Skip to main content

EUROVISION 2018 - JESS MAUBOY :)

I don't "love" the song but I love Jessica. I don't see how the performance could be described as terrible though. Not very showy for Eurovision maybe. And to describe her as looking as if she just escaped from Wentworth is just bitchy without being funny.

I don't "love" the song but I love Jessica. I don't see how the performance could be described as terrible though. Not very showy for Eurovision maybe. And to describe her as looking as if she just escaped from Wentworth is just bitchy without being funny.

I disagree with the terrible part. I found Isaiah terrible last year and Jessica set a whole new standard this year. A lot worse than last years performance.

As for the other part, it was bitchy without being funny. I agree with you there. Kind of disgusted people can't just criticise the songs.

I love Jess too, she is a really good performer and a trooper......and you hit the nail on the head @Meglos .........I hate every song we have sent.......but love all of our singers, we have not sent anyone awful, Isaiah was shit but only a baby, and Dami is DIVINE, Guy is good;

OUR SONGS SUCKED........can we please get some proper songwriters on the job, and stop hashing a bit of crap together in 2 days.

Get......current hot Aussie to compose.......SIA....and others making hits right NOW
And.....if that is too big an ask.....get Iva Davies from Icehouse, he is one of our most wonderful musicians, classically trained, plays every instrument.
What is Vanda doing? IE the other half of Vanda & Young.....Young unfortunately deceased, get another Young????

Or just have a song competition.....oooo great op for RTV, Dear SBS.....get your shit together before next year or we are doomed.....the novelty value is long gone

I love Jess too, she is a really good performer and a trooper......and you hit the nail on the head @Meglos .........I hate every song we have sent.......but love all of our singers, we have not sent anyone awful, Isaiah was shit but only a baby, and Dami is DIVINE, Guy is good;

OUR SONGS SUCKED........can we please get some proper songwriters on the job, and stop hashing a bit of crap together in 2 days.

Get......current hot Aussie to compose.......SIA....and others making hits right NOW
And.....if that is too big an ask.....get Iva Davies from Icehouse, he is one of our most wonderful musicians, classically trained, plays every instrument.
What is Vanda doing? IE the other half of Vanda & Young.....Young unfortunately deceased, get another Young????

Or just have a song competition.....oooo great op for RTV, Dear SBS.....get your shit together before next year or we are doomed.....the novelty value is long gone

Other countries choose their competitors via their own competitions, our entrant and song is chosen by Sony Australia.

Yeah I know
Guy, cobbled that together in 2 days; I think Jess did similar...............there currently is no respect for THE SONG, it is a SONG competition

Jess got presented with over 30 songs but rejected them all and decided to write her own alongside DNA. The reason all our song sound similar is because the last three have been written by DNA.

A new study shows that countries that compete in Eurovision are happier than those that don’t. Might the super-camp song contest be the perfect antidote to Trump-induced anxiety?

Attention America: it’s the grand final of the Eurovision song contest on Saturday. Shockingly, many Americans have no idea this momentous event is happening.

I am here to rectify this and make your world a little more sparkly by introducing you to what may well be the greatest show on earth.

Eurovision, which this year takes place in the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, is a song contest between European countries. However, it’s far more than that: it’s often known as the “Gay World Cup”. Or, to put it in more American terms, the Super Bowl of Camp. It’s flamboyant, kitsch, and filled with low-level political feuding. It’s like American Idol crossed with RuPaul’s Drag Race crossed with Survivor. Sprinkled with LSD.

Not only is Eurovision good fun to watch, it has also just been scientifically proven to be good for your health. Well, sort of. New research led by Filippos Filippidis, a lecturer in public health at Imperial College London, suggests that competing in the competition is associated with higher life satisfaction among the population of a country. Which is good news for the 26 European countries taking part on Saturday.

The study, published in BMC Public Health, was based on survey data on life satisfaction from 33 European countries, and the paper is peppered with lyrics from terrible Eurovision songs. It may well be the only scientific research study to include the line “I look over all the maps trying to escape ’cause I’m tired of your sweet cheesecake” (a lyric from Belarus’s 2014 entry).

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...18-us-why-america-should-join-study-happiness

watched the Jessica Mauboy and winning Israel version on youtube just now. The Israeli performance looked like it actually belonged on International television. Not only was the song pretty good, but the whole staging of the performance looked quite spectacular.

Jessica's performance looked and sounded like something out of a high school performance. the only part i liked was when she was singing in her lower register but that is only because i like when women singers sing that way. apart from that the lyrics were forgettable, she danced like she was Elaine from Seinfeld, and worst of all it was boring.

we should give other singers a go. and if we are going down the route of reality tv stars i have two suggestions: Damien Leith or Karise Eden.

but most importantly, if our country is going to be doing further Eurovisions we should give it the respect it deserves.

Eurovision has always been mediocre. That winner this year, from what I saw on the news, as there's no way I'd watch it, was awful!

watched the Jessica Mauboy and winning Israel version on youtube just now. The Israeli performance looked like it actually belonged on International television. Not only was the song pretty good, but the whole staging of the performance looked quite spectacular.

Jessica's performance looked and sounded like something out of a high school performance. the only part i liked was when she was singing in her lower register but that is only because i like when women singers sing that way. apart from that the lyrics were forgettable, she danced like she was Elaine from Seinfeld, and worst of all it was boring.

we should give other singers a go. and if we are going down the route of reality tv stars i have two suggestions: Damien Leith or Karise Eden.

but most importantly, if our country is going to be doing further Eurovisions we should give it the respect it deserves.
Yay for us contralto voices whose natural lower register is pretty damn good.

I thought the music in her song was absolutely fine and the vocal performance in the final was decent too, the staging and the lyrics were the only weaker things. The Israel effort was a novelty song so you can't really compare it, though I always thought the chorus was weak in that one as I didn't think it had a nice hook and was just annoying. The German and Austrian songs were more similar being standard love songs, but I don't remember anything great about the staging and they just sounded middle of the road to me. And the lyrics aren't that great either. People probably liked their dress sense more, and the dancing was probably more appreciated in the Cyprus song. So I think it's more peripheral aspects that mattered than the actual music.

It's best not to be too serious about placings anyway. Very average stuff can do well, and really good efforts don't even make the final sometimes.

I thought the music in her song was absolutely fine and the vocal performance in the final was decent too, the staging and the lyrics were the only weaker things. The Israel effort was a novelty song so you can't really compare it, though I always thought the chorus was weak in that one as I didn't think it had a nice hook and was just annoying. The German and Austrian songs were more similar being standard love songs, but I don't remember anything great about the staging and they just sounded middle of the road to me. And the lyrics aren't that great either. People probably liked their dress sense more, and the dancing was probably more appreciated in the Cyprus song. So I think it's more peripheral aspects that mattered than the actual music.

It's best not to be too serious about placings anyway. Very average stuff can do well, and really good efforts don't even make the final sometimes.

all the vocal performance did was show why she never won her season of australian idol. milquetoast at best.

For once we agree. Her performance was like amateur hour.

Back