Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 Wishlist

Do you agree with my "back to basics" Big Brother Australia formula for 2020?

• Yes.

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No.

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
In the US version on air you rarely if ever heard the "voice of Big Brother". If you watch the US live feeds, they typically just had pre-recored messages, or they would cut the live feeds and just yell out instructions to the houseguests. And the houseguests would alway refer to the production team, not as Big Brother, but as "them" or "they" or "production" or at times they would even use the specific names of staff members.

Yeah I found that a bit strange with the clips i've watched myself. I recall watching a clip of one girl repeatedly breaking the rules and going on to have someone get her microphone before chucking it in the pool. There was no "this is Big Brother" it was like "oh its Allison".

As an Aussie, i've only watched all of AU and a majority of UK seasons, and yeah there is a curiosity about the person matching the voice, but in BBAU from early days to 2014, we *did* get to meet the main ones and even then, they usually had a certain voice to distinguish themselves as BB vs themselves.

While I agree that in an ideal world it would be great to have the OG format back, I think it's important to be realistic in remembering that the landscape of reality TV, especially in Australia, has changed drastically since Nine had Big Brother, let alone the "good old days" at Ten.

Sadly live TV almost never happens anymore. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that a show like Big Brother works best when it's live - primarily referring to live evictions etc, especially as they're also when we were often given the most memorable moments - but reality TV very rarely has "event TV" like that anymore. I struggle to think of a current reality show in Aus with episodes that go to air truly live at all - and arguably, it's because of Big Brother that we no longer do.

When we had those "big event Sunday shows" we also didn't have social media, and technology and our access to other forms of entertainment wasn't as accessible. I just think it's important for viewers to understand the mainstream shift and evolve with it too. 2 million people aren't going to tune in to watch a reality show finale like they used to, it just doesn't happen anymore.

I do think Seven's new iteration must at least be broadcast at the same time the HM's are living in the house, certainly incorporate viewer interaction or influence via an app or something, but sometimes we need to lose some to gain some.

I disagree, if you make it appealing enough people will watch in huge numbers. Just look at Married at First Sight which had 2.6 million watching the finale this year or the Block last year which had 2.3 million watching the finale. The one thing those shows have in common is that they didn't shy away from drama and controversy which is sadly what's needed these days to get people watching.

While I agree that in an ideal world it would be great to have the OG format back, I think it's important to be realistic in remembering that the landscape of reality TV, especially in Australia, has changed drastically since Nine had Big Brother, let alone the "good old days" at Ten.

Sadly live TV almost never happens anymore. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that a show like Big Brother works best when it's live - primarily referring to live evictions etc, especially as they're also when we were often given the most memorable moments - but reality TV very rarely has "event TV" like that anymore. I struggle to think of a current reality show in Aus with episodes that go to air truly live at all - and arguably, it's because of Big Brother that we no longer do.

When we had those "big event Sunday shows" we also didn't have social media, and technology and our access to other forms of entertainment wasn't as accessible. I just think it's important for viewers to understand the mainstream shift and evolve with it too. 2 million people aren't going to tune in to watch a reality show finale like they used to, it just doesn't happen anymore.

I do think Seven's new iteration must at least be broadcast at the same time the HM's are living in the house, certainly incorporate viewer interaction or influence via an app or something, but sometimes we need to lose some to gain some.

Glad you agree that BB works best live...

But I personally dont see how it could be pre-recorded, especially in the age of social media.

Do they get the audience to sign non disclosures? Someone will say "fuck that". Do they film multiple winners and show the actual winner on the night? Possibly, but the responses wont be genuine.

Not to mention other reality TV shows which run much shorter often require someone evicted/eliminated to stay in hiding and I could see many HM's disagreeing with that, especially if it were to run the length of a series.

Hopefully Ch7 realise they are the shows last chance and will deal with that accordingly.

Considering how much the UpFronts are now aimed at demonstrating how many different platforms they can reach with content (freetoair, smartphone, desktop, STB/TV streaming), it seems a LOST opportunity to not make BB as intended, so we all get to 'peer in' to the house and see what's going on. That aspect for me is very engaging, and I'm sure it is for many.

When I think of how we struggled with 3 phones and poor quality streams, I cry to think we're not taking advantage of the HUGE advances that would REALLY make that work today.

I've seen an article about sellers & buyers at Cannes realizing that they may NOT be able to beat big streaming, but LIVE content seems to give the uptick on eyeballs. I'm just worried that networks here in AU can't see that Live does not JUST equal sports.

/rant

Glad you agree that BB works best live...

But I personally dont see how it could be pre-recorded, especially in the age of social media.

Do they get the audience to sign non disclosures? Someone will say "fuck that". Do they film multiple winners and show the actual winner on the night? Possibly, but the responses wont be genuine.

If they are going down the pre-recorded route there won’t be an audience. There won’t be a host. It will probably have the housemates narrating the story from the diary room. There will be no eviction interview. Maybe instead there will be a typical reality show elimination with the contestant briefly talking at the end to the camera. All the LIVE elements of Big Brother would be taken away. The LIVE factor was always a big draw to Big Brother for me. It doesn’t feel like Big Brother to me if it is going to be pre-recorded.

Considering how much the UpFronts are now aimed at demonstrating how many different platforms they can reach with content (freetoair, smartphone, desktop, STB/TV streaming), it seems a LOST opportunity to not make BB as intended, so we all get to 'peer in' to the house and see what's going on. That aspect for me is very engaging, and I'm sure it is for many.

When I think of how we struggled with 3 phones and poor quality streams, I cry to think we're not taking advantage of the HUGE advances that would REALLY make that work today.

I've seen an article about sellers & buyers at Cannes realizing that they may NOT be able to beat big streaming, but LIVE content seems to give the uptick on eyeballs. I'm just worried that networks here in AU can't see that Live does not JUST equal sports.

/rant
THIS!!!!

BB in Australia in 2020 could and should be the BB of our dreams with the technology now available that wasn't available in 2001. The ability to watch multiple cameras online, and live polling, the fans who pay a premium to see it all could truly be playing the role of BIG BROTHER and be totally influencing what is is going on TV. It could be the ultimate in social experiments of not only the people in the house but the audience as well.

There could still be the chance for it to be a mix of strategy and us having a say in who wins. Have head of Household nominate one, house nominate one, and the audience decide, like BB Africa revolution concept.

This situation actually seems pretty unique to Australia. Elsewhere live TV has actually taken on more importance in the era of streaming in order to get people watching live and therefore watching the ads and engaging in real time with social media, something the streamers can't do. Most shows in the 7.30 slot in Australia have no need to be watched live at all, and Big Brother being pre-recorded just adds that show to the list not worth watching live.

If they are going down the pre-recorded route there won’t be an audience. There won’t be a host. It will probably have the housemates narrating the story from the diary room. There will be no eviction interview. Maybe instead there will be a typical reality show elimination with the contestant briefly talking at the end to the camera. All the LIVE elements of Big Brother would be taken away. The LIVE factor was always a big draw to Big Brother for me. It doesn’t feel like Big Brother to me if it is going to be pre-recorded.

Agreed. However I could see them have an audience for the final, but they would likely film different outcomes.

I want more housemates like Perry from 2006. If the cast was just 14 Perrys, that would honestly make for the best season we've had in a long time.

Why was Perry so good? I never watched that season.
She was seen as quite maternal as soon as she entered the house which she shot down immediately saying "I'm not going to be your mum", she spoke with so much conviction to everyone in there, 2006 overall was a bit of a fake season and when Perry was dropped in there as an intruder it immediately fucked with the dynamic in a faaaabulous way because she was just herself 100%, she saw through David's game pretty much immediately and was a brilliant judge of character. She also wore stilettos in the shower.

I'd quite like her as the host of BB too, she wouldve been a perfect takeover for gretski. I'll try and find an episode where she's at her best/ her best bits from her eviction.

She was seen as quite maternal as soon as she entered the house which she shot down immediately saying "I'm not going to be your mum", she spoke with so much conviction to everyone in there, 2006 overall was a bit of a fake season and when Perry was dropped in there as an intruder it immediately fucked with the dynamic in a faaaabulous way because she was just herself 100%, she saw through David's game pretty much immediately and was a brilliant judge of character. She also wore stilettos in the shower.

I'd quite like her as the host of BB too, she wouldve been a perfect takeover for gretski. I'll try and find an episode where she's at her best/ her best bits from her eviction.

She certainly seems like quite the character.

I want more housemates like Perry from 2006. If the cast was just 14 Perrys, that would honestly make for the best season we've had in a long time.

My only memory of her is when she was telling the housemates how old she was she said "(something) plus GST". Other then that I have no memory of anything she did in those 18 days she was in there.

This 10000%. I think the main thing that will make or break this new season will be if production tells them how to act or what to say, which is what really separated me from the US/CAN versions, a lot of it felt unauthentic and over dramatised. I want BBAU to keep that feeling that housemates are alone with just the voice of big brother, where it FEELS like a social experiment, not a social "competition".

I fear that if they do prerecord this season, not only do we lose those live connections we did previously with the house knowing they are living in the moment, but we also lose that feeling of authenticity in the house. I don't care about who the host is, where the house is or what type of gameplay BBAU falls under, I just wish for it to be live and have minimal producer manipulation (As difficult as that is).
Well Im not sure if you completely understood. I wasnt indicating the producers are actively manipulating the players. I was just indicating the US version lacks the Voice of Big Brother thats used on air int he UK and AU versions. Especially in the edited episodes. They almost never will play out the a voice of Big Brother even the precorded instructions or warnings. "STOP THAT",
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT PRODUCTION,
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT YOUR DIARY SESSIONS WITH OTHER HOUSEGUESTS,
KEMI PLEASE READJUST YOUR MICROPHONE, KEMI PLEASE GO TO THE DIARY ROOM,
HOUSE GUESTS THE BACKYARD WILL BE CLOSED IN 30 MINS,
HOUSEGUESTS BIG BROTHER LOVES YOU,
HOUSEGUESTS THESE ARE THE BEST DAYS YOUR LIFE. Those instructions are usually heard on the live feeds and such. Never on air. If they need more complex instructions, such as at the begiining of a live show or something, the producers will just talk over the speaker and tell them what to do and where to go. Or to watch their language on live television. In Canada if the language gets too graphic or saucy...even on the live feeds the house guest hear...HOUSEGUESTS CANADA IS WATCHING.

I also think there is a misconception that the shows are all gameplay thats not true. They do talk about their lives and other things. They dont talk strategy 100 percent. Also there are only 2 edited shows and 1 live episode, but they are stream hours of live content on POPTV. Its branded as BBAD. Big Brother After Dark. Its on a cable channel so they swear and stuff.

Agreed. However I could see them have an audience for the final, but they would likely film different outcomes.
What they could do is a spin-off where the host can interview the evictee, either filmed around the time it's made or when it is broadcast. Not the same at all though.

I don't think they'll have an audience at all - and maybe not even a set. Possible the host (if they have one) will actually go into the house to communicate with housemates.

Mike Goldman seems to have gone pretty quiet so I'm guessing he's not been asked back.

Back