Royalist or not?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
I'm a bleeding heart liberal left coaster so Yankee is not an insult to me & a better fit than American (what about the South lol) but you're quite right, someone from southern states would not wish to be called a Yankee, we had a civil war to settle what still seems unsettled (pulling down statues & renaming places). I didn't realize that Australia is still holds the queen as your monarch, especially after William & Kate's less than successful tour of the Caribbean
American Geography Lesson:

Australia is NOT anywhere near the Carribean 🤣

I didn't realize that Australia is still holds the queen as your monarch, especially after William & Kate's less than successful tour of the Caribbean

Haha, noted I just meant that I thought the commonwealth was getting restless
Because I love to be pedantic.
  • The Commonwealth is an organisation of 54 independent countries all of which have some connection to the old British Empire mainly by being former colonies or next to them. The US could join if it wanted! It's mainly a talkfest, or to think of it another way, an alumni organisation whose main event is getting together between Olympics to have their own mini Olympics, called the Commonwealth Games, because sport is fun and medals are shiny.

• Of the 54 Commonwealth members; 20 are monarchies, 15 of which are known as the Realms who share Lizzy as their queen (she's get undiagnosed dissociative identity disorder and pretends to be 15 different queens but we all know it's the same gal). The other 5 have their own local kings/queens and the remaining 34 members are republics.

• Of the 15 Commonwealth Realms, Lizzy is only technically celebrating her 70th in four of them - the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The rest, mainly smaller Caribbean and Pacific countries, only became independent after she became queen.

• You can stop being a Commonwealth Realm and still remain a Commonwealth member. Most recently Barbados with other historic examples being India and South Africa to name but three.

• Debates over being coming a republic and ditching Liz pop up every now and again here in the realms. Last big push here in Australia was in 1999. Expect to see it happen again after Liz has shuffled off the palace in the sky.

• The only way they're skipping Charlie is if he dies before Liz. Which is only looking more and more unlikely.

Interesting @Consuela. I knew India and South Africa were part of the Commonwealth, but didn’t know they didn’t have Liz as their head of state. Thanks for sharing!

I think Australia will eventually move to become a republic, and I support that, but we should wait until the Queen goes. I know Labor said they’d hold a referendum on the issue in their first term in the lead up to the 2019 election, not sure if Albo has the same plans? He did appoint a minister for a Republic, so I’d say it’s on the radar.

Because I love to be pedantic.
  • The Commonwealth is an organisation of 54 independent countries all of which have some connection to the old British Empire mainly by being former colonies or next to them. The US could join if it wanted! It's mainly a talkfest, or to think of it another way, an alumni organisation whose main event is getting together between Olympics to have their own mini Olympics, called the Commonwealth Games, because sport is fun and medals are shiny.

• Of the 54 Commonwealth members; 20 are monarchies, 15 of which are known as the Realms who share Lizzy as their queen (she's get undiagnosed dissociative identity disorder and pretends to be 15 different queens but we all know it's the same gal). The other 5 have their own local kings/queens and the remaining 34 members are republics.

• Of the 15 Commonwealth Realms, Lizzy is only technically celebrating her 70th in four of them - the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The rest, mainly smaller Caribbean and Pacific countries, only became independent after she became queen.

• You can stop being a Commonwealth Realm and still remain a Commonwealth member. Most recently Barbados with other historic examples being India and South Africa to name but three.

• Debates over being coming a republic and ditching Liz pop up every now and again here in the realms. Last big push here in Australia was in 1999. Expect to see it happen again after Liz has shuffled off the palace in the sky.

• The only way they're skipping Charlie is if he dies before Liz. Which is only looking more and more unlikely.
Perfect! I love pedants lol Thanks

Bangs head grrrrr of course, I'm not doing this right please delete it & I'll go back to lurking lol Thanks & apologies for the bother grrrrrr
(Hope I'm doing this correctly)
Curious how youse guyse are observing England's celebrating 70 remarkable years of Elizabeth's reign. Personally, I think she is extraordinary. Additionally, I desperately hope that William is the next King, skipping Charles & that woman entirely. (I think it's why Harry left the UK since he was much closer to his mum).
Thanks for moving me to the Lounge (new space for me as well!)

Well imagine being in his position, first in line to be king, only for your mum to live to be 173.
Personally, I think it's a combination of how Elizabeth became queen (the abdication of her uncle, which makes her disinclined to abdicate) & the moral pickle that Charles chose when he married Diana but loved Camilla all his life. Her mother lived a long time, I'm not sure Charles is going to.

Personally, I think it's a combination of how Elizabeth became queen (the abdication of her uncle, which makes her disinclined to abdicate) & the moral pickle that Charles chose when he married Diana but loved Camilla all his life. Her mother lived a long time, I'm not sure Charles is going to.
Australia will see Charles as king, probably sooner rather than later, but we'll become a republic before William ever gets the job. We could have already become a republic if the referendum in 1999 had not been voted down. That happened because the public got wedged on whether a future president should be directly elected or decided by parliament. The proposal put to the people was "To alter the Constitution to establish the Commonwealth of Australia as a republic with the Queen and Governor-General being replaced by a President appointed by a two-thirds majority of the members of the Commonwealth Parliament."

Personally I have no problem with that because the role would still be largely ceremonial, but it put off enough people to result in it being voted down 55-45%. And the reason is that I don't care for any Donald Trumps or Ronald Reagans to get the job.

Australia will never support a republican model that doesn’t let the people choose its head of state.
We don't need a celebrity to fill that role. If 2/3 of parliament has to agree, it is a bipartisan decision. What's wrong with that? Much better than the current situation where the PM essentially appoints the GG, with the Queen then rubber stamping that choice. Put it to a public vote and Tom Gleeson will be our president. Actually I quite like this idea now.

We don't need a celebrity to fill that role. If 2/3 of parliament has to agree, it is a bipartisan decision. What's wrong with that? Much better than the current situation where the PM essentially appoints the GG, with the Queen then rubber stamping that choice. Put it to a public vote and Tom Gleeson will be our president. Actually I quite like this idea now.

I personally don’t care either way, especially when the role of the President won’t really matter too much. I just don’t see a majority of Australians accepting a President that they didn’t choose.

I think they’d have to do some sort of shortlist though, not sure if the parliament will play a part in that?

I personally don’t care either way, especially when the role of the President won’t really matter too much. I just don’t see a majority of Australians accepting a President that they didn’t choose.

I think they’d have to do some sort of shortlist though, not sure if the parliament will play a part in that?
Who knows. Still, way better than the stale old white military men the Coalition PMs have given us lately.

Australia will see Charles as king, probably sooner rather than later, but we'll become a republic before William ever gets the job. We could have already become a republic if the referendum in 1999 had not been voted down. That happened because the public got wedged on whether a future president should be directly elected or decided by parliament. The proposal put to the people was "To alter the Constitution to establish the Commonwealth of Australia as a republic with the Queen and Governor-General being replaced by a President appointed by a two-thirds majority of the members of the Commonwealth Parliament."

Personally I have no problem with that because the role would still be largely ceremonial, but it put off enough people to result in it being voted down 55-45%. And the reason is that I don't care for any Donald Trumps or Ronald Reagans to get the job.
I'm a life long bleeding heart liberal Democrat so I'm shook that Drumpf or Raygun got any job. Still, I admire the length of history a Platinum Jubilee shows. All the Presidents, Prime Ministers, even Popes & wars she has seen. All the changes in technology, she is amazing.

I think you would find that here in Australia we seem to have more live coverage of events like the election of the president of the United States which got blanket coverage on all tv networks here, but the Queen's Platinum Jubilee was like so is there any channels here in Australia that are actually going to show this thing live at all? Seriously...

I am not one that likes "change" all that much and I am one of those "if it ain't broke then don't fix" it attitudes. I am not a monarchist and I am also not one that wants us to quickly become a republic either.

I was also suprised to hear that our newly elected prime minister here "Anthony Albenese" has appointed a minister for becoming a republic? Anyway that must be a great job to have, you won't have to do much (nothing at all? lol) until the time shall arise we might one day become a republic? LOL!

Anyway we have some 50 cent coins here that are from 1977 which feature the Queen's "Silver" Jubilee from back then. Here is a picture of one below:

1654272855279.png

I can't believe there are people selling these old coins on ebay for around $5 each! Gees I must have quite a few of these coins that i've collected over the years and other classic aussie coins stashed away somewhere, maybe I could possibly sell off a few on ebay...lol.

I wonder if the Australian mint will now make a new "Platinum" Queen jubilee coin to celebrate this milestone again?

Cheers! :)

Back