Skip to main content

Everything that is wrong with Big Brother on 7

Most definitely. BB5 and 6 have taken me over a month, which is probably quicker than an average person, but I am spending hours a day watching it. It would take the average viewers months to finish them. And to be honest a lot of people would just skip every other episode, especially the live shows.
U.S. or Australia?

I’ve made many attempts to binge old international series and I always fail at one point or another. Of course watching on a streaming service would be nice as it will bookmark your last episode but it would still be a chore to get through the bits in between major events. Watching live was the only way I found I was able to stick with a series beyond a sitting or two albeit the shorter the series the more likely I was to see the entire run.

U.S. or Australia?

I also think BBAU’s target audience might make it unappealing to American viewers. Even though BBUS does use funny costumes and over the top themes it doesn’t feel as watered down as it does in BBAU. I’m also not sure things like Uncut/AO would go over well and would likely be left out completely. In general unless sex plays in to the larger storyline production would have you believe that it never happens on the show.

Last edited:
I suspect that series length plays a big role in why they aren't available for streaming. 100+ episodes is a huge undertaking for a single series.

I think it really comes down to the fact that with episode in the hundreds per season uses up a ton of space on the platform and just isn’t appealing to casual fans.

The format itself I don’t think has a lot to do with it… Paramount+ does have BB1 and most fans are at least aware of the fact that BBUS follows it’s own format.

Paramount+ has Australian BB1? I tried to check but the search function on the garbage Aussie version does not work in Google Chrome.

100+ Episodes may not be that much of a barrier for people rewatching. One of the main issues people have with large libraries of streaming content is deciding what to watch. Apart from reliable entertainment, a big reason people like to endlessly rewatch shows like Friends and The Office is that it means the decision of what to watch is already made for them. They turn the TV on and instantly go straight to that show.

Shows like BB would be perfect for this habit.

I can't imagine the hard drive space at the data centres would be too much of an issue in this day and age.

Paramount+ has Australian BB1? I tried to check but the search function on the garbage Aussie version does not work in Google Chrome.
He is referring to season 1 of BBUS. The format was initially more akin to the original UK/AUS style before their format changed. Paramount+ in the US has all 23+ seasons of their Big Brother, which you won't find on our Australian version.

All the points discussed here about why the Ten/Nine seasons of Big Brother (or the UK seasons, for that matter) should or shouldn't be on a streaming service are all very valid, but another key factor that's been forgotten is just plain simply the legalities of doing so. BBAU/BBUK were produced differently. They were not as "self-contained" as BBUS.

Everything from the mention of sponsors, brand names, real people's names, the use of Housemates' likeness (and even all hosts, guests, family and friends) without prior agreement and in some cases a fee, discussions about their lives, the inclusion of all music - among many other things - these are all things that were fine at the time of a live broadcast, as was intended, but in no way would bypass the right to be streamed in today's world. There's not much more to it.

Last edited:
I’ve made many attempts to binge old international series and I always fail at one point or another. Of course watching on a streaming service would be nice as it will bookmark your last episode but it would still be a chore to get through the bits in between major events. Watching live was the only way I found I was able to stick with a series beyond a sitting or two albeit the shorter the series the more likely I was to see the entire run.
It took me 3 times to actually watch the whole of BBUK7 because it took up too much of my time. Over the last 10 or so years I have started and stopped rewatches of BBAU frequently but it was too much to watch with little time.

It took me 3 times to actually watch the whole of BBUK7 because it took up too much of my time. Over the last 10 or so years I have started and stopped rewatches of BBAU frequently but it was too much to watch with little time.
I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve started and stopped BBUK/AU series over the years. In fact I’ve probably read more about BB than I’ve actually watched it.

I’ve probably read more about BB than I’ve actually watched it.
I can relate to that. I've probably spent more time reading about BBUK than I would actually watching it. I have started and stopped numerous times but the idea of watching 90+ 45 minute episodes is so draining. But the fact is Big Brother is not a show that is supposed to be binged because the way to watch it is not just watching the episodes, the online engagement was a whole part of the show that you can't get on a binge.

It's like what you said in another thread about watching Big Brother as an "experience". Thats the issue with the CH7 version, it's no more of an experience than watching another reality TV show like Survivor, Masterchef or Biggest loser where it's on for 3 days and then off until Sunday week. The fun of Big Brother is watching the daily show as one part of the experience and then having the internet, social media and general conversation to continue the experience. Big Brother used to feel like an event with numerous ways for everyone to commentate and follow, this is the biggest thing missing from BBAU now.

Last edited:
I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve started and stopped BBUK/AU series over the years. In fact I’ve probably read more about BB than I’ve actually watched it.
That's why in the good old, generally pre-social media days, when channels gave shows their own extensive website with non-geo blocked clips, plus you had fansites like this one and others, it was pretty easy to follow Big Brother around the world. I used to keep a close eye on the French (Secret Story) and Germany versions for example - never watched an episode but a regular visit to their website and watching the clips was more than enough. I followed BBAU and BBUSA for years without watching an episode - it was easy enough to do so. And even with your own version if you did miss an episode or two a quick browse through the website would keep you up to date.

BB Canada is probably the only foreign version I've watched in full. With BBUSA I drop it more often than I follow it through to the end, and it was the same with BBAU too. Similarly rewatching BBUK although I've done the first three seasons in full generally speaking I prefer to find certain key episodes and enjoy them again rather than watch it all. Indeed that way even the poor seasons can deliver - there is usually at least one episode in a season worth watching again even if the entire thing was a dud.

I also think BBAU’s target audience might make it unappealing to American viewers. Even though BBUS does use funny costumes and over the top themes it doesn’t feel as watered down as it does in BBAU. I’m also not sure things like Uncut/AO would go over well and would likely be left out completely. In general unless sex plays in to the larger storyline production would have you believe that it never happens on the show.
I’m an American viewer! I preferred BB Australia 2013 because it was more fun than the US version. The housemates aren’t as mean to each other. Maybe it reflects that Australians aren’t as horrible on reality tv as Americans.

Not so sure on the feedback to the new version but from what I've seen online over the years I think many American fans who realised a BB world existed beyond CBS seemed to be quite fond of the original Aussie version - probably more so than BBUK.

I was disappointed not to hear the real BB Theme music. With the old BB HMs I thought they would use it :(

You know I had mentioned this in the channel 7 BB facebook page a few times over the last 6 months or so, I take it they don't really care or listen to anything from BB fans out there. I am also disappointed not to hear a single peep of a sound theme at all from what was supposedly meant to be a "back to the future" or a nostalgic series of BB.

I have actually sat down and watched the whole first 2 episodes of this season (something that I have never done with channel 7's last 2 seasons), and I must say this isn't the Big Brother I used to remember and know and love. Ok it's bad enough that's it's all pre-recorded to death on this network but what the hell is with the daily survivor style physical activities?

I have found myself sometime changing the channel over to Masterchef a few times during the night as I just get sick of the crap channel 7 has done to BB.

The words that were said from good old Reggie on tonight's show were the best thing i've heard so far from this new series of BB on channel 7.

While hanging up with straps on that stupid physical test Reggie said "Bring back the old Big Brother show". Good on you Reggie it's not only you that thinks that but many of the old school BB fans out there also!

Well seen as channel 7 doesn't want to listen to any advise or feedback from the fans it will learn the hard way when people just turn off in their droves, the only reason I even took the time to watch a full episode of this new series was because of some of the past housemates entering the house and for the nostalgic vibes we were receiving about this new series. It has failed terribly and I don't think I am going to put myself through any more watching full episodes of this annoying crap that channel 7 is trying to flog off as being Big Brother!

I think it's already clear this is somewhat backfiring on Seven in encouraging even more of their viewers to pine for the Big Brother of old rather than lap up the pre-recorded tightly produced content Seven serve up.

I think it's already clear this is somewhat backfiring on Seven in encouraging even more of their viewers to pine for the Big Brother of old rather than lap up the pre-recorded tightly produced content Seven serve up.
Even if that is the case I doubt Seven will do anything more than make small compromises and/or modifications to the format. They’re too far deep to admit they made a mistake in insisting on a pre-recorded series.

You know I had mentioned this in the channel 7 BB facebook page a few times over the last 6 months or so, I take it they don't really care or listen to anything from BB fans out there. I am also disappointed not to hear a single peep of a sound theme at all from what was supposedly meant to be a "back to the future" or a nostalgic series of BB.

I have actually sat down and watched the whole first 2 episodes of this season (something that I have never done with channel 7's last 2 seasons), and I must say this isn't the Big Brother I used to remember and know and love. Ok it's bad enough that's it's all pre-recorded to death on this network but what the hell is with the daily survivor style physical activities?

I have found myself sometime changing the channel over to Masterchef a few times during the night as I just get sick of the crap channel 7 has done to BB.

The words that were said from good old Reggie on tonight's show were the best thing i've heard so far from this new series of BB on channel 7.

While hanging up with straps on that stupid physical test Reggie said "Bring back the old Big Brother show". Good on you Reggie it's not only you that thinks that but many of the old school BB fans out there also!

Well seen as channel 7 doesn't want to listen to any advise or feedback from the fans it will learn the hard way when people just turn off in their droves, the only reason I even took the time to watch a full episode of this new series was because of some of the past housemates entering the house and for the nostalgic vibes we were receiving about this new series. It has failed terribly and I don't think I am going to put myself through any more watching full episodes of this annoying crap that channel 7 is trying to flog off as being Big Brother!
I agree with all what you said. I record BB so I can fast-forward the game and the repeat dialogues. There is no way I could just watch the show the way it is. The only reason I am back is because of the old HMs. I was not even a little exited when the announced BB this year, I truly don't care any more. Like you said what with the Survivor type of games? I don't ever want to watch any of it, I jump to the result every single time. The BB theme was important without it it felt ridiculous IMO. I was waiting to hear at least a little, but nothing.
I find myself searching for BB UK or BB French to come back because I do miss the real BB AU :(

i think you guys need to watch episode one again! they played parts of the OG theme a number of times. It was awesome and i actually jumped up and down in my seat when it played

IMO, the lone thing wrong with it is the pre-recording and they need to go all in with the US. If they just adopted the true US format, then it would be great. As an American viewer, I love this era of BB over the 9 version. The season with Layla was so boring. Oats a-la Layla was so corny. I know I'm in the minority but I love this BBUS- style format over the tired social experiment version.

i think you guys need to watch episode one again! they played parts of the OG theme a number of times. It was awesome and i actually jumped up and down in my seat when it played

Oh I missed the start of the first episode, they must have played it somewhere at the start of the first episode?

Oh well this will be the first and probably one and only time I will ever venture over to the channel 7 website to watch just the start of the first episode of BBAU2022 to see if I can hear some old BB themes somewhere...lol

Cheers!

Back