Skip to main content

Big Brother Australia | Music Streaming | Songl

Daltrim

Awesome site donor
Big Brother Music Streaming | Songl

Big Brother will promote contestants’ Songl playlists inside the show each week along with other content initiatives for the service as part of a revenue sharing deal Songl has with Nine. Songl’s parent, Digital Music Distribution (DMD), is a joint venture between Southern Cross Austereo and record labels Universal and Sony.

http://www.afr.com/p/business/marke...g_expected_to_decimate_i4eXJ17bmf41awwysYMJqK

_________

The music-streaming service will be available as a 30-day trial for new and existing users when signing up using an email address or Facebook login.

https://secure.songl.com/faq

https://secure.songl.com/

Question: why isn't 'real' music allowed into the house? Rights issues?

On every episode of the block they have like 20 different songs per episode, so i do not understand why they cant either play music like they do on BBUK (i have only seen the recent celebrity version) or let HM's listen to well known popular songs during birthday parties and other events in the house.

because theyd have to pay rights for certain songs, so its better just to say no music
and i guess you could consider it an outside world thing theyre not supposed to have the luxury of access to.

But Ch 9 all ready have paid for the rights to the songs on the block, so why can't they just play some of the same songs in the house or as part of the show like on the block. They released a frigging block soundtrack. I understand music being a luxury i don't expect big brother to play music 24/7 for the HM's but it would be nice when a HM has a birthday party to be able to listen and dance to popular songs. Like i said i just watched the celebrity BBUk version and i was shocked to hear top 40 music being played on the show and inside the house for the HM's. Sorry that's my little rant over with now.

it just music....
our bb never has, why change it now?

im sure theres a better reason though

yeah i understand, i just really like hearing music on CBBUK. But you are right our version prob won't be having any music. Sorry about my little rant lol.

Songl's Big Brother integration

Songl's Big Brother integration play

02 Aug 2013

Wenlei Ma

BBSongl.jpg

Integration is the watchword and in the crowded music streaming space, differentiation could be key. Songl is hoping its partnership with Nine and its involvement with Big Brother will go a long way to helping it stand out.

If you've been watching Big Brother this week, and at least 1.3 million metro viewers have, you might have seen Songl as one of the major sponsors of this year's series. Beyond the brand ad spots during the commercial breaks, the Big Brother contestants have also put together individual playlists of their favourite tunes on Songl.

But there is much more to come. “We have a hell of a lot more integration, massive amounts of in-show integration, coming up in the next 12 weeks,” said Mark Shaw, chief executive of Digital Music Australia, the overarching company which runs Songl. Shaw won't disclose what that in-show integration is, preferring to keep it a mystery for the moment, but he promised it will be big and it will go across Channel Nine and Ninemsn.

So far, Songl has seen colossal spikes in traffic to its platform during the Big Brother commercial breaks and Shaw said he's really happy with week one.

The Big Brother integration is the first major piece of the long-term Songl and Nine Entertainment Co commercial partnership, which Shaw described as working collectively in the market around the music offering, building content, integrating and generally collaborating across all the Nine properties. He wouldn't elaborate on what the partnership entailed except that it provided commercial benefits to Nine. It's been reported the deal is a revenue-sharing agreement.

Nine inked the deal with Songl, a joint venture between Sony Music, Universal Music and Southern Cross Austereo, in late June, about three months after the music streaming service launched.

It has no shortage of competitors in a category Shaw said has less than 10% awareness among the general Australian public – Spotify, Rdio, JB Hifi Now, Pandora, Mog and Deezer to name a few. Which is why he believes it's important that Songl has a different model.

“We have a differentiation is terms of strategy of creating a strong music brand,” Shaw added. “Our approach is a mass market one and targeting that audience in integrated ways to connect with the consumer to trial, subscribe and endorse Songl.”

He said the company was ahead of its targets – its metrics are driven by registration and subscriptions – in the few months has been up and running but Shaw declined to give figures.

He stressed integration, not just with Nine but also with co-owners Southern Cross Austereo, Sony Music and Universal Music has made all the difference. “The all-encompassing approach, and there are many companies involved, has driven a lot of activity," said Shaw.
http://www.adnews.com.au/adnews/songl-s-big-brother-integration-play

because theyd have to pay rights for certain songs, so its better just to say no music
and i guess you could consider it an outside world thing theyre not supposed to have the luxury of access to.

So how do we find songs that feature on the show if they're not "real"? there is this song that featured on one tree hill season 3 ep 14, the song is a remix of a hindi song and its named chali arr arr tu chali arr, but i can't find it anywhere at all! it was also featured on BBAU ep 55 late night feast school edition at 38:25... how do i find songs like that?

But Ch 9 all ready have paid for the rights to the songs on the block, so why can't they just play some of the same songs in the house or as part of the show like on the block. They released a frigging block soundtrack. I understand music being a luxury i don't expect big brother to play music 24/7 for the HM's but it would be nice when a HM has a birthday party to be able to listen and dance to popular songs. Like i said i just watched the celebrity BBUk version and i was shocked to hear top 40 music being played on the show and inside the house for the HM's. Sorry that's my little rant over with now.

I think its something about non diegetic and diegetic sound, music put onto the video in editing is fine, but playing music directly so the housemate can hear the music is a different kind of music rights.

Back