Skip to main content

...bit part players that steal the scene/movie/TV show...

Mr Stickyfingers

an old fart that rants at times...
Awesome site donor
...I imagine that a lot of people have their favourite movies/TV Shows with favourite scenes or episodes whereby a bit part player or a guest on the show steals the scene with their unique performance... I just thought that it might be a fun idea to dedicate a thread just for them so that we can all see what got you loving these remarkable unsung scene-stealing heroes...

...I have 3 to start this thread off with that really make my day when I watch them... the first one is from the TV show 'Red Dwarf' episode called 'Back to Reality' where they are awoken from a so-called reality game of the same name and Timothy Spall guest stars as a maintenance worker waking them up... I love his performance in it.. here it is...

...the next one is from the movie 'Rat Race' with 'David Powledge' playing a rather crooked car mechanic trying to screw money out of people that are in a predicament... he is a riot on how he gets his 'come-uppance'...

...and my final one is from 'The Flight of the Navigator' with 'Rusty Pouch' (apparently his real name) playing 'Big Al' the gas station attendant... he says basically nothing except for a few famous words at the end of it but it is so brilliant for me for some unexplainable reason lol!... here he is...

...anyhow... they are three that I came up with to start this thread off but I'm sure that I'll post up more as they come to me... so do any of you have your favourite bit part players in movies or TV shows?... I'd like to see them... cheers.

...hmmm... looks like this thread will die a quick death... oh well... not to worry... moving on... here is a great character that makes my day when I watch 'The Fifth Element' with Bruce Willis... (one of my favourite movies)...

...this guy (Mathieu Kassovitz) cracks me up with this cameo appearance... he plays his '15 minutes of fame' with great enthusiasm lol!...

2015-08-17_14-36-52.jpg
...his part starts at the 23:42 mark... his part is brief but memorable... cheers.

What immediately comes to mind for me is that sitcom, Wil & Grace, the leads were boring as batshit.
The supports stole the entire show - Sean Hayes, and Megan Mulsomething, I loved those 2.

And I kept watching Revenge just for the character Nolan, ie Gabriel Mann
IMG_2189.jpg

And on the same theme = Steve Buscemi steals everything he appears in, no matter what his role is.
Same with Maggie Smith, and Bill Nighy.

@Mr Stickyfingers here is a scene stealer for you....so much so

c02bd612873de37427e0443b18fff23b.jpg

they had to give him a few of his own shows, not just Torchwood you know

...Oh my God!... I would NEVER had picked that was John Barrowman lol!... (in a very deep voice and reasserting my manliness so that my darling wife doesn't think I've turned)... WOW!... he looks gorgeous!!!!... cheers.

What immediately comes to mind for me is that sitcom, Wil & Grace, the leads were boring as batshit.
The supports stole the entire show - Sean Hayes, and Megan Mulsomething, I loved those 2.

And I kept watching Revenge just for the character Nolan, ie Gabriel Mann
IMG_2189.jpg

And on the same theme = Steve Buscemi steals everything he appears in, no matter what his role is.
Same with Maggie Smith, and Bill Nighy.

...Bill Nighy is one of my favourite character actors... he is so good in all what he does... cheers.

Lord Flashheart.

...hahaha!... brilliant!... absolutely brilliant!.... Rowan Atkinson knew what he was doing when he put him in that role didn't he?... what gusto!... they always had great guest stars in in the BlackAdder series didn't they?... cheers.

I love coming across bits of trivia about these ‘scene stealers’, especially in cases where their roles were extended on a TV show just for that reason. One that comes to mind is Anya (Emma Caulfield) on Buffy the Vampire Slayer – her role was apparently meant to be only a few episodes, but she ended up a regular cast member (and one of my favourites). I’m not sure if Woody Harrelson was meant to be in Cheers for as long as he was, but his character definitely stole the show for me (so naive and lovable).

Probably the most memorable though was Robin Williams as Mork on Happy Days. He went from bit part, to more episodes, to having his own show. Now that’s a (well deserved) scene stealer!

KIK – I so agree about Will & Grace. That came to mind for me as well. Karen and Jack were the main reason I continued to tune in. :)

I love coming across bits of trivia about these ‘scene stealers’, especially in cases where their roles were extended on a TV show just for that reason. One that comes to mind is Anya (Emma Caulfield) on Buffy the Vampire Slayer – her role was apparently meant to be only a few episodes, but she ended up a regular cast member (and one of my favourites). I’m not sure if Woody Harrelson was meant to be in Cheers for as long as he was, but his character definitely stole the show for me (so naive and lovable).

Probably the most memorable though was Robin Williams as Mork on Happy Days. He went from bit part, to more episodes, to having his own show. Now that’s a (well deserved) scene stealer!

KIK – I so agree about Will & Grace. That came to mind for me as well. Karen and Jack were the main reason I continued to tune in. :)

...I think that the Happy Days ratings were beginning to dwindle so they introduced Mork into the show to boost the ratings back up from memory which in turn saved that show and then catapulted Robin into instant stardom and onto his own show and the rest is history...
when 'Coach' died in real life they substituted Woody for him as the 'not so intelligent' aspect into the show while they sorted out which direction they were going to send the show... after all they would've had quite a few scripts already written up for the Coach character so it would've been easier for them to slide in a temporary replacement character than rewrite so many scripts I guess...

...I think that you are right... I don't think that he was meant to be a permanent character to start with because I vaguely remember watching an anniversary Youtube clip with them interviewing the cast members and I'm sure that's what they said from memory...

...I totally agree with KIK and yourself about Karen and Jack... they did make that show...cheers.

...does anyone remember the soup Nazi on Seinfeld?... he well and truly nailed it with that episode lol!... his name was Larry Thomas... he's been in lots of other shows but that will probably be his most memorable show for sure... cheers.

...Oh my God!... I would NEVER had picked that was John Barrowman lol!... (in a very deep voice and reasserting my manliness so that my darling wife doesn't think I've turned)... WOW!... he looks gorgeous!!!!... cheers.

He DOES scrub up well doesn't he?
But.. it's JOHN BARROWMAN!
So let's go scrub our eyes out with soap and forget it ever happened huh?

...who can ever forget the scene where Macaulay Culkin grilled John Candy in 'Uncle Buck' in the 'what's your record for consecutive questions asked?' scene...it shot him to stardom... the kid did so well...

....and this little girl (Mya Stark) was amazing in this scene from 'The Man with two Brains' (with Steve Martin) and stole it for sure... how she managed all those line still amazes me to this day... cheers.

This lady......
American-Reunion-Stiflers-mom.gif

JENNIFER-COOLIDGE-AUSTRALIA-2011.jpg

She absolutely wipes the screen of mere mortals.

I have never seen American Pie, and cannot tolerate that awful 2 Broke Girls - unless, I'm surfing by and see HER.

She is amazing, think she was also in Legally Blonde, and Best in Show, she is hilarious.

...haha!... yes I remember her... (let's face it who could forget her?)... she sure was memorable all right lol!... cheers.

This lady......
American-Reunion-Stiflers-mom.gif

JENNIFER-COOLIDGE-AUSTRALIA-2011.jpg

She absolutely wipes the screen of mere mortals.

I have never seen American Pie, and cannot tolerate that awful 2 Broke Girls - unless, I'm surfing by and see HER.

She is amazing, think she was also in Legally Blonde, and Best in Show, she is hilarious.
Stifler's Mom! Bend and snap! Love Jennifer Coolidge.

...a classic one-liner was done by a brilliant cameo appearance by Estelle Reiner as the older woman customer that utters that famous line... "I'll have what she's having"... line at the end of Meg Ryan's fake orgasm scene in 'Harry met Sally'... so funny for me... cheers.

They do bring in scene stealers if a show is struggling - those scene stealers in general steal the entire series

Here are 2, and they also prove it isn't about good acting:)

DYNASTY - DIVA JOAN COLLINS

alexis.png

SO BAD SHE WAS GOOD:)
Dynasty.jpg

And I just had a lightbulb moment - those creepy Kardashians are dynasty, Joan is Mrs Jenner bitch from hell, Crystal is Bruce/Cait, and Kanye is the only dude so by default, with the 3 older bitches in back!
I think for sure they steal from old soaps.

Anyway, then old Aaron took Heather as his good luck bitch charm, and she rescued and stole Melrose Place.

Back