Skip to main content

Davina first choice to front revived Celeb BBUK in 2021

Brekkie

Staff member
Fingers crossed this is true (it is the Daily Star after all) but Celebrity Big Brother is set to return to C4 next year with Davina first choice to present it.

As much as I'd rather see the civilian version back I think that would pave the way, whether it's on C4 or E4.

Fingers crossed this is true (it is the Daily Star after all) but Celebrity Big Brother is set to return to C4 next year with Davina first choice to present it.

As much as I'd rather see the civilian version back I think that would pave the way, whether it's on C4 or E4.

When did the CBB revival become official? Also what chances are there this series will be pre-recorded?

I think that because The Daily Star have previously reported on a BB revival, they seem to be running with it as fact now, but it hasn’t been confirmed anywhere.

A revival wouldn’t surprise me given that in 2021, channels are going to be seriously limited on new content and, whilst a series of CBB isn’t necessarily a cheap/ easy solution, it would be a relatively quick one. Particularly a celebrity edition. There’s no need for auditions and a lot of people on the showbiz circuit will be looking for work/ money/ exposure after a quiet year.

‘Big Brother, and Big Mother, are Coming Home’ does have a nice ring to it, though.

OMG I hope this is true. Good thing with Davina is that she still feels young and vibrant where as Gretal feels abit washed out.

I think there is a chance it could be pre-recorded due to endemol looking to refresh the brand, but really hoping it's not true as a UK audience seems different to AUS and I really don't think it'd work there.

I think starting off with a Celebrity Big Brother reboot is the perfect way to start off a full revival They did this when it moved to Channel 5 anyway and it worked

Not the main course no and the main civilian series should always be the focus, but I view a revival beginning with Celeb BB as an appetizer rather than side salad - a chance to quickly wipe the memory of the damage C5 did to the show over a 3-4 week decent revival which gives them a more solid base to build a new era of civilian Big Brother on.

Not the main course no and the main civilian series should always be the focus, but I view a revival beginning with Celeb BB as an appetizer rather than side salad - a chance to quickly wipe the memory of the damage C5 did to the show over a 3-4 week decent revival which gives them a more solid base to build a new era of civilian Big Brother on.

I don’t disagree... The was trying to imply that following Channel 5’s lead was a smart move. Clearly putting too much of an emphasis on CBB cause the entire franchise to suffer.

OMG I hope this is true. Good thing with Davina is that she still feels young and vibrant where as Gretal feels abit washed out.

I think there is a chance it could be pre-recorded due to endemol looking to refresh the brand, but really hoping it's not true as a UK audience seems different to AUS and I really don't think it'd work there.

I don’t think Channel 4 are in a position to “refresh” the brand... Or at least not in the same way the Seven were with their revival.

If there’s one series that could benefit from pushing nostalgia this is it. There will be obviously refreshed elements but Channel 4 would be putting themselves at a disadvantage pushing things too far.

My comments about pre-recording had more to do with the pandemic than it being a part of a legitimate strategy for relaunch.

I agree - as much as I'd love to see BBUK go down the US/Canada format route (the less said about Sevens, the better!) it's just not right for the audience if the show is revived quickly. I hate the phrase "back to basics" but that is what the show needs and where launching with celeb could help - re-establish the simplicity of the original format, with clear rules and not overdoing the twists, at least twists connected to nominations, in it's first year or two back. Something like HoH in the way it's done in Brazil could then be worked back in naturally down the line as the show evolves again.

I don’t think Channel 4 are in a position to “refresh” the brand... Or at least not in the same way the Seven were with their revival.

If there’s one series that could benefit from pushing nostalgia this is it. There will be obviously refreshed elements but Channel 4 would be putting themselves at a disadvantage pushing things too far.

My comments about pre-recording had more to do with the pandemic than it being a part of a legitimate strategy for relaunch.
But I think it’s more to do with what Endemol want. Australia acted as an experiment with this new format. So I wouldn’t be suprised if they at least pitched it in the UK.

And also if Endemol was willing to ignore the whole of Australia regarding the format. There’s a possibility it could also happen in the UK.

Endemol's ownership is quite complicated - Endemol Shine Australia are virtually a completely different entity to Initial, who I think own the UK rights.

They are very different markets and Endemol are experienced enough to know Big Brother plays differently around the world. In Australia they were pitching for something to play out in a 7.30pm slot three or four nights a week which is dominated by pre-recorded reality. In the UK they'll be looking at a 9pm or 10pm slot airing possibly 7 nights a week and against generally drama and factual programming and having to stand aside, but not against, the likes of Love Island and I'm a Celebrity.

Also don't believe that Endemol Shine went straight to Seven with the format we're seeing - they'll have gone with numerous ideas for how to revive it, including I suspect a fully live one in the original format and the US/Canadian format, also probably live. They'll have been talks about budget etc. and ultimately what we're seeing will have come out of discussions of what Seven were willing to buy. Yes, they'll be budget issues with C4 too, especially now, but hopefully any compromise may come up with a different solution.

Last edited:
Celebrity big brother was always more entertaining than civilian big brother, normal people are boring. I don’t want to hear about shit lives while I’m watching tv to escape mine!

Celebrity big brother was always more entertaining than civilian big brother, normal people are boring. I don’t want to hear about shit lives while I’m watching tv to escape mine!

Ratings wise CBB was always on par (if not slightly lower) with the civilian version in the Channel 4 era...

CBB3 definitely rated lower than BB5, but CBB4 rated better than BB6. CBB5 started off pretty poorly ratings wise (it opened to the largest CBB launch figures ever, but went downhill pretty fast) It was the race-row, which played its part in the demise of the show, which boosted its viewing figures but it still didn’t average higher than BB7.

I think if the show is coming back, it would inevitably be with a celebrity series first. The press would be more interested with rumours of who is going in and it would naturally get more publicity.

I could even see them splitting the show between E4 and C4. Live shows on C4 and highlights/ a spin-off on E4, with Live Streaming online in the same way it was for the final series in 2010. The UK hasn’t had a live stream for 10 years, and the validity of it can be argued until the cows come home, but it’s return would definitely be a USP for the show and a way of telling people that the show is back home. All of the above would be pretty expensive when you factor in the Celebrity appearance fees - I’m not sure if it would be profitable to run a 24hr live feed for a show that would be airing on a channel like E4 most nights.

CBB3 definitely rated lower than BB5, but CBB4 rated better than BB6. CBB5 started off pretty poorly ratings wise (it opened to the largest CBB launch figures ever, but went downhill pretty fast) It was the race-row, which played its part in the demise of the show, which boosted its viewing figures but it still didn’t average higher than BB7.

Overall series averages differed by a mere few points either way... Never anything like they were on C5 where there was an obvious trend favouring one series.

IMO this had more to do with where Channel 5’s focus was... They clearly favoured the Celebrity series over the civilian. Channel 4’s approach was always to favour the summer series as the main event and CBB fell in line with that. I see no reason a similar approach to a revival wouldn’t produce a similar result.

I suspect the only reason CBB is favoured this time around has to do with ease of putting a series together and a shorter upfront commitment. No doubt a civilian series would follow on the back of strong CBB ratings.

I would much prefer for C4/ in the general future should any broadcaster pick it up, that the summer edition was the main even with a mini Celebrity series in January.

Big Brother was basically picked up by C5 by Richard Desmond who owned the Daily Star and the show served him nicely with housemates/ visitors like Pamela Anderson, Amy Childs, the Playboy twins, Lacey Banghard etc. Hopefully the show’s future will focus on what the show was originally all about - the general public.

I would much prefer for C4/ in the general future should any broadcaster pick it up, that the summer edition was the main even with a mini Celebrity series in January.

Big Brother was basically picked up by C5 by Richard Desmond who owned the Daily Star and the show served him nicely with housemates/ visitors like Pamela Anderson, Amy Childs, the Playboy twins, Lacey Banghard etc. Hopefully the show’s future will focus on what the show was originally all about - the general public.

My theory is that Channel 5’s intention was always to continue with just CBB but Endemol refused without an additional commitment to the civilian series.

It explains why the civilian lagged behind and the many attempts to revive the series by adding in z-listers and tabloid fodder. After trying to run the civilian series in to the ground Endemol Shine reused to negotiate for just the Celebrity series which lead to the final cancellation.

My guess is that Endemol are willing to give Channel 4 a break based on a commitment to grow the series if CBB meets expectations.

Last edited:
Back