Skip to main content

BIG BROTHER IS BACK ON 10 IN 2019!!! [April Fools]

Seems in the end there was some truth in this but ultimately Ten ruled it out due to the costs.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2018/07/ten-rumoured-for-entertainment-assault.html (see the comments from David Knox)

Interesting... That said shows like Survivor and IACGMOOH I imagine would share similar costs if not slightly more than BB... Both shows are shot overseas and that can’t be cheap...

I mean this doesn’t sound like it’s that BB is too expensive for them it’s likely just money being spread over several shows instead of putting all thier hopes in to one basket...

I would've though it was cheaper to do BB too.

BB cost 30 million when it was on Ten not sure about Nine's version. In comparison, Love Island which was just on 9GO and is a similar show to BB cost 10 million to make.

I would've though it was cheaper to do BB too.
BB - especially with its 24 hour live stream required crew/editors/producers around the clock monitoring the feed and switching cameras as required (although Nine appeared to just turn off the cameras at night and go home). Also the live eviction shows would have cost a bit to put on I would have thought.

Kinda surprised that TEN couldn't make the financials work - given that there was always comments (during both eras) about how cheap it was when you looked at it from the angle of cost spread of the number of hours of on-air content it provides.

BB - especially with its 24 hour live stream required crew/editors/producers around the clock monitoring the feed and switching cameras as required (although Nine appeared to just turn off the cameras at night and go home). Also the live eviction shows would have cost a bit to put on I would have thought.

I’d prefer just a regular studio audience for evictions anyway.

Interesting... That said shows like Survivor and IACGMOOH I imagine would share similar costs if not slightly more than BB... Both shows are shot overseas and that can’t be cheap...
Although certainly in the case of I'm a Celeb and possibly with Survivor too they can film at bases other countries also use, so reducing the location costs significantly.

David's comment refers to it being too expensive to run in the summer, so perhaps it still has a chance during the ratings season of being viable. Also with them almost certainly needing to a new house it can also just be a factor of timing in the right studio space becoming available at the right time for the right price.

Although certainly in the case of I'm a Celeb and possibly with Survivor too they can film at bases other countries also use, so reducing the location costs significantly.

David's comment refers to it being too expensive to run in the summer, so perhaps it still has a chance during the ratings season of being viable. Also with them almost certainly needing to a new house it can also just be a factor of timing in the right studio space becoming available at the right time for the right price.

Good point... I didn't take in to account that summer was when they had looked at the format... I think if Ten are looking at reducing costs for BB that they should look at a joint production with a network in NZ...

Good point... I didn't take in to account that summer was when they had looked at the format... I think if Ten are looking at reducing costs for BB that they should look at a joint production with a network in NZ...
They should do a two-house version a la BBAU3 and bring them together. Aussie House and Kiwi house. That would be quite funny.

edit: If they did the Aussie House too obvious they would probably guess what was going on, and the Kiwis ofc would know all along. I still like the idea though.

the Kiwis ofc would know all along
Not necessarily. Years ago, maybe 2002, there were some serious plans to produce a NZ Big Brother - only it was going to be completely produced using the Australian house/facilities during the off-season of BBAU - I remember hearing rumours they were going to try sign Gretel to host as well. So if they were to do that they could just use that line again.

And tbh, Ten probably looked at doing something with a NZ network as that's what they did originally in 2001. The first four years NZ was also voting to evict (and Ten were getting a shit ton of money from that) and they were getting a lot of money from simply selling the show to the NZ network. Though the deal turned sour after 2003 - TVNZ didn't want the show anymore (mainly for scheduling reasons), even though they had signed a five year deal to ensure it aired in New Zealand, so they then sub-licensed 2004 to Prime (which at the time, ironically, was owned by Nine from Australia). Then in 2005, Prime didn't want to take the show again so TVNZ dumped it airing at 11am during the week on a three week delay - screwing over Ten by preventing any form of NZ voting.

Not necessarily. Years ago, maybe 2002, there were some serious plans to produce a NZ Big Brother - only it was going to be completely produced using the Australian house/facilities during the off-season of BBAU - I remember hearing rumours they were going to try sign Gretel to host as well. So if they were to do that they could just use that line again.
I think word would get out if AU and NZ both had casting calls at the same time, not to mention you get n the (small) house and there are only 10 housemates... they would immediately catch on that there was another house. And if the houses have kiwi and Aussie themed decor (as they would) I know I would think "I bet there's an Aussie house over there".

You're right though, TVNZ treated BBAU very shabbily. Fans over there must have been very pissed off with their treatment/scheduling of it. Was lucky that someone provided a live stream of it from AU, for those in the know ;)

I think word would get out if AU and NZ both had casting calls at the same time, not to mention you get n the (small) house and there are only 10 housemates... they would immediately catch on that there was another house. And if the houses have kiwi and Aussie themed decor (as they would) I know I would think "I bet there's an Aussie house over there".

You're right though, TVNZ treated BBAU very shabbily. Fans over there must have been very pissed off with their treatment/scheduling of it. Was lucky that someone provided a live stream of it from AU, for those in the know ;)

When I made my post originally I was going to include something about the partnership being a great way to revise the format...

I don't necessarily think the two house concept needs to be kept a secret... In fact I don't even know if two houses are necessary... BBUK's year of the woman worked very well with everyone sharing the same house...

When I made my post originally I was going to include something about the partnership being a great way to revise the format...

I don't necessarily think the two house concept needs to be kept a secret... In fact I don't even know if two houses are necessary... BBUK's year of the woman worked very well with everyone sharing the same house...
It would be a good way to separate the camps in the initial stage of the game, so viewers get to know the two 'sides', and pretty funny to see the Aussies confronted by a bunch of kiwis when they merge the houses. And whether that creates an us-and-them situation - which would be the producers' intention - well, it would probably fizzle like most BB twists but you never know. Maybe they could keep up the Aussie Vs Kiwi thing for a couple of weeks post merge. All hypothetical ofc. I can't see Ten picking it up again but I would watch this if they did it.

You're right though, TVNZ treated BBAU very shabbily
TVNZ were quite decent with it during 2001-2003 (even opting to air some of the live shows simulcast with the Australian airing when things were extended and didn't fit in with the normal schedule - usually the double evictions and the 2002/2003 finales).

MediaWorks who owns TV3 really shafted it when it came to airing the Nine-era though.

It would be a good way to separate the camps in the initial stage of the game, so viewers get to know the two 'sides', and pretty funny to see the Aussies confronted by a bunch of kiwis when they merge the houses. And whether that creates an us-and-them situation - which would be the producers' intention - well, it would probably fizzle like most BB twists but you never know. Maybe they could keep up the Aussie Vs Kiwi thing for a couple of weeks post merge. All hypothetical ofc. I can't see Ten picking it up again but I would watch this if they did it.

Not saying I'm not sold on the idea... Personally I like it and I totally understand the dynamic it can create... I'm just presenting a different view... Going back to my Year of the Woman example the idea of conflict and confrontation could just as easily be established by having one group enter a few days ahead of the other... As was mentioned it's not as if a Kiwi/Aussie battle would be easy to keep secret...

Something else to consider is that if money is an issue and production need to start from scratch in terms of building a new house space may be an issue... So having enough space to build two houses that will merge in to one may be a luxury they can't afford...

TVNZ were quite decent with it during 2001-2003 (even opting to air some of the live shows simulcast with the Australian airing when things were extended and didn't fit in with the normal schedule - usually the double evictions and the 2002/2003 finales).

MediaWorks who owns TV3 really shafted it when it came to airing the Nine-era though.

TEN was owned by Canadian media company Canwest until 2009 who also had assets (TV3/MediaWorks) in NZ... It's kind of weird to hear that there was so much shuffling and a lack of cooperation in terms of airing BBAU...

TEN was owned by Canadian media company Canwest until 2009 who also had assets (TV3/MediaWorks) in NZ... It's kind of weird to hear that there was so much shuffling and a lack of cooperation in terms of airing BBAU...
TVNZ wanted to dump it was becoming impossible for them to confine the show to the 6PM-7PM timeslot they wanted for the show with all the companion shows and specials Ten were doing later in the run. Monday and Tuesdays either would have the daily show that aired the night prior in Australia completely skipped, or we would get a ten minute edit followed by the recording of the live show that was edited to have ten minutes removed. They also never aired Uplate.

Ironically, Nine (as the NZ channel Prime) treated the show the best as they basically mirrored the Ten schedule just on a one day delay in primetime. For the first time we got the full Daily Show before the live shows, we got Uplate, one-off specials weren't left unaired... It was a good time. Shame it didn't last. :(

TVNZ wanted to dump it was becoming impossible for them to confine the show to the 6PM-7PM timeslot they wanted for the show with all the companion shows and specials Ten were doing later in the run. Monday and Tuesdays either would have the daily show that aired the night prior in Australia completely skipped, or we would get a ten minute edit followed by the recording of the live show that was edited to have ten minutes removed. They also never aired Uplate.

Ironically, Nine (as the NZ channel Prime) treated the show the best as they basically mirrored the Ten schedule just on a one day delay in primetime. For the first time we got the full Daily Show before the live shows, we got Uplate, one-off specials weren't left unaired... It was a good time. Shame it didn't last. :(

I got what you were saying the first time but thanks for the additional information... That said I think you missed the point I was trying to make... TEN was owned by Canwest until 2009... They also owned 70% of New Zealand's TV3 at the time BB was in it's prime... I find it strange that there wasn't an attempt at airing BB in New Zealand on another Canwest network...

Back