Skip to main content

Big Brother House Left To Rot

Good thing at least one of us did, then 😂

Huh, TIL. Just did a quick google and all I could come up with is the balance of "common humanity". Like if someone scales a fence and injures themselves, courts may say there is no duty of care. Interesting that they could still be pinged though. And yeah, you're right. We can probably say goodbye to the Dreamworld Compound after these latest developments. Really disappointed I only got to vicariously tour the BB houses.

Right now I think they are riding a slippery slope... While they do have fencing in place to discourage people from entering the property it’s clear given the shear number of people entering the property without permission that it’s not working.

Also given the state of the property there’s a lot of potential for injury. Like I said I’m not legal expert but I think it would be pretty difficult for the property owner to argue they are currently fulfilling their duty of care. There doesn’t seem to have been any attempts at clearing up broken glass or attempts to ramp up security despite knowledge that trespassing is becoming a fairly frequent occurrence.

Hopefully the recent fire is a much needed wake up call... At very least a few cameras, an alarm, and motion detectors in place could do a lot in terms of improving security and discouraging things from escalating...

While they do have fencing in place to discourage people from entering the property it’s clear given the shear number of people entering the property without permission that it’s not working.
In both videos the gates have been wide open so it's clear nobody is making any effort at all.

In both videos the gates have been wide open so it's clear nobody is making any effort at all.

My point exactly... The property owner is clearly delusional. Unless there's something we're missing here. Though I have serious doubts based on the videos we've seen...

With the clearing of many of the trees between Foxwell Road and the BB compound, it is now possible to see the top of the house without even setting foot onto the ex-Dreamworld land. All from a previously rural-feeling location that nowadays is at the boundary of a Westfield shopping centre. With the compound not nearly as secluded as it used to be, I suspect this is one of the factors behind the initial attraction from the people making the videos. Abandoned and visible from public land.

bbau9-house-from-foxwell-road-2017-streetview.jpg

With the clearing of many of the trees between Foxwell Road and the BB compound, it is now possible to see the top of the house without even setting foot onto the ex-Dreamworld land. All from a previously rural-feeling location that nowadays is at the boundary of a Westfield shopping centre. With the compound not nearly as secluded as it used to be, I suspect this is one of the factors behind the initial attraction from the people making the videos. Abandoned and visible from public land.

View attachment 54676

The attraction is that it’s been abandoned for years and has very little security in place... I think we’d see the same level of interest regardless of whether it’s visible from the road or not...

Kind of an overstatement:

That’s probably still the case given the manpower and tech required to run the show.

Considering manned cameras are pretty much a thing of the past and tech automation greatly simplifying the production, storytelling, and editing processes, Channel 10 can run BB for a fraction of what they did in 2008... Manpower being one of the highest costs of production the savings in implementing technology would be fairly significant...

Endemol Shine Group automates its TV production of Big Brother with machine learning solution

Endemol Shine Group, creators of Big Brother, wanted to refresh the TV show’s brand and streamline its production. The company implemented a cloud-based serverless workflow solution powered by Microsoft Azure Media Analytics. It is built on the Azure Media Services platform and applies machine learning in order to index video files by using speech-to-text, face recognition, and related technology. This avoids a tedious manual review of hours of raw footage, speeds the production process, and frees up time for more creative development.

"In seconds, we’re able to locate video captured at, say, 1:10 AM that reflects exactly what we want to show on the program, even if no one was watching at the time. That’s a big savings on resources."
- Lisa Perrin: Chief Executive Officer of Creative Networks Endemol Shine Group
Eight hundred productions in 78 territories, airing on more than 275 channels around the world—that is the reach of global production powerhouse Endemol Shine Group (ESG). From Big Brother and MasterChef to Fear Factor and The Biggest Loser, the company’s wildly popular programs entertain more than 250 million viewers and generate 2 billion views a month online.

Keeping the media property’s brand fresh

ESG devotes a lot of time, effort, and, increasingly, technology to keep its programming fresh, relevant, and a hot topic of the viewing public’s conversation. For example, Big Brother follows a group of strangers brought together in one house outfitted with dozens of cameras and microphones that record every move 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Lisa Perrin, Chief Executive Officer of Creative Networks at Endemol Shine Group, says, “After 18 years, it was time to refresh the Big Brother brand, make it look better, and keep it thriving across the world.”

Embracing innovative production ideas

As part of the creative refresh, ESG came up with sweeping ideas to improve production of the Spain edition of Big Brother, which would serve as a model for other editions. First, the company sought to implement a cloud-based production workflow system. “By using cloud computing, we can shoot in Madrid, for instance, and edit in London or LA—wherever we want to be based,” says Perrin. The cloud is also ideal for Internet of Things (IoT) data collection—in this case, data from wearable sensors. “We could track people’s heart rates to hypothesize that there might be a love interest in the room,” she adds. “That’s an example of a real change-up to offer more-exciting content to our broadcasters.” Additionally, ESG wanted to automate much of the selection of scenes, from hours of multicamera footage, to use in the published program.

Deploying the right technology

To make innovations like these possible, ESG joined forces with Microsoft in April 2017 to develop a production workflow solution powered by Microsoft Azure Media Analytics—a collection of speech and vision components that analyze video files to provide actionable information through machine learning. Azure Media Analytics is hosted on the Azure Media Services platform, which includes technology to encode, encrypt, and stream audio and video at scale, live or on demand.
The ESG and Microsoft teams developed the back-end system that processes the live streams. It takes advantage of live channels (content pipelines that work with signal encoders for different distribution methods) and subclipping (a feature for dividing long footage into smaller, more manageable segments). Subclips are generated with Azure Media Encoder (Standard and Premium versions) using multiple formats for both the internet and broadcast video editing systems. And it delivers metadata (derived from speech-to-text, face detection, and motion detection) to Azure Cosmos DB, the globally distributed multimodel database service. All these components are orchestrated by Azure Logic Apps and Azure Functions. These serverless workflows run 24/7 and can be easily monitored and modified from the Azure portal.
Based on the solution’s success so far, ESG plans to deploy it on a wider scale. Perrin says, “By the end of 2018, we hope to have it rolled out in many of our Big Brother territories.”

Automating scene selection

The new solution replaces an entirely manual selection process in which production assistants identify the most important scenes to use in a Big Brother episode. Through machine learning, the system recognizes patterns of language, keywords, and emotional reactions. It tracks, monitors, and indexes the activities of a house’s residents and infers what relationships they have. “When you’re filming around the clock, there can be hours of nothing happening. Watching screens for so many feeds and arduously logging moments is very tedious,” says Perrin. “Now, with Azure Media Analytics, we zero in on the most interesting actions rather than wading through hours of footage.” Specifically, the software indexes probable actions of interest. When humans search for various types of events that might be valuable to the show’s storyline, such as a fight between two characters, the software returns time stamps that correspond to events that match the search criteria. “In seconds, we’re able to locate video captured at, say, 1:10 AM that reflects exactly what we want to show on the program, even if no one was watching at the time. That’s a big savings on resources.”
Perrin concludes, “Adopting this ground-breaking technology will completely revolutionize the way we produce our global formats and opens up an unprecedented level of creative freedom. In terms of time and efficiency, we’ve really upped our game with Azure Media Analytics.”
Find out more about Endemol Shine Group on Twitter and LinkedIn.

"By using cloud computing, we can shoot in Madrid, for instance, and edit in London or LA—wherever we want to be based."
- Lisa Perrin: Chief Executive Officer of Creative Networks Endemol Shine Group

https://customers.microsoft.com/en-us/story/esg-media-telecommunications-azure

^^ I can't decide whether this would produce a better or worse result than Nine's Big Brother.

Wow, what the heck happened to the Big Brother House? I saw a "trending" video pop-up on YouTube the other day (the MiuTube one above), and it makes me so sad to see that people had trashed the 'House!

I spent nearly ten years in the military and when I got out back in 2017 (disappointingly, I was forced out, due to an injury), literally one of the first things I did when I got back to the Gold Coast was pay a visit to the Big Brother House (I even bought a bajillion Dollar camera with my pay-out from the Army specifically to film with):

The 'House was still in pretty good condition back then, but I had to "hide" my video soon after uploading it because Dreamworld Security was not too impressed, especially since I had not swiped my Annual Pass that particular day (they made a point of telling me this)... The guy was a bit of d*#k, but he was just doing his job and I was still seeking post-military employment (something that is surprisingly difficult to do!), so I didn't want to push my luck too much.

Apparently though, every idiot in town has since visited the 'House, and some of them have totally trashed the 'House... Not impressed.

I never understand why people feel the need to do stuff like this...

Apparently Dreamworld sold off the property/land not long after 2014, sold it to West Farmers I believe. It's a shame really, I think this will destroy all remaining hope of a revival of the series.

This is incorrect - Ardent Leisure still owned the property at the time of my video (July 31st, 2017)...

I already knew this... Prior to the 2012 BB revival it was announced that Dreamworld had intended on selling off their excess property for use in the Town Centre project... When the actual transaction took place I have no clue...

Sometime after July 31st, 2017...

*Cough cough* They may not have been open like that when I paid a visit... *Cough cough*

But there were also signs dotted around the surrounding compound (outside the Big Brother House, where you now see the open gates) that stated the tigers were walked there every morning 0815-0900, so that's probably a key part of the reason why.

Also, Dreamworld Staff were using those gates quite regularly on the times I visited (I spent a lot of time there, over a week or so)... They weren't even paying any attention to the Big Brother House, just driving past it into the paddock/open area (near the road) and then back to Dreamworld (there's an access road nearby that takes you to various sections of Dreamworld) - but they locked the gates every time.

The attraction is that it’s been abandoned for years and has very little security in place... I think we’d see the same level of interest regardless of whether it’s visible from the road or not...

Well I found the Big Brother House on Google Maps, before I even got back to the 'Coast... So the fact that it could not be seen from the road was irrelevant.

And even when I did my reconnaissance over a couple of days, the fact that it could not be seen from the road was a huge advantage (privacy)... Only had to watch out for Dreamworld Staff until I was in the 'House (see above).

https://celebrity.nine.com.au/tv/fo...ed-house/f67f9aac-eecc-4a28-8048-b54ba8d815cc

Former Big Brother narrator Mike Goldman addresses rumours he was 'squatting' in abandoned house

Not sure why their tweet says July 2009... Dreamworld Staff were using that land all the time when I was there (there was even a building immediately next to the Big Brother House they were using for storage), and this was confirmed when Dreamworld Security called me shortly after I published my video.

I mean, it's pretty irrelevant now... But there's definately some conflicting information there.

Not sure why their tweet says July 2009... Dreamworld Staff were using that land all the time when I was there (there was even a building immediately next to the Big Brother House they were using for storage), and this was confirmed when Dreamworld Security called me shortly after I published my video.

I mean, it's pretty irrelevant now... But there's definitely some conflicting information there.

Actually now that I think about it, Dreamworld's PR person definitely has their wires crossed - Dreamworld were hurting financially around the time I posted my video, so not only were all the news outlets reporting that Ardent Leisure might sell their excess land, but Ardent Leisure themselves were saying that it was something they were considering... I know this because I explored most of the land around the Big Brother House, and recall saying to my wife that it was disappointing Dreamworld never made use of all that land (there's a lot more of it than you think), due to the obvious potential.

Well I found the Big Brother House on Google Maps, before I even got back to the 'Coast... So the fact that it could not be seen from the road was irrelevant.

And even when I did my reconnaissance over a couple of days, the fact that it could not be seen from the road was a huge advantage (privacy)... Only had to watch out for Dreamworld Staff until I was in the 'House (see above).

Ya so like I said @marquisite comments were irrelevant...

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/...-to-raise-awareness-for-homelessness-c-140816

Goldman says he's planning on livestreaming himself sleeping at the abandoned house to raise awareness.
New owners
The only snag, he says, is he can't get in contact with who owns the lot.
After the show was axed, the Big Brother house was sold by Dreamworld to a private developer, who isn't returning Goldman's calls.
Against his better judgement, he says, he might just camp out and hope for the best.
"I'm thinking I might just go and sleep there tonight or tomorrow night," he said.
"It's still got the bones and the structure, there's no reason you couldn't do it.
"After all, it's Queensland's Graceland."

Will he do it? Probably not.

Graffiti? Mindless vandalism? Shows that died a natural death?

She's just trying to remain relevant in hopes that the attention keeps her close to landing a job on any potential revival... In other words bringing awareness to the fact that BB is a cash cow and she's desperate for work...

An update from 2 days ago,, since gaining notoriety of being abandoned

Today

Gosh, it's in a much worse condition :(
More panels smashed up. Even the difference between 2 days ago and today is noticeable :(

So now people are cashng in by monetising youtube videos inside the house since they realised the first one got over a million hits?

Back