Skip to main content

Big Brother winner Reggie Bird reveals heartbreaking health diagnosis

Kaz

Awesome site donor
Two-time Big Brother winner Reggie Bird has taken to social media with a heartbreaking health update.
The 48-year-old Gold Coast-based TV personality, who won the reality series in 2003 and again this year, told her 45,000 followers she had recently been diagnosed with Usher syndrome, a disease which impacts both hearing and vision.

Bird, who was first declared legally blind in 2008 after being diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa, shared the heartbreaking health update on Thursday.

“It’s not what I wanted to hear,” Bird said in a video as she broke down in tears. “It’s the worst thing that you could have. I’m going to be deaf-blind.”

This is terrible.

Although on a positive note the impression I get from the Usher syndrome wiki page is that there are many ways the syndrome manifests.

It’s not as if all people with Ushers syndrome are completely blind and/or completely deaf.

At 48 her hearing seems to be quite good so it very possible she may only experience some hearing loss.

That said it’s still terrible and just another thing added to her plate 😢

This is terrible.

Although on a positive note the impression I get from the Usher syndrome wiki page is that there are many ways the syndrome manifests.

It’s not as if all people with Ushers syndrome are completely blind and/or completely deaf.

At 48 her hearing seems to be quite good so it very possible she may only experience some hearing loss.

That said it’s still terrible and just another thing added to her plate 😢
One can only hope that winning for the second time & making such a positive impact on her fans can help her in this newly devastating news.
As contrast, here is a Canadian couple filling their children's memories w/sights before RP takes it away from them
Hope & attitude can make all the difference

Although on a positive note the impression I get from the Usher syndrome wiki page is that there are many ways the syndrome manifests. It’s not as if all people with Ushers syndrome are completely blind and/or completely deaf. At 48 her hearing seems to be quite good so it very possible she may only experience some hearing loss.

Oh dear. That is indeed terrible news for Reggie. I hope it pans out as Kingston has described.

Back