Skip to main content

EUROVISION 2018 - JESS MAUBOY :)

Jessica Mauboy gets her shot to represent Australia at 2018 Eurovision Song Contest
AUSTRALIA’S entrant for the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest has been announced — but will the talented singer fare better than Guy Sebastian, Dami Im and Isaiah Firebrace?

JESSICA Mauboy is finally getting her shot to compete at the Eurovision Song Contest.

The Can I Get A Moment star will sing for Australia at the 2018 event in Portugal, four years after she won over bemused Europeans with her halftime performance of Sea Of Flags.

That performance sealed the deal for Australia to be invited into the competition as a wildcard entrant, with Dami Im getting close to winning it in 2016 and Guy Sebastian and Isaiah Firebrace finishing in the top 10.
Mauboy said she felt she had “unfinished business” at Eurovision and feared she had lost her chance to represent Australia with her special guest appearance in Copenhagen in 2014.

The much-loved singer had cheered on her good friends during their campaigns but the “deeply competitive” artist admitted she had suffered pangs of professional jealousy.

“Hell yeah, I was jealous,” she said, laughing.

“Of course I was rooting for them and they all did so great. But I wanted to be on that stage; I wondered if I could crash it.”
8a5e7e04033e7b0678b84a3ecd034d8a

SBS, who has broadcast the event for 33 years, has enjoyed significant ratings success since Australia has graced the Eurovision stage, with almost three million people watching the semi-finals and finals this year.

More than 541,000 people watched Firebrace contest the grand final at 5am and another 1.1 million viewing the delayed prime time broadcast.

Head of Delegation Paul Clarke admitted SBS had wanted to give Mauboy a shot at competing.

“Jessica Mauboy’s performance at ESC Copenhagen 2014 opened the door for Australia to compete at Eurovision — before the great moments of Guy, Dami and Isaiah there was Jess, who touched the hearts of the Eurovision directors and proved just how talented our vocalists are,” he said.

“Since then we have always wanted to give Jessica a shot at the competition, and this year the stars aligned.

“We can’t wait to develop a great song and stage production with Jessica and her team, and recreate her Eurovision-style as a galactic soul diva.”
Mauboy will be the second indigenous artist to compete for Australia.

“I think that is huge. All of the contestants have shown what Australia can offer as one of the most multicultural countries in the world,” she said.

“I think that’s why we have such a love and connection with Eurovision because we have people from almost all of the countries of the world here.”

Mauboy will co-write Australia’s entry song and while tempted to try to unlock the formula to Eurovision success by studying previous winners, wants to focus on telling “my own story from my heart.”

“Portugal is a country that has a rhythm; even when they speak, it sounds like they are singing,” she said.

“It is such an opportunity to put all of my heart into creating something that will rock the world.”
While there is little doubt Mauboy is much loved, as evidenced by the continuing success of her Secret Daughter soundtracks which have topped the charts and sold hundreds of thousands of copies, she is well aware the selection of the Australian contestant attracts plenty of polarising opinions.

“I know saying yes to this is going to start a lot of conversations whether I like it or not. I hope those conversations bring people together because that’s what Eurovision is all about,” she said.

She became emotional contemplating sharing the news with her family and has already started looking at flights to bring her Timorese father Ferdi and mother Therese, who is of the KuKu Yalanji tribe, to Lisbon with her.

“That would be full circle for me. It takes me back to the very, very beginning and the dream we have all shared, from them borrowing money to let me come from Darwin to the city to experience what music can do to your life and where it could lead,” she said.

Yeah... She won't win. There are still plenty of people out there who say "Australia is not part of Europe" and use that as justification for their voting in Eurovision.

Yeah... She won't win. There are still plenty of people out there who say "Australia is not part of Europe" and use that as justification for their voting in Eurovision.

AND..............so many of them hate each other that we are the fun choice:), we are the stuff you all you bastards rebel choice - all the politics we have no part in. And our large groups of different migrants have fond rellies over there.

Also, I find it highly amusing we have sent 2 asians and 2 indigenous contestants - as far removed from Eurotrash as you can get, pretty funny

AND..............so many of them hate each other that we are the fun choice:), we are the stuff you all you bastards rebel choice - all the politics we have no part in. And our large groups of different migrants have fond rellies over there.

Also, I find it highly amusing we have sent 2 asians and 2 indigenous contestants - as far removed from Eurotrash as you can get, pretty funny
I’m on board with Jess. Be nice if it is not a ballad!

Russia will hack its way to victory. But Jess should do well, better than Fiery McFireface.

Reactions: kxk
And here is the song, not bad at all, dance-ish, Jess sounds fab, and love the drumming near the end

Like this and Demi, and Jess's first appearance, this is a better song than most.

Looking at YouTube a lot of people so far are going for Israel, they definitely have the most views.

Looking at YouTube a lot of people so far are going for Israel, they definitely have the most views.

Since the song came out last week, Israel has become the huge favourite to win this year in the betting odds. Personally it's my favourite song this year and I think people will vote for it. But not sure that the juries will like it.

Do you like the chook chorus? I thought it sucked. The chorus is dire. Is she trans????

I don't mind the chorus. It's different and unique and fits perfectly with the theme of the song. IMO the chorus elevates this song. Anyway it's only about 30 seconds out of a 3 minute song. And no she is not trans.

Do you like the chook chorus? I thought it sucked. The chorus is dire. Is she trans????

The chorus is really annoying and without much of the novelty element anyway.

The SBS entry might be their best yet, if she gives a decent performance it could be up there.

Please, please stage this with drummers, 4 people allowed onstage isn't it? Do it with drama and drums.
Go Jess, i love her for her positive vibe, she has a joie de vivre and makes me happy:)

Please, please stage this with drummers, 4 people allowed onstage isn't it? Do it with drama and drums.
Go Jess, i love her for her positive vibe, she has a joie de vivre and makes me happy:)

There are 6 people allowed to be on stage.

@Mr Stickyfingers .....did you say you have never watched/enjoyed the fun experience of Eurovision???
Please give it a go, it is such fun, and a window into fascinating cultures, you get a great travelogue kind of thing about the host country, Portugal this year.
And it is not quite as loopy as it once was, eg when Russia last hosted they had a glass swimming pool on the ceiling with people swim dancing.
And the politics are awesome, Ukraine won the previous year when Russia invaded, sensational soulful song about a previous Russian invasion,good slap in the face.

There are a lot of funny moments, and a few really good songs, and it is just a HUGE SPECTACLE

See this history of Eurovision tonight, I guarantee you will be entertained

Eurovision Top 40 Songs

SBS, 7:30pm, Sat, 5 May 2018, 120 minutes

REPEAT

It's the world's ultimate, crazy song competition and Australia has been watching for over 30 years. There are so many highlights in the contest's history, now it's time to decide the top 40 favourite songs
. SBS Eurovision hosts Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey present the Top 40 songs from Eurovision's 60-year history with the countdown entirely voted by those who know best, Australia's Eurovision fans. A host of Australian musicians, comedians, celebrities and Eurovision fanatics discuss some of their hilarious insights about featured moments, including Richard Wilkins, Adam Liaw, Lucy Durack, Johnny Ruffo, Casey Bennetto, Michalas Banas, and featuring special instudio performances by Dami Im, Paul Capsis and Bjorn Again.

Australia, English, Entertainment, Arts & Culture, Music, Special

STARTS TONIGHT 7.30PM SEMI FINAL 1

I think Jess sings in the 2nd semi

TIMELINE SCHEDULE

2018 - Semi Final 1
150 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series, Repeat
(Portugal, English)

SBS continues their exclusive live coverage of the Eurovision Song Contest once again for 2018. Aussie songstress Jessica Mauboy will be representing Australia with her hit track 'We Got Love' at the international music showcase in Lisbon." data-html="true" data-title="Eurovision Song Contest" data-trigger="hover" style="box-sizing: border-box;">
7:30pm

Eurovision Song Contest ‘2018 - Semi Final 1’

SBS

2018 - Semi Final 1
(Portugal, English)

SBS continues their exclusive live coverage of the Eurovision Song Contest once again for 2018. Aussie songstress Jessica Mauboy will be representing Australia with her hit track 'We Got Love' at the international music showcase in Lisbon." data-html="true" data-title="Eurovision Song Contest" data-trigger="hover" style="box-sizing: border-box;">

SBS HD

THURSDAY, MAY 10
2018 - Semi Final 1
145 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series, Repeat
(Portugal, English)

9:05pm

SBS VICELAND

2018 - Semi Final 1
145 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series, Repeat
(Portugal, English)

SBS VICELAND HD

FRIDAY, MAY 11
2018 - Semi Final 2
120 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series
(Portugal, English)

5:00am

remote_new.png
Eurovision Song Contest ‘2018 - Semi Final 2’

SBS

2018 - Semi Final 2
120 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series
(Portugal, English)

remote_new.png

SBS HD

2018 - Semi Final 2
(Portugal, English)

7:30pm

SBS

2018 - Semi Final 2
(Portugal, English)

SBS HD

SATURDAY, MAY 12
2018 - Semi Final 2
(Portugal, English)

9:25pm

SBS VICELAND

2018 - Semi Final 2
(Portugal, English)

SBS VICELAND HD

SUNDAY, MAY 13
2018 - Final
220 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series
(Portugal, English)

5:00am

remote_new.png
Eurovision Song Contest ‘2018 - Final’

SBS

2018 - Final
220 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series
(Portugal, English)

remote_new.png

SBS HD

2018 - Semi Final 2
(Portugal, English)

5:00pm

NITV

2018 - Final
235 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series
(Portugal, English)

7:35pm

remote_new.png

SBS

2018 - Final
235 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series
(Portugal, English)

remote_new.png

SBS HD

MONDAY, MAY 14
2018 - Final
230 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series, Repeat
(Portugal, English)

8:35pm

SBS VICELAND

2018 - Final
230 minutes, PG, Entertainment, Music, WS, CC, Series, Repeat
(Portugal, English)

SBS VICELAND HD

@Mr Stickyfingers .....did you say you have never watched/enjoyed the fun experience of Eurovision???
Please give it a go, it is such fun, and a window into fascinating cultures, you get a great travelogue kind of thing about the host country, Portugal this year.
And it is not quite as loopy as it once was, eg when Russia last hosted they had a glass swimming pool on the ceiling with people swim dancing.
And the politics are awesome, Ukraine won the previous year when Russia invaded, sensational soulful song about a previous Russian invasion,good slap in the face.

There are a lot of funny moments, and a few really good songs, and it is just a HUGE SPECTACLE

See this history of Eurovision tonight, I guarantee you will be entertained

Eurovision Top 40 Songs

SBS, 7:30pm, Sat, 5 May 2018, 120 minutes

REPEAT

It's the world's ultimate, crazy song competition and Australia has been watching for over 30 years. There are so many highlights in the contest's history, now it's time to decide the top 40 favourite songs
. SBS Eurovision hosts Myf Warhurst and Joel Creasey present the Top 40 songs from Eurovision's 60-year history with the countdown entirely voted by those who know best, Australia's Eurovision fans. A host of Australian musicians, comedians, celebrities and Eurovision fanatics discuss some of their hilarious insights about featured moments, including Richard Wilkins, Adam Liaw, Lucy Durack, Johnny Ruffo, Casey Bennetto, Michalas Banas, and featuring special instudio performances by Dami Im, Paul Capsis and Bjorn Again.

Australia, English, Entertainment, Arts & Culture, Music, Special

...hi kxk... yes I did say that and said that I might watch it this year for the first yime but I'm going to tape it and watch it at a later stage because it clashes with MKR... so I will be commenting on it sweet lady but not 'Live'... sadly... Joel Creasey is on it so I will have to bite my tongue big time lol!... one good thing though... I love Myf Warhurst so it'll be the tonic that I need not to continually swear at creasey lol!... cheers.

Back