Skip to main content

Episode Day 101 (6/11/13): Grand Final (155m) discussion

American politics is interesting. I have to tell you that aside from your gun laws (which are incomprehensible to most Australians) the fact that the US seems determined not to implement a health care program that does not rely on private health insurance is gobsmackingly short-sighted and lacking in compassion for those who most need assistance. My friends and I see Obamacare as watered down but at least a step in the right direction. American friends of mine (old Lefties like me) visited recently and the man was hospitalised with a back injury for five days. His bill, which now hangs on his wall in his home in Oregon was for $170.00...for everything. The reason that it cost anything at all was because he wasn't an Australian citizen. Sigh...I don't understand you 'muricans at all ;)

Exactly.

American politics is interesting. ...

We are very different in the u.s. in texas, where I live, people take a lot of pride in taking care of their needs. When I lived on the east and west coasts, I noticed that there were a lot of people that wanted the government to take care of them. I find that I live better year round by working hard for what I need/want. I was born in a shack in third world country conditions, my parents only had a couple of years of formal education between the two of them. The U.S. is a wonderful place. I am grateful to live in a country where hard work pays off. Sadly, this may not be the case in the future. Good night.

I've enjoyed reading your insights. :)

Last edited:
I did like Reggie but there were times when I wasn't sure she could really be that clueless and naive so I was never comfortable that we weren't seeing an act with her. I would have preferred Chrissie to win that year but I was ok about Reggie winning.

But the main word I'm focussed on is 'deserving'. Tim played the game openly, and he played to entertain as well. He earned the win and I can't think of any other winner that I could say that about.

That was the real Reg. I watched that year with her cousin.

American politics is interesting. I have to tell you that aside from your gun laws (which are incomprehensible to most Australians) the fact that the US seems determined not to implement a health care program that does not rely on private health insurance is gobsmackingly short-sighted and lacking in compassion for those who most need assistance. My friends and I see Obamacare as watered down but at least a step in the right direction. American friends of mine (old Lefties like me) visited recently and the man was hospitalised with a back injury for five days. His bill, which now hangs on his wall in his home in Oregon was for $170.00...for everything. The reason that it cost anything at all was because he wasn't an Australian citizen. Sigh...I don't understand you 'muricans at all ;)

As an American, I agree 100% with everything you said.

Most people who are against Obamacare don't have even the most basic understanding of what it is. You are exactly right that it is watered down, but it was the best we could get passed.

As an American, I agree 100% with everything you said.

Most people who are against Obamacare don't have even the most basic understanding of what it is. You are exactly right that it is watered down, but it was the best we could get passed.
That has been my impression too, but it didn't seem to be polite arguing with someone whose opinions were so diametrically opposed to mine in a BB thread. I did think of adjourning to the 'Things I Learned' thread, but I doubt that Deja, who was very patient with me would have been interested. (I was tempted to post that opening scene from Newsroom though ;))

6:30 here, I feel like turning the TV on in half an hour just to check. It feels a bit weird not being tied to 7pm.

6:30 here, I feel like turning the TV on in half an hour just to check. It feels a bit weird not being tied to 7pm.

um yeah.....dinner cooked, CHECK, kids quiet, CHECK, bourbon in hand, CHECK, turn on big brother, AHHHHH WTF MF's.....the only routine i've ever had is shot to pieces... 7pm will never be the same

..until my restaurant rules returns, but never the less, this sucks.

Sorry if anyone has already mentioned but the dresses Jade and Tahan wore for the final. Were they given to them by BB as both girls had been up for eviction several time before and I have never seen them wear these dresses before and they have worn previous eviction outfits multiple times. They were both gorgeous dresses by the way and looked amazing on them both.

So so happy that Tim won! It would have been a travesty if he didn't. Loved the end bit with Tim alone in the garden with Big Brother talking to him. Fantastic series, great winner from a strong last five finalists. Can BBUK borrow your production team to show them how it's done? Thanks Australia for a fabulous show. :D

So so happy that Tim won! It would have been a travesty if he didn't. Loved the end bit with Tim alone in the garden with Big Brother talking to him. Fantastic series, great winner from a strong last five finalists. Can BBUK borrow your production team to show them how it's done? Thanks Australia for a fabulous show. :D

Oh God yes... never were truer words spoken. In fact BBUK producers should be held at gunpoint in a locked room, forced to watch the entire BBAU series, takes notes, be given a written exam afterwards and only if they pass it, should be allowed near BBUK 2014 !!! Its in a different league !!!

Fabulous wasn't it Conchie? Maybe we can just kidnap their team and bring them to the UK! Most of the posters on Digital Spy share our view that Australia do it a million times better than we do. This was the best series I have ever seen. Oh, I miss you already BBAU - and especially Tim. :D

Sorry if anyone has already mentioned but the dresses Jade and Tahan wore for the final. Were they given to them by BB as both girls had been up for eviction several time before and I have never seen them wear these dresses before and they have worn previous eviction outfits multiple times. They were both gorgeous dresses by the way and looked amazing on them both.

Yes, the final 3 are usually given new clothes for the finale.

I thought the dresses were beautiful, but thought that the "fit" was a bit "off". I guess not everyone is given the wardrobe options that Ms. Sonia, as the host, rightfully receives.

As someone who lives in the U.S., is this really how you guys saw the shutdown? It really was not that big of a deal. All government workers wound up getting a paid stay at home vacation.

The coverage here of U.S. politics is naturally fairly simplistic, especially if you only derive your view from a commercial network like Channel 9, which basically confines itself to soft news these days.

I think Timmy would have been quite happy to stay in the BB house forever, bless him.

He is the eternal Peter Pan and he sees it as his Neverland, ( his safe and happy haven and his very own little kingdom).
Found it quite touching at the end when he was in that big old house all by himself, acting like a lost little boy, savouring his every last moment in there.
He really didn't want to leave at all.

So glad he won.

This......What do I do now? I miss Tim. I just keep watching the ending over and over and then his interviews. And I loved the pic Drew posted about 4 hrs ago of Tim finally getting some sleep in his skeleton onesie. They are sharing a hotel room.

Back