokenism and gets the the root of why the holiday is observed. It’s also less likely to become commercialized the way things like Pride Month are.

Last edited:
In Canada we have Truth and Reconciliation day which is September 30th. Also there’s been a move to not celebrate Canada day on July 1st. It’s still observed as a holiday but not made a big deal of like it has been in the past. I think rather than Indigenous Peoples day Australia should go the same route and make it about reconciliation. It feels less like tokenism and gets the the root of why the holiday is observed. It’s also less likely to become commercialized the way things like Pride Month are.
As you're probably aware a lot of people detest Australia Day as it marks the day the first fleet arrived in 1788, and is known as "invasion day", yet it is widely celebrated with patriotic hoopla by the idiot masses. So that's why I'd replace it with a republic day, hopefully on a date later in the year when there aren't so many holidays. But yeah, as for an indigenous people's day you're right it should be a reconciliation holiday. Hopefully with our shiny new government we will see some progress now. With the Liberals losing a bunch of seats to independents it's unlikely they're going to get them back in 2025, so Labor should have a reasonable run to get stuff done.

As you're probably aware a lot of people detest Australia Day as it marks the day the first fleet arrived in 1788, and is known as "invasion day", yet it is widely celebrated with patriotic hoopla by the idiot masses. So that's why I'd replace it with a republic day, hopefully on a date later in the year when there aren't so many holidays. But yeah, as for an indigenous people's day you're right it should be a reconciliation holiday. Hopefully with our shiny new government we will see some progress now. With the Liberals losing a bunch of seats to independents it's unlikely they're going to get them back in 2025, so Labor should have a reasonable run to get stuff done.
I don’t understand Republicanism. Since Canada and Australia have repatriated their constitutions we’re essentially free from British rule and the monarchy is nothing more than a rubber stamp.

Whether our heads of state are the monarch or some other person appointed to the role (because neither country would ever have an elected president the way the US does) it really makes no difference. We have the same ability to enact laws and change our constitutions as we would either way.

In terms of nationalism I think we need less rather than just a rebranded version of the same holiday. Republic or Constitutional Monarchy it’s the same shit being celebrated.

The only thing I’d like to see change in terms of Canada’s government is a mandated number of seats in parliament and our senate dedicated to indigenous people.

Last edited:
I don’t understand Republicanism. Since Canada and Australia have repatriated their constitutions we’re essentially free from British rule and the monarchy is nothing more than a rubber stamp.

Whether our heads of state are the monarch or some other person appointed to the role (because neither country would ever have an elected president the way the US does) it really makes no difference. We have the same ability to enact laws and change our constitutions as we would either way.

In terms of nationalism I think we need less rather than just a rebranded version of the same holiday. Republic or Constitutional Monarchy it’s the same shit being celebrated.
It's just the final step to being fully independent. It's crazy that our head of state was born into the role in a country on the other side of the world, and no Australian citizen can actually hold that position. Britain basically turned their back on the Commonwealth in the 1970s when they joined the then European Community (later EEC, then EU). All the dairy and other exports from AU/NZ got shut out because of that. NZ's highest court was the British Privy Council until 2004 when they finally created the NZ Supreme Court. The point is cutting those apron strings once and for all.

The way things are going, Scotland and Northern Ireland will bow out of the UK to join the EU, and I'd guess Wales could well follow. For NZ and Australia to still be clinging to the English royal family would be even weirder then.

If you don't like a national/republic day holiday, they could just dump it and have something else like one of Japan's holidays: Respect for the Elderly Day, Greenery Day, Children's Day or Culture Day.

It's just the final step to being fully independent. It's crazy that our head of state was born into the role in a country on the other side of the world, and no Australian citizen can actually hold that position.
Technically true but in reality the Governor General plays the role of head of state in the absence of the monarch. It’s been a while since someone who wasn’t a citizen of the country filled that role. Either way the role of head of state is going to be strictly a ceremonial role.

Also in terms of independence the last step in that process of becoming “fully independent” was the repatriation of our constitutions. The reason they were repatriated was to eliminate the need to seek approval of the British before either contsitution could be amended or changed.

Last edited:
I guess there really isn’t a Republican movement here in Canada. The closet we get to wanting “independence” is fringe separatist movements or alt-right/freeman/sovereign citizens that think our government is illegitimate. Even Quebec which historically has had the largest and most mainstream separatist movement seems to be quite fine with the status quo.

Last edited:
For me George W Bush showed that an elected Head of State wasn't necessarily a good thing. Trump absolutely confirmed it.

Anyhow, here is how the Jubilee Concert began.

Why skip over the guy in between who started more wars than the other two combined?

Ah yes, the media that pretends the US has good Presidents. They're all war crimminals.

Adam Lambert is INCREDIBLE! Not sure whether this is an acceptable opinion… but imo he’s better than Freddy 😶
I wouldn't go that far!

(Random Timmy story time) Years ago when Pink was at her peak popularity, I was a team leader at work, and made it a rule that we had to change the station every time one of her songs came on. Which was All. The. Time. Because she had songs across so many genres. Anyway... when Adam Lambert's Whataya Want From Me came out, I actually didn't mind this song. Kinda liked it actually. Then one day when I heard it, I made the connection. I was thinking "this sounds like something Pink would sing". And only after that did I find she'd bloody well written it. :oops: FFS. Ruined!

For me George W Bush showed that an elected Head of State wasn't necessarily a good thing. Trump absolutely confirmed it.

Anyhow, here is how the Jubilee Concert began.
Just a general note of thanks that youse guyse are participating in my little post. You really are the most interesting people. We're a bit on tenterhooks for the 2022 & of course 2024 Presidential elections. Enjoying the public hearings on the 6 January insurrection. Politics aside, it's great to meet this group of people who really can talk about anything!

Back