Skip to main content

Everything that is wrong with Big Brother on 7

Brekkie

Staff member
Big Blagger have done an article on everything that is wrong with Big Brother Australia in it's current guise. It's a long article.

Big Blagger have done an article on everything that is wrong with Big Brother Australia in it's current guise. It's a long article.

For those unfamiliar, the basic format of Survivor is that strangers are put together on an island and must compete in physical and mental challenges for rewards while voting each other out every single episode. A pre-recorded show with Australia ultimately voting for the winner at the end based on the strategic games of each player… starting to sound familiar?
Uh... what?

OK then, perhaps the Ten era (which should be on Paramount+ as Paramount owns Ten)?

They probably don't have the rights. I would assume it is all owned by Endemol Shine. When the show is on a particular network, they're just a distributor. Not an owner.

I would love to rewatch some old series, but the horrible quality of the rips on Youtube is annoying and unwatchable for me.

They probably don't have the rights. I would assume it is all owned by Endemol Shine. When the show is on a particular network, they're just a distributor. Not an owner.

I would love to rewatch some old series, but the horrible quality of the rips on Youtube is annoying and unwatchable for me.
I suspect that series length plays a big role in why they aren't available for streaming. 100+ episodes is a huge undertaking for a single series.

Last edited:
Plus it's an unfamilar format to US audiences.
I think it really comes down to the fact that with episode in the hundreds per season uses up a ton of space on the platform and just isn’t appealing to casual fans.

The format itself I don’t think has a lot to do with it… Paramount+ does have BB1 and most fans are at least aware of the fact that BBUS follows it’s own format.

I assume they're still on there - they added a few seasons of Survivor Australia and South Africa but then took them off three weeks later.

As for time consumption - yes, each cycle packaged into one episode works better for a streamer but as two episodes of the Seven version are probably as long as a week of the early Ten series the amount of hours isn't much different. What is different though is the Seven version is pretty much ready for re-broadcast, whilst the Ten version needs edits to remove references to voting numbers etc.

I believe BB1 kept that information in the episodes on Paramount+ but I could be wrong.

I can imagine that anyone who’s been interested in the older international format has already found methods of watching it without the need for a legal means. The sudden increase in BBAU’s popularity amongst American fans and the similarities in format does give them a worthwhile reason to want to monetize those views.

I assume they're still on there - they added a few seasons of Survivor Australia and South Africa but then took them off three weeks later.

As for time consumption - yes, each cycle packaged into one episode works better for a streamer but as two episodes of the Seven version are probably as long as a week of the early Ten series the amount of hours isn't much different. What is different though is the Seven version is pretty much ready for re-broadcast, whilst the Ten version needs edits to remove references to voting numbers etc.
I guess it would be the same for the Nine era. It'd be easy to do some massive edits, since every segment does seem to repeat phone numbers.

I suspect that series length plays a big role in why they aren't available for streaming. 100+ episodes is a huge undertaking for a single series.
Most definitely. BB5 and 6 have taken me over a month, which is probably quicker than an average person, but I am spending hours a day watching it. It would take the average viewers months to finish them. And to be honest a lot of people would just skip every other episode, especially the live shows.

It's why my rewatch of BBUK never got any further than BB3 when it was half hour daily episodes for 9 weeks. Then in the space of a couple of years it bloated to hour long episodes for 13 weeks, so basically tripling the series. BBUSA/Canada though being three hours a week (well, two hours once you've taken out the ads and recaps) makes it much more bingeable.

Back