Skip to main content

Forum Etiquette

Brent

So being the ripe old age of 20 I guess I can come under the Skye excuse of "he's 20 he's immature".

But seriously, the amount of people getting the knickers in a twist over trolls or forum members (including myself) having a go at each other is annoying.

Which leads me to my point of this thread - does everyone think there are specific standards of etiquette to abide by when being on the BBB forums? The obvious ones - no racism, no homophobia etc. but is there other ones that people feel need to be enforced?

I love forums, I think they're fantastic - people from all walks of life can come have a chat, have fun and mostly what I enjoy is the arguments that ensue. No argument has ever affected me online because A - I don't know any of these people in real life and B - It's easy to talk behind a computer screen.

The disagreements and different personalities are what makes forums FORUMS. If you don't want to read a particular thread? Don't read it. Don't like what people are saying to other forum members, get over it. Chances are they have done something in order for this person to be saying certain things to another forum member - unless the attack is completely unprovoked and unnecessary, personal trolling.

But somehow I (and others) are made out to be a scandalous villain when they disagree with someone or have a general disliking to a forum member. We aren't put on this forum to get along no matter how much you'd like your cliche little "Let's all talk about BB and have fun" yeah kumbaya and all that shit.

So being the ripe old age of 20 I guess I can come under the Skye excuse of "he's 20 he's immature".

But seriously, the amount of people getting the knickers in a twist over trolls or forum members (including myself) having a go at each other is annoying.

Which leads me to my point of this thread - does everyone think there are specific standards of etiquette to abide by when being on the BBB forums? The obvious ones - no racism, no homophobia etc. but is there other ones that people feel need to be enforced?

I love forums, I think they're fantastic - people from all walks of life can come have a chat, have fun and mostly what I enjoy is the arguments that ensue. No argument has ever affected me online because A - I don't know any of these people in real life and B - It's easy to talk behind a computer screen.

The disagreements and different personalities are what makes forums FORUMS. If you don't want to read a particular thread? Don't read it. Don't like what people are saying to other forum members, get over it. Chances are they have done something in order for this person to be saying certain things to another forum member - unless the attack is completely unprovoked and unnecessary, personal trolling.

But somehow I (and others) are made out to be a scandalous villain when they disagree with someone or have a general disliking to a forum member. We aren't put on this forum to get along no matter how much you'd like your cliche little "Let's all talk about BB and have fun" yeah kumbaya and all that shit.

Agreed[DOUBLEPOST=1416735942][/DOUBLEPOST]

PS

stfu

There's a difference between friendly banter and outright rudeness. If we can all just re-teach ourselves that, problem solved. :thumbsup:

why must all the banter be friendly? are we all under the false assumption that everyone gets along and can only disagree through terms of friendly banter like "oh you..."

My personal philosophy is:

- I say whatever I like about Housemates (within reason), but I try very hard not to make personal attacks against fellow forum members.

I enjoy reading fights, but I have no real desire to get involved in them.

Only problems are:

a) no philosophy is fool proof

b) it makes me sound like a sanctimonious wanker

why must all the banter be friendly? are we all under the false assumption that everyone gets along and can only disagree through terms of friendly banter like "oh you..."
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone was friendly and got along though? Or am I aiming too high...

My personal philosophy is:

- I say whatever I like about Housemates (within reason), but I try very hard not to make personal attacks against fellow forum members.

I enjoy reading fights, but I have no real desire to get involved in them.

Only problems are:

a) no philosophy is fool proof

b) it makes me sound like a sanctimonious wanker

no it doesn't make you sound like that - if that is your philosophy and you manage to stick to it then good for you![DOUBLEPOST=1416737462][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wouldn't it be nice if everyone was friendly and got along though? Or am I aiming too high...

It would be nice - but it would be dreadfully boring tbh.

*shudder*
cat-yawn-gif.gif

Because I know you love kitty gifs, Madge!! :kiss:

I'm definitely sick of the constant fighting around this place, by the way. Or at least, I'm sick of all threads ending up the same way. I think though that with only three days to go, this type of mess and lack of forum etiquette is to be somewhat expected. I just hope any hostility present now dissipates come off season. I would hate for different opinions on housemates to affect the community longterm.

Some people go way over the top and cross the line from friendly-dig to outright hostile.
And some people completely overreact to friendly digs and interpret it as hostility.
Some people post their opinions in the wrong place.
And some people think they have a right to tell others to get lost when they are actually in the exact right place.
Some people harrass others by following them everywhere they go.
And some people erroneously believe they are being harrassed when they are not.

And the lines between these things are not black and white. They are blurry. They often depend on a lot of factors, such as how long the two posters have known each other.

Rather than trying to establish air-tight rules, I think a better approach would be to gage people's intentions.
It is often clear when a poster intends light humor as opposed to a poster who intends to hurt another.
I say keep those who have good intentions (educate them if you have to) and eliminate those with bad intentions.
If it's unclear, give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry that all sounds vague. But there is no clear-cut way to do it.

Back