Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 Wishlist

Do you agree with my "back to basics" Big Brother Australia formula for 2020?

• Yes.

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No.

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
I would say that FNL ratings were more so to do with the entertainment factor, as well with the younger audience taking an interest as well. Most people amongst my age group born around late 1990s-2000s only really remember Big Brother because of FNL.
Thats actually perfect for 7 then. Cause they want to skew in a younger demographic. That could be a massive win for them.

I'd be happy if the week night episodes were 30 minutes with live streaming every week night , Uplate to return, but no Friday Night games, please. So naff. Put the daily shows on at a time when the kiddies have gone to bed. Gretel Killeen to host and if not Gretel some else. I like the idea of Kitty Flanagan but no Kyle and Jackie O or Sonia, much as I do like her. Voting to be held in the diary room instead of the soundproof booth idea

I've watched a few seasons of US BB and I have to say I don't mind the game play. For some of the seasons the ones who come in playing hard from the off don't seem to last very long and I don't particularly care for the casting of jocks, young muscular guys the female audience will go for. To me, they usually just seem like meatheads with not a lot to offer. I do kind of like the geeks though :)

Last edited:
Lets hope it goes back to the grass roots that worked so well at the start..Live streaming 24/7 so that we can actually get to know the housemates and not what they are edited to look like. And normal everyday people all shapes and sizes not models and beautiful people..Come on Ch 7 get it back to where we really loved BB.

Would love for spin offs like uplate/uncut to make a return, but my worry is whether viewers will commit. Back then times were different and people would happily watch these shows, now it becomes even hard to commit to something like MAFS. I think if uplate were to make a comeback maybe just 1/2 days a week. Another problem is past that 8.30-9ish point viewers just drop. BB normal slot should be rated m. they need to realise that when bb airs more adult stuff, we get to see more of the hms, and more depth to there personalities, and not just filtered, edited personalities which feel fake.

Would love for spin offs like uplate/uncut to make a return, but my worry is whether viewers will commit. Back then times were different and people would happily watch these shows, now it becomes even hard to commit to something like MAFS. I think if uplate were to make a comeback maybe just 1/2 days a week. Another problem is past that 8.30-9ish point viewers just drop. BB normal slot should be rated m. they need to realise that when bb airs more adult stuff, we get to see more of the hms, and more depth to there personalities, and not just filtered, edited personalities which feel fake.
Considering all the other things they show on reality TV now I think it makes most of uplate redundant. I think like you just show it in the normal show and if it is not appropriate for tv then you have it on the website which has a live feed ( on slight delay for monitoring) which we pay to view. (payment tiers eg one week, one month, season pass). There would still be some free videos on the website on a large delay, nothing racy but more to entice people to pay for the live feed.

I just want to see people who are confident and comfortable enough to be genuine. No playing up to the camera, no I am doing this to be a social media influencer so I want the followers, just people who want to go into a strange studio house with a bunch of strangers and live with them a bit. Even if that means people will see me get passionate and upset about a conversation that matters, even though I will have to let the country see me without make up and hair done. Just real people. And we as an audience get to know them.
That's basically all I'd like, with Gretel at the helm.

Have you guys ever thought of a hybrid season based on the final season of BBUK.

There they had a return of the classic DR nominations, tasks, etc. with small aspects of gameplay including BigCoin and the Gamechanger Competition.

Could work

I want a new theme song too, don't try to be what you were before, show us the game really has changed. Of course keep the hook but spice the rest up a bit, it's so predictable that it'll be early 2000s techno house.

Think a new theme is actually a really good call - never really rated the Aussie theme myself (it tried a bit too hard to be cool), I'd actually say replace it completely.

Live streaming though is a must. Without it you're not really bringing back Big Brother. 7 can easily monetise it too.

I'd love something like Love Island's theme song, it's one of the only redeeming qualities of watching Love Island. The Circle's theme song as inspo would also be perfect.

One important thing to remember is that there is a huge difference between the big brother enthusiasts (we the minority) and the general viewing public (them the majority). Therefore it is obvious that, in order for take 3 of big brother Australia to be successful, the needs of the general viewing public must be put first.

One important thing to remember is that there is a huge difference between the big brother enthusiasts (we the minority) and the general viewing public (them the majority). Therefore it is obvious that, in order for take 3 of big brother Australia to be successful, the needs of the general viewing public must be put first.

Look how that worked out for Nine. They thought that a family friendly version would have the broadest appeal and it was a complete failure IMO. There has to be a middle ground.

Look how that worked out for Nine. They thought that a family friendly version would have the broadest appeal and it was a complete failure IMO. There has to be a middle ground.

Agreed...Trying to appeal to everyone is a complete failure. If they appeal to BB’s core audience the rest should fall in to place easily.

Ignore the fans at your peril. That's what C5 did with BBUK - openly admitted they were targetting the casual viewer. Yes, they may have got the casual viewer, but the loyal fans walked away in their millions.

It is possible to execute the North American format in Australia effectively if they can somehow merge the two.

Sunday: Daily Show (covering the weekend)/Live Eviction (featuring Head of Household)
Monday: Daily Show (Task Part 1/Nominations)
Tuesday: Daily Show (Task Part 2)
Wednesday: Daily Show (Task Part 3/Power of Veto Comp & Ceremony)
Thursday: Daily Show (Task Part 4)/Confidential
Friday: Daily Show (Task Part 5 & Results)/Friday Night Live

That has it on six nights a week. If they can keep the tasks (which is a good part of the show for most people), they should be fine. If it devolves into a constant strategy-fest, maybe not.

As for Mike Goldman as narrator and Leon Murray as Lead Deputy Big Brother.... yes, yes, and yes! As far as host goes, why not a former Housemate like Benjamin Norris? He ticks off a lot of the boxes you'd want in a host, and he'd provide valuable insight into what goes through an HM's mind.

It is possible to execute the North American format in Australia effectively if they can somehow merge the two.

Sunday: Daily Show (covering the weekend)/Live Eviction (featuring Head of Household)
Monday: Daily Show (Task Part 1/Nominations)
Tuesday: Daily Show (Task Part 2)
Wednesday: Daily Show (Task Part 3/Power of Veto Comp & Ceremony)
Thursday: Daily Show (Task Part 4)/Confidential
Friday: Daily Show (Task Part 5 & Results)/Friday Night Live

That has it on six nights a week. If they can keep the tasks (which is a good part of the show for most people), they should be fine. If it devolves into a constant strategy-fest, maybe not.

As for Mike Goldman as narrator and Leon Murray as Lead Deputy Big Brother.... yes, yes, and yes! As far as host goes, why not a former Housemate like Benjamin Norris? He ticks off a lot of the boxes you'd want in a host, and he'd provide valuable insight into what goes through an HM's mind.

I’d be semi happy to accept that type or schedule, with 3 options.
1. If the Housemates are to vote each other out the they are still forbidden to discuss nominations and eviction votes to minimise any strategy and to focus on the social experiment.
2. The public votes for the housemate they want to evict out of the nominees made by the HOH.
3. The public get to make up one of the votes e.g 8 housemates vote and the public’s vote makes up the 9th

Thing is, here in AU, our "prime time" tv is a bit earlier than other countries. So a family friendly version will likely happen at 7-7.30pm.

I say make that the daily show, but do an "uncut" later. Uncut doesnt necessarily have to be all tits, dicks bums and vajayjay, just more adult conversation, themes and issues.

BBAU used to be like footy season, it went for ~3 months. Thats a huge test of character for the HMs being cut off for that long.

We have seen intruders make it to the final, and intruders who are voted out immediately. Do away with the intruders, and only use them as replacements if someone walks or gets booted.

Real HM's please - not bricklayer / model, or sales rep / model, or nurse / model - I want a chef who refuses to cook. I want a body builder who is tough but gets emotional. I want a person who applied to be on the show as a dare.

No re-hashing of tasks eg "get to know eachother and be tested on facts" or "two people must keep this fire lit/two people must be in this bunker" etc. Yes it brings conversations but HMs need to have tasks that really test them.

Back