Skip to main content

Diversity

kbomb247

Am I the only one who thinks that they actually came close to getting the cast right this year? Yeah it sucks that some of the housemates were only in there for a couple of days, and the edit of the show prevents us from getting to know the HM's to the same extent as previously, and yeah some of them are a bit boring and invisible, but...we got a good spread of ages (not just one token oldie in an otherwise-young house), normal people, fat people, ordinary-looking people, people of colour, short people, several parents etc as well as the usual 'types'. I'd go as far as saying this is the best overall 'mix' since the first 4 seasons.

i could be wrong, but i believe diversity is an old, old, wooden ship that was used during the civil war era

I think the casting is pretty good diversity wise - just seriously lacking personality wise.

I think the casting is pretty good diversity wise - just seriously lacking personality wise.
But what is "good" diversity? POC's- 5. White bland-8. Wackyness-4.
Personality is key. Its a kinda of lose/lose. Too much diversity could be labelled as tokenism. Less. Its racist .
Representative? Of what. There are so many minorities who deserve a go. But by maths, and proportion, how many apply?
Its a nightmare to cover all. I dont envy it. The casting choices are always on a hiding to nothing.

Cue @Tim in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Casting is different to who the housemates have chosen to evict.

Yeah definitely... it's like they only looked at paper credentials. Most of the housemates have just defaulted to acting like the same old sunbathing bores from previous seasons. Angela spilled that tea.

Also to be intersectional on the diversity thing, Soobong shouldn't have been evicted immediately but also he probably would have ended up a bit boring to watch later on.

I also think generally Big Brother is a marathon not a sprint, but we're being given a sprint edition and just seeing so little of the majority of the housemtates in orders to give airtime to two or three who producers have decided are the key characters. Usually a first evictee, and even an intruder, would have had airtime across two weeks of shows. This format has taken us 6 evictions to get to that point, and without the supporting extras around it such as live feed and additional clips.

I honestly don't think Australians want to watch forced diversity. In the old days of big brother there was white people, gay people, black people, Asian people and old people buy all of a sudden the history of big brother gets a bad wrap?! The old days when they had a diverse cast were great but if they have to force the diversity thing like they did on Amazing race Australia and make that really obvious then I think that just makes you feel awkward because of the forcfulnes and I would probably stop watching (like I did with amazing race)
People want to see people like them on TV, I am white and I don't ever remember seeing anyone that is like me or shares the same opinions as me in any way and I don't need to complain about it.

I honestly don't think Australians want to watch forced diversity. In the old days of big brother there was white people, gay people, black people, Asian people and old people buy all of a sudden the history of big brother gets a bad wrap?! The old days when they had a diverse cast were great but if they have to force the diversity thing like they did on Amazing race Australia and make that really obvious then I think that just makes you feel awkward because of the forcfulnes and I would probably stop watching (like I did with amazing race)
People want to see people like them on TV, I am white and I don't ever remember seeing anyone that is like me or shares the same opinions as me in any way and I don't need to complain about it.
It's fair to say that reality TV has done a much better job of casting diversly in Australia over the years than other sectors of the industry but if you've stopped watching shows because you feel that "diversity" is being "forced" upon you then I'm glad that people like yourself or share the same as opinions as yourself don't really appear on TV (although of course they absolutely do).

In my perfect cast the people are chosen based on who they are they and an interesting personality with interesting stories to tell rather than just being cast because they are part of a minority group. Don't just cast someone because they are black, pick them because they are interesting and have interesting stories to share. Don't choose someone just because they are gay, Muslim, old, young, tall, short what ever. Avoid tokenism and focus on casting the right type of people across all races, gender, age, sexual preference.

Back