Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 Wishlist

Do you agree with my "back to basics" Big Brother Australia formula for 2020?

• Yes.

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No.

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
I’m worried we’re getting a Clayton’s BB. The Bb you have when you’re not having BB.
Does anyone else remember this drink?
5FA4C406-D51B-4306-9841-DEE0426FC041.jpeg

I’m worried we’re getting a Clayton’s BB. The Bb you have when you’re not having BB.

I'm a BBAU fan myself, and I sat through the last series of BBUK (as filthy-mouthed as it was). So, I have a lot of respect for the international format. However, the North American method of eviction can still work if:

1. There's an interesting weekly task involved
2. The Deputy Big Brother (arguably Leon Murray) interacts regularly with the HMs to keep things interesting
3. It's executed correctly
4. There are enough twists to keep things interesting

If we don't have a Big Brother voice like the US doesn't then I'll be heavily disappointed as well
There are elements of the show I just don't believe they'd be silly enough to get rid of here in Australia, no matter how much they change the format - one of them being the BB voice.

It's also used in Ch7's new promo, so I doubt it's going anywhere.

There are elements of the show I just don't believe they'd be silly enough to get rid of here in Australia, no matter how much they change the format - one of them being the BB voice.

It's also used in Ch7's new promo, so I doubt it's going anywhere.

The only thing in that promo vid that gave me the slightest parts of hope were the use of the voice and also the use of the eye and cameras. This still may hopefully suggest that the social experiment aspect of the show is potentially being emphasised.

For me, its not that I am so much against the format/structure of the US adaption of Big Brother, its more so I don't want the show to be so heavily focused on strategy and gameplay rather than the housemates interacting with each other. If we could at least have Sunday-Thursday/Friday daily shows with weekly live evictions then I don't mind the format itself. What will disappoint me is if the daily shows are 45-70 minutes Worth of gameplay and strategy talk amongst the housemates.

Having survived the Surly the Talking Fish et al years, I believe I can handle anything...

But if Alex M is involved in any way, shape or form, that's it, I'm not watching the freaking thing. That is of course an empty threat, ha - but please, in the name of sweet baby Jesus, if anyone from Endemol etc is reading these forums, do not go in that direction, please!

My number one wish list entry is: I want Gretel back as host. That is all.

Just one thing now - film it live. If you're not, don't bother.
This.
My number one wish list entry is: I want Gretel back as host.
That's my #2 wish after the above.
But if Alex M is involved in any way, shape or form, that's it, I'm not watching the freaking thing. That is of course an empty threat
Haha totally agree. We'll watch even though we are quietly seething.

And indeed, if BB airs in Feb it'll be running directly against I'm A Celeb.
If BB airs in August it will most likely be against Love Island Australia which he is the EP of, unless of course it gets the axe after this season or goes back to 9GO

Reactions: kxk
Speaking as a BBUSA viewer one of things that I appreciated about BBAU and to a lesser extent BBUK is the "character" of Big Brother. The US version has basically erased that mythical idea of a singular person watching and manipulating this social experiment. I loved hearing the" voice" of Big Brother AU guiding and directing things. In BBUK, the announcer would always say: "Housemates, This is Big Brother..." In the US version on air you rarely if ever heard the "voice of Big Brother". If you watch the US live feeds, they typically just had pre-recored messages, or they would cut the live feeds and just yell out instructions to the houseguests. And the houseguests would alway refer to the production team, not as Big Brother, but as "them" or "they" or "production" or at times they would even use the specific names of staff members. I always hated that, because it seemed like they were breaking an unsaid barrier. I loved that about BBAU and BBUK.
Just one of several problems I have with FLY ON THE WALL, the production team that makes Big Brother for CBS. I love the show and hate how the same production team has become stale with the format and everything else. Especially when compared with what INSIGHT, the team that makes BBCAN for GLOBAL television network in Canada, has done with the format on an extremely tight budget. CBS is a massive network, but it never fails to disappoint in recent years. The production design has completely stopped in its tracks. I've always said its a youthful show that is made by old people.

Speaking as a BBUSA viewer one of things that I appreciated about BBAU and to a lesser extent BBUK is the "character" of Big Brother. The US version has basically erased that mythical idea of a singular person watching and manipulating this social experiment. I loved hearing the" voice" of Big Brother AU guiding and directing things. In BBUK, the announcer would always say: "Housemates, This is Big Brother..." In the US version on air you rarely if ever heard the "voice of Big Brother". If you watch the US live feeds, they typically just had pre-recored messages, or they would cut the live feeds and just yell out instructions to the houseguests. And the houseguests would alway refer to the production team, not as Big Brother, but as "them" or "they" or "production" or at times they would even use the specific names of staff members. I always hated that, because it seemed like they were breaking an unsaid barrier. I loved that about BBAU and BBUK.
Just one of several problems I have with FLY ON THE WALL, the production team that makes Big Brother for CBS. I love the show and hate how the same production team has become stale with the format and everything else. Especially when compared with what INSIGHT, the team that makes BBCAN for GLOBAL television network in Canada, has done with the format on an extremely tight budget. CBS is a massive network, but it never fails to disappoint in recent years. The production design has completely stopped in its tracks. I've always said its a youthful show that is made by old people.

This 10000%. I think the main thing that will make or break this new season will be if production tells them how to act or what to say, which is what really separated me from the US/CAN versions, a lot of it felt unauthentic and over dramatised. I want BBAU to keep that feeling that housemates are alone with just the voice of big brother, where it FEELS like a social experiment, not a social "competition".

I fear that if they do prerecord this season, not only do we lose those live connections we did previously with the house knowing they are living in the moment, but we also lose that feeling of authenticity in the house. I don't care about who the host is, where the house is or what type of gameplay BBAU falls under, I just wish for it to be live and have minimal producer manipulation (As difficult as that is).

I do highly prefer the uk/aus format over the us/can, however am still a fan of us/can. Going down the strategy route for the show, i would prefer it to lean towards the canada take. It's the same format as the US, but the way they do it makes it feel like a completely different show. For me the american one feels flooded with strategy talk and no/very little focus on the social aspect of the show as well and very minimal audience inclusion. It also comes across highly edited and stiff. Canada is the opposite and does all these things, and just feels more bb, the house, the set, the vibe and has heaps of iconic housemates like Ika. The way its edited and shooted just makes it feel more open and not as blunt as the us. They do it so well, i would almost rank it against the au version. This goes to show when done correctly, the strategy route of the show can actually be a knockout. I'm kind of having faith in seven. I don't feel like they would've revived it if they didnt know what was right for the show, especially after all the controversy its been through and backlash, they wouldnt take that much of a gamble and really invest in it, it seems to be one of their highlights for 2020 and as if there focusing alot on it. Yes, all these details that are comming out may sound bad on paper, but we're not going to know how it will translate on the t.v, take canada for example. And at this stage, we don't know what to trust, yes TV Black Box was right about the revival, but alot of there new articles about bb are almost starting to contradict themselves now and not make sense/ not flow with stuff they have previously stated.

I'm kind of having faith in seven. I don't feel like they would've revived it if they didnt know what was right for the show, especially after all the controversy its been through and backlash, they wouldnt take that much of a gamble and really invest in it, it seems to be one of their highlights for 2020 and as if there focusing alot on it. [...] And at this stage, we don't know what to trust, yes TV Black Box was right about the revival, but alot of there new articles about bb are almost starting to contradict themselves now and not make sense/ not flow with stuff they have previously stated.
Honestly, yeah. I think you're right. I've actually been quite optimistic about all this since yesterday's announcement, even more so after seeing how much effort went into their Upfront video.

I'm not gonna lie, I do see this shift to the US/CA format as a positive... as long as it's done properly. Apart from the pre-recorded rumour, which I'm against, there isn't much else I can dislike about what we've heard so far. If the show is produced well, has a team behind it who knows what they're doing and they have a plan in place to ease general BBAU viewers into this "new era" (this includes combining elements of what we know and love about the original format in Aus) then next season could potentially be something great.

Here's hoping anyway.

I just want Big Brother to be LIVE. In real time. I am not a massive fan of the US format. I didn’t like what I saw with the Celeb US BB version with the way they put it together but if they can make a nice blend of the old and the new that would be good. I would hate for the whole show to only be focused on game playing and conversations around game playing.

I want a host (Gretel! Gretel! Gretel!). I want the BIG LIVE Sunday Night Evictions back. Sunday nights are a wasteland on FTA now. What happened to the big event Sunday shows?

I want a host (Gretel! Gretel! Gretel!). I want the BIG LIVE Sunday Night Evictions back. Sunday nights are a wasteland on FTA now. What happened to the big event Sunday shows?
While I agree that in an ideal world it would be great to have the OG format back, I think it's important to be realistic in remembering that the landscape of reality TV, especially in Australia, has changed drastically since Nine had Big Brother, let alone the "good old days" at Ten.

Sadly live TV almost never happens anymore. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that a show like Big Brother works best when it's live - primarily referring to live evictions etc, especially as they're also when we were often given the most memorable moments - but reality TV very rarely has "event TV" like that anymore. I struggle to think of a current reality show in Aus with episodes that go to air truly live at all - and arguably, it's because of Big Brother that we no longer do.

When we had those "big event Sunday shows" we also didn't have social media, and technology and our access to other forms of entertainment wasn't as accessible. I just think it's important for viewers to understand the mainstream shift and evolve with it too. 2 million people aren't going to tune in to watch a reality show finale like they used to, it just doesn't happen anymore.

I do think Seven's new iteration must at least be broadcast at the same time the HM's are living in the house, certainly incorporate viewer interaction or influence via an app or something, but sometimes we need to lose some to gain some.

Back