Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 Wishlist

Do you agree with my "back to basics" Big Brother Australia formula for 2020?

• Yes.

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No.

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
The audience getting to nominate the three people for eviction though up and down voting online. One of the three up for eviction then get voted off by the people in the house. That would keep with the plus and minus theme of the logo. Would need to be not pre recorded way in advance to work, but wouldn't have to be live shows.

The three up for eviction would be those closest to zero as they are the blandest.

They did that at the beginning of BB08 with the audience choosing the three nominees and it just didn't work as it took the drama of nominations out of the house.

Nominations and evictions are the core element of Big Brother and they need to play out on the show, so it doesn't matter too much if the nominees are as a result of one person or the whole house choosing them, and indeed viewers can be part of that process too - occassionally in the US viewers would choose a 3rd nominee, which is the route I'd go down with Australia.

Personally for Australia I'd go with a hybrid format slightly different to the Brazilian one where the HoH nominates two people, the viewers choose a third nominee. The Veto then plays out and then the viewers save one of the final three nominees, with the housemates then voting from the remaining two who goes. That IMO gives you the best of both worlds.

The three up for eviction would be those closest to zero as they are the blandest.
Whilst in theory it's a good idea to get rid of the blandest in reality all that does is make for bland evictions viewers don't really care about and a house that doesn't see much change, if any, in dynamics, with each eviction.

Yes, voting out the biggest characters has it's obvious issues but having the big players up for eviction engages the audience into caring about the outcome on eviction night and it means the series evolves over the series as some dominating characters, both in terms of their airtime and their presence, get voted out and the dynamics in the house change, often allowing those quieter "blanded" housemates to come out of their shell and to the forefront and prove why they were in there in the first place.

People who are wishing for a full suite of Big Brother spin off shows like Friday night live, up-late, etc need to realize that these days most of us are a lot more busier than back in the channel ten era and do not have the time to commit. Think SUV driving soccer moms who need to take their three little angels to their three extra curricular activities as well as work full time and clean the house all while maintaining their own social life.

Yes, I think the days of multiple spin-offs are over - but usually there is adequate online content to make up for it. Uplate could still exist though as it's always been an optional extra. It could actually survive in a pre-recorded scenario, just offering 2-3 hours of "as live" content.

People who are wishing for a full suite of Big Brother spin off shows like Friday night live, up-late, etc need to realize that these days most of us are a lot more busier than back in the channel ten era and do not have the time to commit. Think SUV driving soccer moms who need to take their three little angels to their three extra curricular activities as well as work full time and clean the house all while maintaining their own social life.
The key here is that people ARE still wishing for it - and saying so on social media.

And "most of us" by whose definition ?

All i wish for now is the following from BBAU 2020:

Sunday = live eviction with housemates voting each other out.
Monday to Thursday = Prerecorded daily show @ 07 30 PM.
Friday = Prerecorded up late show after the AFL @ 10 30 PM.

What do you think Brotherhood ?

Sunday = live eviction with housemates voting each other out.
The Ch10 daily shows were "pre-recorded". That's what a daily show is, a recap of the previous days events.

As for voting, keep it in the public realm please.

Uplate can be run every night, depends how much content there is I guess.

Personally for Australia I'd go with a hybrid format slightly different to the Brazilian one where the HoH nominates two people, the viewers choose a third nominee. The Veto then plays out and then the viewers save one of the final three nominees, with the housemates then voting from the remaining two who goes. That IMO gives you the best of both worlds.

I was thinking a very similar format but have the HOH choose three people to put up, this way it doesn't get too complicated. The public then vote to save. The housemates then choose to evict from the remaining two. But i don't know if HOH choosing three people would be to much.

They did that at the beginning of BB08 with the audience choosing the three nominees and it just didn't work as it took the drama of nominations out of the house.

Nominations and evictions are the core element of Big Brother and they need to play out on the show, so it doesn't matter too much if the nominees are as a result of one person or the whole house choosing them, and indeed viewers can be part of that process too - occassionally in the US viewers would choose a 3rd nominee, which is the route I'd go down with Australia.

Ahh ok never watched bb08. Was trying to run the best scenario I could think based on what we have heard for next year. And I was thinking the blandest purely because the two years we rate often rate the lowest, 2002 and 2014, had very bland people win those years rather than bigger characters so I guess I was just wanting to avoid that somehow, but totally get what you are saying.

Back