Skip to main content

Do you visit the official website?

How often do you visit the official website?

• Never

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • At least once a day

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • A few times a week

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Every couple of weeks

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • At launch but not since

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

Brekkie

Staff member
Just wondering whether anybody visits the official website anymore?

Big Brother websites used to be massive (for a period the BBUK website was the biggest entertainment site in the world) - and it wasn't just for the live feed. They had content - regularly updated news, pics and video plus plenty of supporting content too, including forums - and it was all mostly for free (with an additional premium service including the live feeds), and hence mainly supported by advertising.

I pretty much followed the first 3-4 series of Big Brother Australia by the website alone - and even without the live feed and without watching the episodes I didn't feel like I was missing anything at all. The info I needed was all there on the official site - and the website was in many ways independent of the TV show. They weren't afraid to report things in real time - none of this waiting for the TV show to be broadcast to reveal the actual details.

Yet nowadays the websites are just so insignificant. Even putting the live feed issue to one side they just don't offer any incentive to visit them - and most the time point you to Twitter or Facebook instead. I just don't understand why - surely they're much better off trying to get people to visit their own website where they can sell advertising and make some serious cash. Followers and Likes on Twitter and Facebook mean nothing if they can't convert that in to revenue.

It would be interesting to see what sort of hits the website gets nowadays compared to as recently as 2008.

Last edited:
I do visit the official website, but it is VERY rare. I find that the BBBA website and forums is more than enough for me. And, BBBA is not "edited" content, unlike the official website where content appears to be written by spin-doctors pushing the reader in their own certain direction in a similar way to how the daily show is edited to show viewers only what they want the viewers to see.

I only go to knock off images for the Photoshop thread. It is too polished and splattered with advertising. Nothing in the moment.Watching an ad before a clip really pisses me off and away too

During the first couple of days I went there several times a day to read their version of a love feed (hourly updates) - but then I realized that I was basically just watching the daily show a day early. It wasn't really giving me any extra insight, so I have since stopped visiting.

I only go to knock off images for the Photoshop thread. It is too polished and splattered with advertising. Nothing in the moment.Watching an ad before a clip really pisses me off and away too

You need chrome with Adblock :)

I've not been to the official website once this season. Last year I did for the live updates and followed closely on twitter but I've not been on twitter all season either this year. I do see posts on FB but don't really bother reading them just scroll on by. I'm not really reading much here either really. I'm happy to just sit down and watch the daily show and post in the evening thread here every night. What we see and read is manipulated anyway what's the point in seeking out more manipulation? There's never going to be anything online about stuff they don't want us to know

...this is the exact reason that I go to it for... just for some hi-definition photo of the housemates only... I very rarely use any of the short edited clips at all... I never bother to watch the full videos to capture screenshots for the Photoshop thread... I go to this website...

http://www.youtube.com/

...they are full episodes that are usually out within a few hours or the next day and have no commercials whatsoever and are high quality definition to take screenshots from... definitely the best option to suit me... cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between 04-06 I would have it set as my homepage (during seasons) and I was obsessively on there all the time. 07 I would go on here and there... and 08... well I went on during launch and sussed out the housemates and that's it.

Since moving to Channel 9 it has been similar, I check out the HMs and last year I would occasionally see what was happening, but this year... not at all!

Not when I can come here anyway, I think this is much more insightful.

I literally click on it at random maybe once a week. And I never go past the homepage. If I do, it's just to watch the odd video update here and there. But that's it.

I'm forced to drop by the "official" website now and then but only because of the piss-poor English / language / writing skills typically demonstrated by the current majority of BBB forum posters who seem unable to accurately convey or describe via words that which they presumably have seen with their own eyes.

I'd rather not have to do it but what other choice do I have while choosing to dwell in the company of virtual illiterates whose short little attention spans can't seem to manage much past 140 characters (including spaces) and who presumably associate the Big Word "library" with comic books or the (admittedly wonderful) works of Goscinny & Uderzo, or the opportunity to gaze blank-eyed at "See Spot Run" type picture books while wishing they had brought their crayons with them ?

In short (and in 140 characters), I visit the "official website" when it is too much work to decipher what happened by reading these forums.

regarDS

I'm forced to drop by the "official" website now and then but only because of the piss-poor English / language / writing skills typically demonstrated by the current majority of BBB forum posters who seem unable to accurately convey or describe via words that which they presumably have seen with their own eyes.

I'd rather not have to do it but what other choice do I have while choosing to dwell in the company of virtual illiterates whose short little attention spans can't seem to manage much past 140 characters (including spaces) and who presumably associate the Big Word "library" with comic books or the (admittedly wonderful) works of Goscinny & Uderzo, or the opportunity to gaze blank-eyed at "See Spot Run" type picture books while wishing they had brought their crayons with them ?

In short (and in 140 characters), I visit the "official website" when it is too much work to decipher what happened by reading these forums.

regarDS

Tell us how you really feel?

I only chek d offical websIt a few tImz a wk mainly 2 watch vids. hEr iz mo funz NEway + I don hav 2 uz my brain. #truth #BBBAU #w00t

Haven't missed an episode and all my Big Brother interactions are on Twitter. I've gone into it once or twice but basically to see if there was an Eviction poll like they always used to have.

I haven't gotten into it much yet. Last year I did eventually end up going through the videos and galleries, but I haven't connected with the show enough yet this year and I haven't gotten into the photoshopping yet.

I remember back when they were at the forefront of web interaction though. Back in series 5, my first one online, there was a constant turnover of threads on the forums, there was always new content to discuss from the livestream and video clips and a huge community to discuss it all with. Now though, with no livestream, little content and an over-reliance on Facebook...

I haven't been there this year - and I doubt that I will. The only thing that tempts me are the live feeds and I can get them here!

Back