Skip to main content

Does BB still have place on Australian television?

andrew_08

So, friends.

It has been a good year since Channel 9 revived Big Brother in Australia. I'm curious to hear thoughts as to what everyone thinks in regard to if Big Brother still has a place on Australian television?

I have been a huge fan of the show since the very beginning. I think the concept needed a break after the 2008 series .... And I believe the break served the show well. But, are we happy with Channel 9's revival? Can Big Brother ever be as good as it once was back in the day?

As a loyal fan to the show, I'm finding that the revival has not done the show many favours. The concept is still tired!
And I'm finding the content we are shown to be extremely boring.
Executed better, I believe it could be fantastic.

I feel that the show these days is aimed far too much at children. E.g - Surly the fish & Saturday Showdown.
Big Brother really isn't a kids show in my opinion.

Thoughts?

I agree the concept needed a break and making the show family friendly has made the show Fake and lacking

The Revival was a huge fail and I think this year will be a bigger fail

Look back at the growth the original big brother achieved increasing sponsors every year I can recall the prizes evicted hm's got just kept getting better and better each year

This did fall away after the turkey slap incident which was a big mistake I think it was wrong for Big Brother not to step in and stop that before it went so far and they should have pulled the video feeds ,
The Show Became no PC real Fast and the sponsor distanced themselves real fast after that

The show needs all the Extra's, Live feeds, Uncut, Uplate, to truly succeed. On a show like this you can't go halfass'd and still expect the rating.

I like it.
I've been enjoying it far more than any other free to air show series on this year, that's for sure.

I agree with most of the previous comments - to get the audience (us) invested in the show it needs Up Late and/or a real live stream so we see whole conversations and make our own minds up about the housemates. It's how I got addicted during BB2006

the concept is still a good one - but the execution is the worst ever. it feels like a badly scripted, badly acted community theatre drama, coupled with all the repetition of tv reruns.

does it have a place? absolutely, but not like this.

Still a fan but the turkey slap did kill it as a program as it is now. My views on how it could work is mainly to take it off the commercial channels or bring back some late night adult stuff. I also agree with much of what others have said here.

Live feed could have been set up through a Foxtel channel. It would have been paid for as an extra channel making money, live feed 24/7 with cuts perhaps so you can watch the specials evictions etc on the free to air. With parental lock on Foxtel it would be up to adults to make sure kids couldn't watch it.
In the days of modern technology and access to pay tv it would have been a gold mine to the production team. Advertising could be limited and there is a precedence on this when rock band Reguriitator had a live channell beamed from the CBD of Melbourne when they recorded their album. So it isn't impossible to pull this off

Back