Skip to main content

Big Brother Australia 2022 - Back To The Future - Promos, Trailers & Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zcsund1234 I think you’re forgetting the show is still pre-recorded and heavily edited. Bringing back former HG’s is about ratings not about changing the show for the better.

I am completely aware this won't change the show, I don't think at all this is in any way a way for them to change the show but merely a way to get people to watch as I mentioned the curiosity factor playing a role in. My entire post is about why this was an optimal decision in terms of ratings. Whether or not this is also intended, it will in a way "condition" viewers to possibly ease into the format as Masterchef was able to do with the new judges. Having All Star Masterchef contestants were able to hold onto the initial Masterchef feel despite the judges not being there, through association audiences were able to ease into having new judges. As with this some viewers who have turned off may find they will be inclined to enjoy the show due to simply seeing familiar faces they enjoyed seeing in the past. Classical conditioning is fascinating thing that can be used in a showed in more ways than just editing. Some viewers my genuinely tune in to see former housemates and some of those will definitely stick around to watch the entire season. This ratings gimmick may not be what I would prefer but I have no doubt in my mind it will work for viewing interest. But also you can't not expect some form of content to make the show showing the past housemates discussing their 20 year old selves the first time in the house compared to now.

Last edited:
I hate to rain on this parade but the chances of anything substantial having changed are slim. I guarantee this series will follow the exact format they’ve used for the previous two series. Seven are simply using past HG’s for ratings.
Oh don’t get me wrong, I 150% know this to be true. Not for a second am I under the impression the current format or editing of the show will change. But, as much of a shock as it will come to many here, I am totally in support of the idea.

A lot will depend on which ex HMs they cast but, as @Zcsund1234 has said, Seven have just landed an enormous ratings win for themselves, regardless of how it’s put together.

Last edited:
I am completely aware this won't change the show, I don't think at all this is in any way a way for them to change the show but merely a way to get people to watch as I mentioned the curiosity factor playing a role in. My entire post is about why this was an optimal decision in terms of ratings. Whether or not this is also intended, it will in a way "condition" viewers to possibly ease into the format as Masterchef was able to do with the new year judges. Having All Star Masterchef contestants were able to hold onto the initial Masterchef feel despite the judged being there, through association audiences were able to ease into having new judges. As with this some viewers who have turned off may find they will be inclined to enjoy the show due to simply seeing familiar faces they enjoyed seeing in the past. Classical conditioning is fascinating thing that can be used in a showed in more ways than just editing. Some viewers my genuinely tune in to see former housemates and some of those will definitely stick around to watch the entire season. This ratings gimmick may not be what I would prefer but I have no doubt in my mind it will work for viewing interest. But also you can not expect some form of content to make the show showing the past housemates discussing their 20 year old selves the first time in the house compared to now.
This.

I don't think anyone here is in anyway expecting the format to differ from this. But the whole reason Australian fans loved Big Brother is for the characters and their eccentric or relatable personalities. In a world plagued by influencers and instagram star wannabes, it will be a huge breath of fresh air to see some people who we once viewed as normal every day Australians on the TV again. But not only regular everyday Aussies, but Aussies we have a nostalgic attachment to. With the inclusion of the former housemates I am very much likely going to be able to ignore a lot of the format of the show as much of my interest will be seeing these former players play the modern game and see how they compare the two experiences. Once it's done I will probably lose interest once again and so may many fans. But for this season itself Seven have guaranteed a ratings win, I can't see this at the very least not opening with huge numbers. Once it's over people may realise it's not the show they love but merely footage of former faces we once were obsessed with watching. Some viewers may be inclined to stick it out after watching the entire thing. The use of celebrities has managed to work well with Survivor, with champions vs contenders really helping boost an audience for the show, this fans vs favourites concept is so foreign to the Australian reality TV viewer it may have just bought Seven's BB a few more seasons for it's life span.

With the inclusion of the former housemates I am very much likely going to be able to ignore a lot of the format of the show as much of my interest will be seeing these former players play the modern game and see how they compare the two experiences. […] But for this season itself Seven have guaranteed a ratings win, I can't see this at the very least not opening with huge numbers.
Nail on the head here. Heck, it’s already won me back as a viewer for this season alone. I know it’ll be heavily edited, but you’ve articulated in your post why this will be essential viewing for fans very well.

The “ex-contestants vs regular people” thing is also a well-proven success in Australia at the moment. For some reason almost every single reality show we have on air has done this in the last year or two. So it makes sense that Seven are jumping BB onto that bandwagon as well. It works.

And yes. If these launch ratings don’t top 2020’s premiere I’d be very surprised. There is a very real thirst for reality TV in general in Australia, let alone for Big Brother, that despite its downfalls and cancellations over the years still continues to peak time and time again. As soon as news goes mainstream that ex HMs are joining the series and promos start going out, the season will open to huge numbers. This is the best decision Seven has made for BB thus far.

Nail on the head here. Heck, it’s already won me back as a viewer for this season alone. I know it’ll be heavily edited, but you’ve articulated in your post why this will be essential viewing for fans very well.

The “ex-contestants vs regular people” thing is also a well-proven success in Australia at the moment. For some reason almost every single reality show we have on air has done this in the last year or two. So it makes sense that Seven are jumping BB onto that bandwagon as well. It works.

And yes. If these launch ratings don’t top 2020’s premiere I’d be very surprised. There is a very real thirst for reality TV in general in Australia, let alone for Big Brother, that despite its downfalls and cancellations over the years still continues to peak time and time again. As soon as news goes mainstream that ex HMs are joining the series and promos start going out, the season will open to huge numbers. This is the best decision Seven has made for BB thus far.

I completely agree. With Dancing with the Stars using the All stars vs Newbies twists it is no wonder 7 wanted to use it for Big Brother. Amazing Race US, Big Brother US and Survivor US have all used this format before with using all stars and new players, so to a US viewer this is a regular occurrence, but to the Australian Big Brother viewer this is a hugely massive deal. We've never really seen many reality shows bring back former contestants. The closest we were until recently was the Block All stars and Masterchef All stars. Other than that (someone correct me if I am wrong) we've never had a reality show dive so deep into it's past to bring back former players. There is no way this won't become water cooler talk to some level. Younger viewers are already watching but this will do well with encouraging older Aussies to give this a go. I just cannot see a way this does not crack an easy 1,000,000 viewers at least for the launch. I silently am confident it could even push more. I will honestly be shocked if this does not rate well. The ratings themselves will not necessarily indicate the series is good, it's just people will be interested to see what happens. I did not particularly find Survivor Winners at War to be a top tier season, but I was very interested to watch Rob and Amber play again as I grew up viewing them as big celebrities. This is no different context to me, I will be interested to see these people just simply be on TV. This year I fell behind with the episodes week after week and catching up felt like a chore, but I have no doubt in my mind my entire household, family and friendship group will be somewhat intrigued to see reference made to the previous seasons. A lot of this is also because I am completely shocked at how the show is acknowledging it's past. I was so sure it was trying to identify as if the show was new and 2001-2014 did not exist. But to go from foolishly referring to itself as season 1, to now not only making reference to past housemates but now CASTING THEM. That is insane, and I have to see what they do with this. Regardless if it's poor or enjoyable I cannot not watch what happens. They got me hook line and sinker, if their mission was to make purists interested in watching this crappy new format they've done more than simply enough to win me over.

It's so ironic that Seven has switched to doing Celebrity (sorry, "VIP") and returning player seasons for their BB format, which barely allows any airtime to conversations and interactions amongst the HMs.

Although, having said that, it was previously a rule that HMs couldn't discuss previous seasons, which would make a returning player season a bit pointless in the old format without dropping that rule.

Also of note, 7+ has brought the rights to air Big Brother Canada locally here in Australia next year as well.
Well at least you'll get one decent Big Brother next year. Or possibly 10 if it includes the back seasons.

As for 7 - two season in and they're already bringing back ex-housemates. It sounds terrible.

2 Seasons of BB
2 Seasons of The Voice
2 Seasons of SAS

Rather than making multiple, shitty versions of shows every year, why not make one good quality version.

2 Seasons of BB
2 Seasons of The Voice
2 Seasons of SAS

Rather than making multiple, shitty versions of shows every year, why not make one good quality version.
But they’re rating well..?

I can’t stand The Voice. Not one season has created a star. I feel sorry for the artists. Strange that not one of them have been able to launch a successful career, even without the ongoing assistance.

SAS Australia - I hate the yelling. I just KNOW I would never survive in the armed forces. I hope there’s now conscription in my future 😂

Big Brother does need a bit less emphasis on challenges - and please LESS PHYSICAL ONES - but I do love the suspense & tension.

Be funny to watch these big brother all stars for their three minute appearance each second episode.

I wonder if they'll put any pot plants in. Imagine how bad they'd be in this format!

I think the only one I spotted was Trevor in the promo. Although, still not sure if his pot plantedness was deliberately leaving him out so they could get their winner who proposes.

But they’re rating well..?

Can't argue with that haha! I still can't believe that The Voice did over 1 million every night. I watched the blinds, then gave up. I thought it was a cheap and nasty production. Didn't bother with SAS, and we all know that BB is average as fuck. There is no incentive to improve when the ratings are high.

Can't argue with that haha! I still can't believe that The Voice did over 1 million every night. I watched the blinds, then gave up. I thought it was a cheap and nasty production.

They actually had a lot of incredible talent this year. Shame it’s not a star maker. If I were wanting a real career I’d hold out for Australian Idol. Time will tell whether they will mess with the format or whether it can be a star maker once again. However it’s never gonna happen on the Voice, sadly.

They actually had a lot of incredible talent this year. Shame it’s not a star maker. If I were wanting a real career I’d hold out for Australian Idol. Time will tell whether they will mess with the format or whether it can be a star maker once again. However it’s never gonna happen on the Voice, sadly.
Side note, very keen for the return of Idol!

I think how it’s celebrated is different.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but in the US a 21st is typically celebrated at a bar with a few friends for - as you mentioned - the purpose of being able to legally buy and consume alcohol for the first time. But in Australia it’s considered more of a “sophisticated” milestone, often celebrated quite largely with multiple memories, anecdotes and speeches shared commemorating their life. We are gifted the “key” to life/adulthood at these events. Growing up, how many times have you heard someone say “we’ll save that one for their 21st” as they take a photo or video of you? haha. I don’t believe it’s considered the same sort of event in America.

The latter is more likely to suit if Seven modelled a potential special as BB’s 21st “birthday” celebration, rather just than an anniversary. Looking back at highlights with past HMs/hosts sharing stories.
You need to make it Theo! You know it better than anyone and you have all the footage 😝

Hey Hey has Darryl who is still as passionate for the show as he ever was which is why specials and reunions keep popping up. Heck he has even made an on demand streaming website with Hey Hey footage.

I don’t think BB has a Darryl advocating for it :-(

I think you summed it up right. I think mainly the whole 21st thing is a bit of an after thought as they just happened to miss the 20th anniversary lol.
21 kind of makes sense. I assume Australia is the same as NZ that 21st birthday is a bigger event than the 20th Birthday?
And when it comes to anniversaries it is often the 25th that is celebrated, and the realistic chances of BB being on air in another four years time? Slim to none. So this seems the time.

2 Seasons of BB
2 Seasons of The Voice
2 Seasons of SAS

What makes no sense is their supposed three year programming strategy was axing MKR and House Rules in 2021 then bringing them back for 2022. I don't get how they've gone so quickly from formats milked out over months to formats rushed through in weeks so that as soon as one comes along all they care about is promoting the next. If everything they've announced makes it to air they've got about 10 formats to squeeze in between February and November, along with the Winter Olympics and Commonwealth Games.

How many episodes did BB clock in at after this year?

Last edited:
What makes no sense is their supposed three year programming strategy was axing MKR and House Rules in 2021 then bringing them back for 2022. I don't get how they've gone so quickly from formats milked out over months to formats rushed through in weeks so that as soon as one comes along all they care about is promoting the next.

How many episodes did BB clock in at after this year?
31 Eps including the finale for the 2021 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back