Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada - Season 11

I just want to see a bit more of the creativity that set it apart in it's first few seasons. It's been a bit lacking on that front recently.

Usually Mon/Wed/Thu with Mondays show being filmed by Friday, so the extra day shouldn't make too much difference to the blackouts, which are always excessive on BB CAN anyway.

Frustrates me though, especially with this scheduling, the HoH Comp is not completed on the "live" show. It sets up the next week much better by ending the week knowing who the next HoH is.

Ditching live feeds in favour of curated clips of content can only mean one thing… RIP BBCAN

Last edited:
God, I wasn't overly enthused about the upcoming season as it was without them doing that.
I rarely if ever get excited for a BB premiere but this announcement has definitely crushed any potential. They might as well go all in and just pre-record the show at this point.

Wow I’m surprised by this. I (perhaps mistakenly?) thought BB Canada was used as a benchmark of standard that other countries should be aspiring to. Maybe that was a few years ago?

Wow I’m surprised by this. I (perhaps mistakenly?) thought BB Canada was used as a benchmark of standard that other countries should be aspiring to. Maybe that was a few years ago?
I don’t really know what it is that you’re asking… However we’ve always been fed the narrative that BB live feeds were a cornerstone of the format. Canceling live feeds has been suggested by a few people but no one from production has come close to even threatening it. This announcement has been the ultimate BB blindside. Here’s a statement from EP Erin Brock from 2015.

It's disgusting to that they're hiding behind the contestants and their families mental health as the justification for penny pinching on the feeds. When things go wrong for contestants it is far better the true story is out there and people have seen everything in the context it happened in - it's usually far worse when fans are left to fill in the blanks themselves.

I suspect too it's better for the family to be able to tune in and see their loved one is doing OK than wait 5 days for the next TV show.

I guess what I’m asking is, is BB in Canada still highly regarded as a strong version of the show? The last time I was invested in it was a good few years ago, and I remember thinking that it put other versions to shame with its strong production values, good twists etc. It seemed like one of the best versions around. I didn’t think the show would be ditching the live feed anytime soon.

It certainly was the best version around for it's first few years but it's failed to meet the bar it set itself since then. I'd say it still edges it over BBUSA, and certainly crushes BBAus, but a stunt like this is happening at a time when it was already on the decline.

I guess what I’m asking is, is BB in Canada still highly regarded as a strong version of the show? The last time I was invested in it was a good few years ago, and I remember thinking that it put other versions to shame with its strong production values, good twists etc. It seemed like one of the best versions around. I didn’t think the show would be ditching the live feed anytime soon.
One of the reasons they’re so highly regarded is that they seemed to listen to fans… Although this is probably the reason the show has declined in recent years. For some reason the North American fanbase HATE twists, especially when said twists deviate outside of the status quo format. We’ve had a few changes in recent years but otherwise the show has been playing it pretty safe in the creative department.

It's disgusting to that they're hiding behind the contestants and their families mental health as the justification for penny pinching on the feeds. When things go wrong for contestants it is far better the true story is out there and people have seen everything in the context it happened in - it's usually far worse when fans are left to fill in the blanks themselves.

I suspect too it's better for the family to be able to tune in and see their loved one is doing OK than wait 5 days for the next TV show.
Any other format and I’d agree it’d be penny pinching, but this was inevitable since BBTwitter gets worse and worse every year, and BBCAN has shown that it’s willing to cut feeds in reaction.

Especially last season, any feed with Jess became gone even though they were HOH, and I think there was also another period of time where Marty was treated persona non grata? Not to mention the fans trying to contact sponsors and workplaces over any minor transgression.

Cutting costs might be a part of it, but I do think BBCAN at least cares about the mental health of its participants. It’s just a shame that feeds are the heart and soul of the show; might as well prefilm it.

I do think BBCAN at least cares about the mental health of its participants.
I think the whole “mental health” excuse is just a whitewash. If their duty of care was really that big of a deal they would have acted sooner. With the show in decline the decision to cut the live feed is about control. Corus believe they’re going to pull more viewers in to the broadcast show by taking control of the narrative. Yes they’ve pissed off BB Twitter in the process but they’re banking on the majority still watching. TBH completely honest I think they’re probably 100% correct in that assumption. I was in a Twitter space earlier with some BBCAN alumni and while they were all critical of the decision many said they’d still support the show.

Last edited:
Back