Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada: Pre-Season Discussion

First order of business:

It seems that BBCA is moving to a new studio for it's second season...

Big Brother Canada Season 2 Gets A New Home

The Big Brother Canada sophmore season is ramping up now that casting is closed and when it premieres those lucky houseguests will be entering a brand new home.

Earlier this month a member of the Big Brother Canada production team put out this picture from a meeting. The image was intended to highlight the the prep work for the new season, but there in the background is the design of a new Big Brother house.

Further investigative snooping on our part turned up a confirmation that yes, BBCAN would be moving to a new location for 2014. The change was not intended or planned, but rather the result of some unexpected events.

The original Big Brother Canada house was incredible and very impressive with its slick design and technological features like a lighting system in the “backyard” designed to mimic the sun’s shift across the sky.

While we’re disappointed to hear of their troubles we expect BBCAN to fully exploit the opportunity to create an even bigger and better home for the new batch of HGs.

bbcan2-house-layout-meeting-480x320.jpg

http://canada.bigbrothernetwork.com/big-brother-canada-season-2-gets-a-new-home/

I must say this change is extremely welcome in my books... The previous location didn't seem as suited to a BB house as one would have thought...

Things I'm hoping for in the new location:

More space!!! I enjoyed the open layout in the main living area but all of the rooms in the Bedroom/Bathroom corridor seemed cramped... It's almost as if that area was more of an afterthought...

I really hope the staircase remains... It's minor but the whole idea of BBCA is that close relationship with BBUS while having it's own unique elements... The staircase is just something different and is more visually appealing that having the HG's walk through a small corridor in to the studio...

The studio really needs some work... That's not to say the previous studio was horrific but it totally pails in comparison to BB15's BBCA inspired revamp...

Along the same lines but they really do need to pump some money in to the house itself... I liked the fact that they built The Brick's sponsorship in to the design of the house but that said The Brick really isn't know for high end furniture... They may as well have used Ikea furniture... And they were totally off the mark with the mid-century modern theme... Lastly that mural in the "backyard" was just the icing on the cake... The whole thing looked cheap...

Speaking of the "backyard" it would be interesting if the actual outdoor area could actually flow out of the house or backyard enclosed with glass doors... At best it would let in some natural light from time to time and it would be nice to see it be less of a space separate from the rest of house...

Lastly please build a separate challenge area!!! Especially when it came to endurance comps last year it was silly to have them set up in the yard and at least if they were in their own area set pieces could be constructed in place... Again it all comes down to things looking cheap or set pieces needing to be assembled and moved quickly in and out of the yard...

I can't wait. So glad that one girl was so dumb and justice was served. I was not a fan of bringing someone back from the juryhouse and even worse that BB USA did the same but I did enjoy BB Canada a lot!

who can?... BBCAN! Can't wait for the new season! Thanks for the new thread [MENTION=29222]Kingston[/MENTION] !

Great info on the house. Loved the one last year with the exception of the bedroom. Will be exciting to see what they come up with this season!

Wouldn't be surprised if they basically move the set to the new studio - if there is anything redesigned I don't think they'll stray too far from the familar layout. I agree though the bedroom wing needs work, and it would be nice if the actual outdoor space was accessed from the main house, with perhaps the fake back yard only used for challenges.

Wouldn't be surprised if they basically move the set to the new studio - if there is anything redesigned I don't think they'll stray too far from the familar layout. I agree though the bedroom wing needs work, and it would be nice if the actual outdoor space was accessed from the main house, with perhaps the fake back yard only used for challenges.

The indoor/outdoor "yard" is pretty much non-negotiable... BBCA launches in February and snow had only just began to melt as I was was watching the BBCA finale... I do live over 2000 KM away from the house but it's safe to say that a large majority of the series is filmed during sub-zero temperatures that would not be cohesive to the HG's relaying on the outdoor area alone...

TBH I'm not expecting the house to be a complete departure from the original or your typical BBUS house... I do however give them enough credit to have at least have given things a shake up... The house designer the last time around mentioned that he admired BBUK's house as it felt like a "high end condo"... Which IMO is at least an indication that they looked elsewhere for inspiration... One of the more recent criticisms of BBUS has been the house's stagnant layout... Even blogs that are relatively mainstream and are rarely ever critical have said so... But regardless it does seem as if the producers planned to or had at least talked about change things up for season 2 well before the move... If season 1 was any indication these producers are all about being different for the sake of it being unexpected...

I'm not looking forward to the house guests - I doubt we'll see class HG's like the Aussies get. The same casting group for the US does Canada and after last year's US HG fiasco, I can't imagine what Canada will get.

LOL - never seen the Aussie HMs described as "class" before.

The casting was very safe and to be honest much of the cast are quite forgettable. I'm struggling to name more than 6-7 of them.

The casting was very safe and to be honest much of the cast are quite forgettable. I'm struggling to name more than 6-7 of them.

Have you seen the dregs that go on the US show? It is completely different than Australia. I will write more about it later , but there is no comparison .

I don't mind the idea of the new house.. Like the OP said, I thought the living area and backyard were great, but the corridors and bedroom seemed really narrow and dark.. more design in the bedroom would be cool too!! Not just purple walls and white comforters or whatever color they were.. the bedroom was super boring!!

I hope they stay as close to their house as possible and not go in the direction of the BBUS house! In the earlier years I loved the BBUS house, but after seeing the BBAU, BBUK and BBCan houses, I think the BBUS house looks old and very cheap.. BBUS could do A LOT better!!

I'm excited for the new season!! I disliked BB15 with a passion!! I hope Robyn Kassting picks good HM's and not the rotten apples like she did with the BB15 cast, thinking about them still grosses me out!! Bleghhhhhh!!

Hi there. Do you know where the house is this year? I think last year it was somewhere in Mississagua.

As for posts commenting about the bedroom layout, I totally agree BUT I think it was done on purpose. An uncomfortable and cramped bedroom ensures that HMs spend max time in the living room or "outdoor" set. I know BB isn't the true social experiment it set out to be, but from what I've heard, psychologists still play a role in the design of the house, color scheme etc etc..

The indoor/outdoor "yard" is pretty much non-negotiable... BBCA launches in February and snow had only just began to melt as I was was watching the BBCA finale... I do live over 2000 KM away from the house but it's safe to say that a large majority of the series is filmed during sub-zero temperatures that would not be cohesive to the HG's relaying on the outdoor area alone...

TBH I'm not expecting the house to be a complete departure from the original or your typical BBUS house... I do however give them enough credit to have at least have given things a shake up... The house designer the last time around mentioned that he admired BBUK's house as it felt like a "high end condo"... Which IMO is at least an indication that they looked elsewhere for inspiration... One of the more recent criticisms of BBUS has been the house's stagnant layout... Even blogs that are relatively mainstream and are rarely ever critical have said so... But regardless it does seem as if the producers planned to or had at least talked about change things up for season 2 well before the move... If season 1 was any indication these producers are all about being different for the sake of it being unexpected...

They would be pretty hard pressed to find anyone that extreme even if we are geographically close. ;-) Then again, all that controversy definitely increased ratings so they might try really hard to replicate...darn!

I'm not looking forward to the house guests - I doubt we'll see class HG's like the Aussies get. The same casting group for the US does Canada and after last year's US HG fiasco, I can't imagine what Canada will get.

Robyn Kass really only facilitates the casting process and her crew select ideal candidates during the early stages based on a set of criteria given to them by production... The final HG selections are made by both the network and the executive producers... Robyn is merely there taking everyone through the process and is essentially there as moral support...

As for HG selection I guess "safe" is a good way of putting it... They wanted to ensure HG's met the same standards as the US series and could provide for interesting and dynamic gameplay... On the other hand they also wanted a cast that reflected Canada and wasn't necessarily cookie cutter either... I think a lot of effort went in to ensuring they were producing a show that was of a similar caliber to BBUS especially given that it is where most imports have failed... If the casting had to be "safe" in order to ensure the show was watchable and could sustain multiple seasons I'm happy with that...

BTW I didn't even complete the season in it's entirety and I can remember pretty much everyone by name...

More pre-launch news...

‘Major’ original twist planned for Big Brother Canada'

Big Brother Canada’s second season will launch with a ‘major’ twist that has never been done before in any other country, it’s claimed.

Executive producer John Brunton revealed the news in an interview with CarterMatt.com, claiming that the scheme would ‘shock’ contestants with a ‘huge involvement’ from the Canadian public.

“We have a major theme that we are working on this year,” he stated.

“I can’t reveal it to you, but it’s something that I don’t think that anyone has ever seen on a ‘Big Brother’ show in the United States or Canada. It’s a major, major thing that we’re pulling off.

“We’re going to do something at the beginning that again, nobody’s ever seen on any ‘Big Brother’ anywhere.”

He added: “It will have a huge involvement with Canadians all across the country, and it’s going to be shocking to the houseguests. They’re going to be freaked out.

“I’m telling you: It’s going to be a freakin’ barnburner. People are going to be on the edge of their seats.”

Brunton – who has also executive produced shows such as Canada’s Got Talent and Canadian Idol – was speaking at auditions for the new season, which closed last week.

It was recently reported that the Big Brother Canada house will be moved to a new location ahead of its second run, which is expected to begin in February.

Read more: http://www.bbspy.co.uk/bbcan/news/1...-brother-canada-season-two-2014#ixzz2jkt6jviJ

This twist sounds as if it might be something similar to BBUK series 11 where the HM's were chosen from a select pool of candidates on launch night... Only in this case Canada has full control... BBUS's All-stars series also had a public vote to select HG's but "America" was only allowed to choose half the cast while the others were selected by the producers...

To answer someones question from earlier... BBCA will launch around the same time it did last year... Give or take a few weeks... Last year the series ran for around 10 weeks... Given the fact that the show was fairly popular we may see that time extended by 1 or 2 weeks... I suspect any time after the 15th of February would be a good estimate...

Last edited:
Back