Skip to main content

Big Brother Germany...September 22

Just a short summary:

BB12 Germany uses the pair twist that was used in Australia last year. After the first six housemates entered, Big Brother has told them that they need to pick a team member. Once somebody entered, one of them was able to pick the new housemate. Since 13 people entered the house one of them is without a team mate. That person has to live in the punishment area, a steel dome in the garden, until further notice.

At the end of the launch day Big Brother put up everyone for eviction. First person will leave next Tuesday. After that housemates will nominate as pairs, compete in weekly tasks and matches as pairs and will get punished as a pair. They haven't said anything about being evicted as a pair yet. But Big Brother said they'll compete as a team until further notice. So I assume that they won't do it until the end of the season. Nominations and evictions will still be bi-weekly.

Weekly tasks seem to be classic early-bb-tasks. The ones on the smaller scale. First one is: there are 12 seats in the garden and housemates have to make sure that at least one pair is sitting on their chairs until next Monday or Tuesday. If they succeed, they'll get 50 Euros per person per week. If they fail, they'll only get cabbage soup for the next week.

Housemates are fame hungry people. Most of them were on TV before, mainly crappy scripted reality shows during daytime. Some have Facebook pages with lots of Fans and make online videos. You don't see your average Joe or Jane. Which made people rather angry before the season started and Facebook team wasn't quite able to handle that situation. But Facebook is run by sixx, not the producers. I don't think they really into the show, it all feels a bit halfhearted.

Ratings for the launch were fine, they probably expected it to rate better. 4% market share in the target audience, tripled the sixx' average market share. It had 770.000 viewers in total. As a comparison: The rather low-rated BB11 live shows on RTL2 used to get 1.2 million viewers on average while the channel had a market share of 6% in the target audience.

If you wanna see the new house:
http://bigbrother-hausrundgang.sixx.de/

And not sure, but I think those videos are not geo-blocked: http://bbfun.de/videoalben/big-brother-videos/

Just a short summary:

BB12 Germany uses the pair twist that was used in Australia last year. After the first six housemates entered, Big Brother has told them that they need to pick a team member. Once somebody entered, one of them was able to pick the new housemate. Since 13 people entered the house one of them is without a team mate. That person has to live in the punishment area, a steel dome in the garden, until further notice.

At the end of the launch day Big Brother put up everyone for eviction. First person will leave next Tuesday. After that housemates will nominate as pairs, compete in weekly tasks and matches as pairs and will get punished as a pair. They haven't said anything about being evicted as a pair yet. But Big Brother said they'll compete as a team until further notice. So I assume that they won't do it until the end of the season. Nominations and evictions will still be bi-weekly.

Weekly tasks seem to be classic early-bb-tasks. The ones on the smaller scale. First one is: there are 12 seats in the garden and housemates have to make sure that at least one pair is sitting on their chairs until next Monday or Tuesday. If they succeed, they'll get 50 Euros per person per week. If they fail, they'll only get cabbage soup for the next week.

Housemates are fame hungry people. Most of them were on TV before, mainly crappy scripted reality shows during daytime. Some have Facebook pages with lots of Fans and make online videos. You don't see your average Joe or Jane. Which made people rather angry before the season started and Facebook team wasn't quite able to handle that situation. But Facebook is run by sixx, not the producers. I don't think they really into the show, it all feels a bit halfhearted.

Ratings for the launch were fine, they probably expected it to rate better. 4% market share in the target audience, tripled the sixx' average market share. It had 770.000 viewers in total. As a comparison: The rather low-rated BB11 live shows on RTL2 used to get 1.2 million viewers on average while the channel had a market share of 6% in the target audience.

If you wanna see the new house:
http://bigbrother-hausrundgang.sixx.de/

And not sure, but I think those videos are not geo-blocked: http://bbfun.de/videoalben/big-brother-videos/

I'm quiet surprised that they went with the partners twist considering they were marketing the show as having gone "back to basics"... It's a piss poor twist to start off with to begin with... I'm not surprised at the uproar over casting either but that is the way BB seems to be leaning...

The house is rather small IMO... However without the two way mirrors it's got a very unique style to it that you really don't see elsewhere... Overall it seems pretty basic and extremely cramped... Was there any explanation given for why there are two Diary Room's? I also wonder if the lack of two way mirrors/manned cameras has something to do with the smaller house...

Ratings wise 700,000 seems like a decent rating considering Sixx is a cable network where as RTL2 probably had a wider reach considering it's available free to air... That said nowadays it's market share and demographics that determine what a show is worth to advertisers not the actual number of viewers...

20 minutes through Der Einzug (first episode)... What is Lusy WEARING? Or not quite wearing... And Isabell doesnt DRINK???!!! gonna have to watch the rest tomorrow I think. It's definitely not Big Brother Australia if I can say this at this very early stage. There seems generally just less 'hype' with the Moderator and the studio audience. But we'll see...

They have already used two diary rooms for BB10 and BB11 as a time saver during live nominations. They call people in while somebody else nominates and don't have to show people walking to the dairy rooms. They haven't used the second dairy room for anything else in the past.

The pair twist sucks everywhere. Certainly agree with that. But at least we had a 13th housemate, at least that added some sort of drama with him living on the outside of the house. Something else that they took from BB Australia: on the daily show they're showing events out of order. At least that's what a few people said on twitter.

The house itself covers 235 square meters and it's a bit smaller than the garden (245 sqm). I think they did that purpose. They haven't said anything about this year's house, but producers said that the PBB house was purposely smaller in order to provoke arguments.

sixx is actually available free to air, too. sixx is to Sat.1 what 5* is to Channel 5 or Go! to Nine. But it's true that RTL2 has a wider reach. RTL2 is available everywhere via terrestrial television and analoge cable, sixx is only available on digital satellite and cable television.

It's definitely not Big Brother Australia if I can say this at this very early stage.

They like to copy a few things from Australia and the BB voice was actually introduced, because they liked the deep BB voice from the Kris Noble era. But it's certainly not Big Brother Australia.

The presentation of the daily shows is closer to the US version than the UK or Australian one. You don't hear Big Brother during the daily shows. The main voice is only used for live shows. Also, housemates are called to the diary room at the end of the day to answer questions from the producers and those statements are shown throughout the daily show, similar to the US. They also like to edit the scenes a bit, adding music for example. There was a time when it was way over-edited with lots of effects (e.g. shaking the footage if there's an argument), I think that changed though.

But expect a lot of shower scenes. If they can show somebody naked, they'll will.

They have already used two diary rooms for BB10 and BB11 as a time saver during live nominations. They call people in while somebody else nominates and don't have to show people walking to the dairy rooms. They haven't used the second dairy room for anything else in the past.

The pair twist sucks everywhere. Certainly agree with that. But at least we had a 13th housemate, at least that added some sort of drama with him living on the outside of the house. Something else that they took from BB Australia: on the daily show they're showing events out of order. At least that's what a few people said on twitter.

The house itself covers 235 square meters and it's a bit smaller than the garden (245 sqm). I think they did that purpose. They haven't said anything about this year's house, but producers said that the PBB house was purposely smaller in order to provoke arguments.

sixx is actually available free to air, too. sixx is to Sat.1 what 5* is to Channel 5 or Go! to Nine. But it's true that RTL2 has a wider reach. RTL2 is available everywhere via terrestrial television and analoge cable, sixx is only available on digital satellite and cable television.
Off topic bc I still haven't watched the rest yet, but I can't get RTL... Someone said it needed some special decoder or subscription or something... Have you got any insight into that? Or is my signal just dodgy - I am using an internal 'room' antenna to watch via my iPad. I watched BB direct from the website (later) but I can get sixx via the antenna no problem if I want. I have just never been able to get RTL...

Guess you're living in Munich, Stuttgart or Leipzig? RTL quit FTA-terrestrial television in those cities. They offered their signal encrypted for some time, but that wasn't a success and you can't subscribe anymore. It will change when they introduce DVB-T2 though.

If you're using VPN or Smart DNS, an app called Zattoo is your friend. The Swiss version offers German channels as well including RTL channels. You can also watch British channels like BBC or ITV for free. You need a VPN or Smart DNS though. The German version doesn't offer RTL for free and no British TV at all.

btw. BB ratings dropped to 2.8% in the target audience, 490.000 viewers in total. Lost a third of its viewers.

Hm, no, Nuremberg. But I guess I am within the triangle of those cities...if that's how it works.

I have seen it on other people's TV but they also subscribe to cable... Anyway seeing as I currently don't even actually have a TV (watching via iPad) it is not that big a deal at the moment...

Well I didn't get through all Der Einzug (website put an error message up saying the video couldn't be viewed while I was half way through) but I watched the daily show. I liked it actually... I did find it more back to basics than what the Australian version has/had become in the last few seasons. I liked the mix of characters and how they put the show together. I couldn't pick everything they said because I speak Denglish better than I speak Deutsch but I'm hoping that will improve a bit as I keep watching. But it's quite weird to see them wearing daggy clothes, SMOKING, and snacking. Next thing they will be reading magazines and calling their friends...! They seem aware of the cameras but not totally playing up to them. Or at least not yet from the one show I have seen![DOUBLEPOST=1443129631][/DOUBLEPOST]Hm, no, Nuremberg. But I guess I am within the triangle of those cities...if that's how it works.

I have seen it on other people's TV but they also subscribe to cable... Anyway seeing as I currently don't even actually have a TV (watching via iPad) it is not that big a deal at the moment...

Well I didn't get through all Der Einzug (website put an error message up saying the video couldn't be viewed while I was half way through) but I watched the daily show. I liked it actually... I did find it more back to basics than what the Australian version has/had become in the last few seasons. I liked the mix of characters and how they put the show together. I couldn't pick everything they said because I speak Denglish better than I speak Deutsch but I'm hoping that will improve a bit as I keep watching. But it's quite weird to see them wearing daggy clothes, SMOKING, and snacking. Next thing they will be reading magazines and calling their friends...! They seem aware of the cameras but not totally playing up to them. Or at least not yet from the one show I have seen!

I looked it up for you, RTL left terrestrial TV in Nuremberg, too. It's just too expensive, because there are hardly any people using an antenna for TV. It's either cable or satellite TV in Germany.

And a short update:

This year six housemates, one from each team, will get a joker, which can be used at any time during the season. The first team was picked by Big Brother for contributing the most to the weekly tasks and they had to pick the person who gets a joker. These are the jokers:
- being safe from nominations
- ability to nominate a second person
- still getting your budget if housemates failed the weekly task
- being allowed to leave the punishment area
- not being required to take part in the weekly task
- taking the joker from someone else

They do a lottery to decide which joker you get. The first housemate picked his joker in the studio (e.g. left the house), the other 5 housemates will pick their jokers over the next few days.

Also, we had the first round of nominations: Everybody nominated on their own. Viewers were able to cast a vote, too. The person with the most votes and his or her team mate are up for eviction.

Just in case anybody wants to know:

The season ended yesterday and sixx already said that there are currently no plans for another season. Their Promi Big Brother Late Night show will return next year though for the fourth celebrity season.

Average audience share was 1.8% (in the 14-49 demos), above the channel's average share of 1.3%. But they expected bigger ratings and more buzz.

Back