Skip to main content

Do you want a controversial season?

I think many personalities from the Married at First Sight cast were obnoxious and unlikeable, but I also believe those people contributed to a spectacle that was dramatic and addictive.

I think this approach is what Big Brother needs to succeed in 2020.

The drama should not come from just relationships.

I want there to be opinionated housemates who are political and socially confident enough to disagree with what might be popular with certain groups or the overall group.

I want debate and I want there to be tension between the housemates.

If there are eviction interviews I also want debate there and interesting questions that challenge housemates. The audience should be constantly intrigued with what is happening.

For the host, Peta Credlin is who I suggested on this forum and some people did not react positively but it seemed to create significant discussion and I think this is an indicator that Credlin might be the right person to bring edge to Big Brother and associated conversations like I think Gretel did.

This does not mean I like Credlin or agree with her. I think that being likeable is not what should be the priority. Drama should be.

My favourite Big Brother Australia season is 2004.

I think many personalities from the Married at First Sight cast were obnoxious and unlikeable, but I also believe those people contributed to a spectacle that was dramatic and addictive.

I want there to be opinionated housemates who are political and socially confident enough to disagree with what might be popular with certain groups or the overall group.

If there are eviction interviews I also want debate there and interesting questions that challenge housemates. The audience should be constantly intrigued with what is happening.

For the host, Peta Credlin is who I suggested on this forum and some people did not react positively but it seemed to create significant discussion and I think this is an indicator that Credlin might be the right person to bring edge to Big Brother and associated conversations like I think Gretel did.

This does not mean I like Credlin or agree with her. I think that being likeable is not what should be the priority. Drama should be.

Another post for reepbot to put an angry face on and passive aggressively reply to?

I guess not, but big brother isn't married at first sight.

The format is not relevant.

It is people and the connections, positive or bad, that they have with each other that should be the priority.

Are both MAFS and Big Brother not about people and their connections?

Do you not remember the people more than the format of previous Big Brother seasons?

The format is not relevant.

It is people and the connections, positive or bad, that they have with each other that should be the priority.

Are both MAFS and Big Brother not about people and their connections?

Do you not remember the people more than the format of previous Big Brother seasons?

but mafs is about finding love, big brother is about being the most popular. two totally different things.

but yes, i do remember the people more than the format.

but mafs is about finding love, big brother is about being the most popular. two totally different things.

but yes, i do remember the people more than the format.

Do you think being the most popular requires someone to be the most safe, neutral or inoffensive?

I like the idea of debates and discussions between housemates with differing opinions however I have also come to realise that my idea of discussion can be confrontational to a generation who have grown up with partication trophies. Sometimes people can get very huffy if you dare to just try to talk about a different opinion than thier own. So either that may happen with housemates or with the audience. Which is a shame because instead we end up with manufactured drama and production led inane singing tasks.

I totally agree, there needs to be housemates on the show which aren't afraid to voice there opinions and i want debates to be happening. I've always felt this is the area the show, particularly in australia, has wasted potential. To me big brother is the ultimate social experiment, where people from all walks of life representing all dynamics of the australian public enter a house, and we watch them interact. The show shouldn't have been about 'hot, sexy, singles' entering a house and watching them flirt with each other (2005-2007), nor people who are very similar to one another and a white washed cast in a house (2001-2004, 2012-2014). To me the best casting/season was 2008, this season was the true essence of the show, not one housemate was similar to one another, but i think by this point it was too late, audiences had moved on and the show became predictable. Big brother can actually be a rather educational show and this could've been the factor to seperate it from all other shows which could be described as 'trash tv'.

That being said i don't know if a controversial season is the completely right direction. If you look at Big brother uk, controversy (The Shipa Shetty and Jade Goody segment) and also australia (turkey slap incident) is what drove viewers away and ultimately led to the shows decay, i'd rather head in a direction of a show that raises talking points and isnt afraid to tackle harsh topics, but yet again doesn't cross too many lines cause then the show could be seen as confronting/overwhelming. In BB for some reason, controversy seems to be seen as fake and trashy. But drama in bb is key, cause it wouldn't be a social experiment without it. But there also needs to be heaps of light hearted and fun moments to have a good balance.

From the social experiment side I am genuinely interested on learning more about differing points of view in a hope of learning and challenging and growing my own thoughts and opinions. I would love to see some intense discussions on topics that people can get quite passionate about on bb for instance legalising all drugs, euthanasia, the rights of religious organisations etc. Content with depth and some natural controversy. And to see how those different opinions are resolved and dealt with in a confined area would be interesting too.

They will have no time for all that rubbish if the US version will be followed. 80%+ of the show will be based on strategy talk which I enjoy more.

Back