Skip to main content

Big Brother 21 (US)

beardymac

john might've been the walrus, but paul was a cat
Launched today.

Cast features a bargain-store Jason Momoa, a real-life LEGO man, an absolute Baddie (Analyse, an unfortunate name considering one houseguest last year gave the answer "ANAL LICE" during a word-scramble competition), and a plus size model who refuses to have her age known, instead being listed as "30ish".

House is possibly the ugliest fustercluck you'll ever see, it seriously looks like a tornado has ripped through it, and the annual hide-the-veto competition will only make this even worse.

Should still make for a good couple of months of entertainment, barring Grodhog bringing in another vet she'll attempt to hand the game to.

Not much to write home about so far. Cast seems promising but it's quickly reverted to type with a massive alliance controlled by a couple of Jocks - or Jacks to be more precise.

I thought the premiere episodes were week. The first part seemed to have no content and was over before it began, whilst the "banishment" and eviction in part two was just poor. Would much rather they just did as they used to do and let the first week proper play out over five episodes rather than three by having the premiere end with the HoH and then the nominations in episode 2 and the Veto split out over episode 3 & 4.

There new twist is the "Whactivity Comp" - which despite already taking place nobody really knows what it is. They seem to have kept the feeds spoiler free, so presumably it's won in secret and the prize is secret. Since the Have Not comps were axed they've had several comps for the Sunday show - don't think they've bettered Battle of the Block really (two sets of nominees, one set saved themselves). I didn't mind the Roadkill (secretly nominate a third nominee) and Temptation (winner got immunity, loser nominated, but not compulsory to play) and the Hacker comp (replace a nominee and nullify a vote) last year but all were only used for about three weeks so never really went anywhere. Battle of the Block worked because they used it for the majority of the season in BB16, and then actually bought it back (less successfully) in BB17.

I feel like by the second iteration of Battle of the Block, it had too frequently turned into "one pawn throw the BotB comp so we can get a certain person out / backdoored".

I think the Whactivity comp will probably be some sort of Temptation / Care Package advantage rolled into a competition. Interested to see what gets added to the game, but power is often kind of moot in the first four weeks given the Battleback & the target it can paint on a person's back.

Well it was a power, which this week was the "Nightmare" - after the nominations (but not the Veto) you could wake the house in the middle of the night and secretly save the nominees, forcing the HoH to name two replacements. It's valid for six weeks and won by...

Ovi. Who then got nominated as a replacement in the Veto, stupidly outed his power and got voted out of the game.

However, this year's big twist is players voted out of the game are not voted out of the house. Instead they live in "Camp Comeback", and after 4 weeks one will re-enter the game.

However with racism a major early concern of the live feed viewers, and sadly back at the forefront since the new HoH came to power and David returned, Camp Comeback looks like it's in danger of becoming a ghetto for people of colour.

Well it was a power, which this week was the "Nightmare" - after the nominations (but not the Veto) you could wake the house in the middle of the night and secretly save the nominees, forcing the HoH to name two replacements. It's valid for six weeks and won by...

Ovi. Who then got nominated as a replacement in the Veto, stupidly outed his power and got voted out of the game.

However, this year's big twist is players voted out of the game are not voted out of the house. Instead they live in "Camp Comeback", and after 4 weeks one will re-enter the game.

However with racism a major early concern of the live feed viewers, and sadly back at the forefront since the new HoH came to power and David returned, Camp Comeback looks like it's in danger of becoming a ghetto for people of colour.

Twist sounds interesting enough but sadly not enough to get me to watch this series... Until there’s a major creative shake up I can’t see there being any reason to give BBUS and to an extent BBCAN any more attention than just a quick skim of a couple of forum posts. To be honest I really don’t expect much... Getting rid of Robyn Kass at very least would be enough.

Been catching some of the feeds here and there. This crop have turned out to be a bit of a nasty bunch, despite the broadcast suggesting otherwise. This is why I wish we still had AU feeds on the Nine reboot. Get to see what everyone's really like.

Michie is going to be this season's Cody, I can guarantee it. I bet you casting picked him because he looks and acts so much like him.

The girls yet again self destructing by playing the guys game. This series not really kicking into gear yet after the best season in years last year, but was the number one show on US network TV last night whilst Love Island finished 4th in it's slot.

The girls yet again self destructing by playing the guys game. This series not really kicking into gear yet after the best season in years last year, but was the number one show on US network TV last night whilst Love Island finished 4th in it's slot.

Loving that Love Island is taking a back seat to BB...

You wouldn't know it from the promos.

Well of course CBS are going to promote the shit out of it... They’ve spent a ton of money on it and it’s taking up a massive chunk of their schedule. Also given that Love Island wasn’t a breakaway hit in the UK when it first started there’s still hope that it will catch on.

It's been consistent so far - down a bit on Friday but otherwise around the 2.6m viewer mark, though it's the 0.5 rating which killed it. BB is around a 1.0/1.1 - good enough for a summer show, though not that long ago 2.0 was thougt to be the bench mark, but that might be more with in-season shows.

It's been consistent so far - down a bit on Friday but otherwise around the 2.6m viewer mark, though it's the 0.5 rating which killed it. BB is around a 1.0/1.1 - good enough for a summer show, though not that long ago 2.0 was thougt to be the bench mark, but that might be more with in-season shows.

Wouldn’t be shocked if CBS brought in a new creative team for a second series like they did BB. Or there were some changes in the format so that it wasn’t so close to other formats... They do seem to be in it for the long haul.

"Big Brother On an Island" then.

I think CBS bought it basically so nobody else did, so it'll be a risk axing it if there is potential for it to be picked up, though possible it could still go to CW - I think Supergirl moved from CBS to CW a few years back. Love Island down to 2.11m viewers though on Monday. By comparison three episodes in the UK last week topped 6m viewers - and that's higher than most regular eps of Big Brother other than BB3.

Looks like the season might kick into gear tonight. On last nights episode they finally showed some of the nastiness in the house - but none of the racism, purely focusing on how the big alliance were treating Nicole, and arguably only showing it because it directly affected gameplay.

To summarise two of the Gr8Ful Alliance (Analyse and Holly I think) went and told Nicole that Nick and Bella were basically bullies, Nicole reported this back to Bella who reported it back to Nick, and both seemed to believe it. It was then denied by Analyse and Holly, spun that Nicole had branded them bullies (in a big meeting featuring all of Gr8Ful+Sam with anyone outside the alliance turned away from the HoH room) and Nicole was then public enemy number one and ultimately the replacement nominee after the Veto ceremony.

Since then though...
The core six of the Gr8Ful alliance who were planning to turn on Nick and Bella ahead of the HoH have opted to vote to keep Nicole over Cliff, blindsiding not just the nominees plus Nick and Bella too. The rest of the house expect Nicole to be evicted too so it's assumed they will "vote with the house". This is all intended to piss off Nick and Bella to the maximum.

Meanwhile though Nick has finally seen the light that Nicole was telling the truth, though not sure how that'll affect the voting.
In addition too whoevert is evicted will compete against the three current members of Camp Comeback to earn one spot back in the house. And the way this season has panned out fully expect the white guy to take the spot over the houseguests of colour.

Back