Skip to main content

Estelle the emo

Poxy

Earlier this year as part of a uni subject I did an assignment on youth subcultures. I focused on emos & Estelle has lots of characteristics.

- emos, as a group, just dont fit in with other parts of society. They are not jocks, goths, or part of the popular group at school. I think Estelle & her fans identify with this anti-culture, they see Estelle as being bullied & share the angst.
- thin waif-like appearance
- she's part of the emo skateboard culture http://www.skateboard.com.au/forum/profile.cfm?id=11472
- sterotypical crying and self-victimisation

For Emos in far more detail I suggest reading
http://digitalcommons.kennesaw.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1466&context=etd
"Emo kids—both males and females—are considered emotionally sensitive and
brooding, more so in particular than the average adolescent."

I always thought it was odd that Zoe claimed to be the Emo... Estelle totally is an emo... crying and whinging and being all "random" but planning every stage of it...

Q: How many emo kids does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None, they just sit there in the dark and cry.

But seriously Emo's should be buried up to their heads and run over with lawnmowers. Weakest excuse for a "click" ever. Can we move on from the Emo unpleasantness and try to forget they ever existed?

I wish my lawn was Emo and then it would cut itself.

Just because you did a uni assignment on it doesn't give you the knowledge and expertise to define an individual in a certain way. You're basically saying cause she shows a few characteristics - she's an emo, which is exactly like saying, oh i have a few symptoms of a brain tumor, i MUST have one.

Earlier this year as part of a uni subject I did an assignment on youth subcultures. I focused on emos & Estelle has lots of characteristics.

- emos, as a group, just dont fit in with other parts of society. They are not jocks, goths, or part of the popular group at school. I think Estelle & her fans identify with this anti-culture, they see Estelle as being bullied & share the angst.
- thin waif-like appearance
- she's part of the emo skateboard culture http://www.skateboard.com.au/forum/profile.cfm?id=11472
- sterotypical crying and self-victimisation

For Emos in far more detail I suggest reading
http://digitalcommons.kennesaw.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1466&context=etd
"Emo kids—both males and females—are considered emotionally sensitive and
brooding, more so in particular than the average adolescent."

You're in uni, you don't deserve to have an opinion.

Judging by the sheer number of votes Estelle is receiving there's hell of a lot of emos in society hiding successfully in the closet.

Idiot.

Estelle's 'popularity' has restored my faith in humanity somewhat. It's got nothing to do with identifying with her or any of that silly crap. People are just sickened by a bunch of vultures targeting a defenseless individual and have responded accordingly, nothing more nothing less.

If Estelle haters are unable to grasp that relatively simple concept than it says more about him/her than those that are voting to stick it up the scum who've cowardly used her as their whipping 'boy' in the house.

Judging by the sheer number of votes Estelle is receiving there's hell of a lot of emos in society hiding successfully in the closet.

Idiot.

Estelle's 'popularity' has restored my faith in humanity somewhat. It's got nothing to do with identifying with her or any of that silly crap. People are just sickened by a bunch of vultures targeting a defenseless individual and have responded accordingly, nothing more nothing less.

If Estelle haters are unable to grasp that relatively simple concept than it says more about him/her than those that are voting to stick it up the scum who've cowardly used her as their whipping 'boy' in the house.

How in hell is Estelle an Emo?

She is hardly waif like, she is normal size.

Since when has skateboarding been commonly connected to Emos?

Her crying is usually in response to a negative experience, it's not just random crying.

Not an Estelle fan but really this is utter nonsense.

How in hell is Estelle an Emo?

Apparently, some emos have never listened to emo music, worn emo clothes or even identified with the emo subculture in any way. You could be married to an emo and you wouldn't even know it. They might not even realise it themselves. You could even be one. It's just like the episode of South Park where the homeless people started owning homes and nobody could tell who was homeless and who wasn't. Spooky, ain't it?

Apparently, some emos have never listened to emo music, worn emo clothes or even identified with the emo subculture in any way. You could be married to an emo and you wouldn't even know it. They might not even realise it themselves. You could even be one. It's just like the episode of South Park where the homeless people started owning homes and nobody could tell who was homeless and who wasn't. Spooky, ain't it?

Damn! I hope I'm not secretly an Emo, I'd feel so betrayed by myself. Not to mention I'd have to run over my own head with a lawnmower (for the good of society).

LOL LOL LOL

Estelle most certainly isn't an emo, but her supporters could be.
Emos don't do sporty stuff like ride horses and skate
Emos don't dance around all cheery
Emos DO NOT DANCE to BEIBER
Emos don't think as highly of themselves as Estelle does - girl has a very healthy ego

Estelle is a survivor with survival instincts and probably a reasonably good and flexible gameplan; I think we would have had more fun is she got the boot early

Back