Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020 Wishlist

Do you agree with my "back to basics" Big Brother Australia formula for 2020?

• Yes.

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No.

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
We know they're going to put 12-14 people (thereabout) in a house. Let's assume it's a good cast and ticks every box (a diverse range of ages, backgrounds and personalities). What next? I hope for...

- One good host. Someone new and fresh - there is plenty of talent out there. Probably female - someone who can fill that maternal role for the HMs/balance out BB, and is also a genuine fan of the show. Gretel had her time (and frankly was too sour in her final seasons).
- I think the series needs to be capped at 8-10 weeks. Make it event television, short and sharp. Audiences have less time to commit and shorter attention spans.
- 90min eviction show on Sun, 30-60 minute daily shows Mon-Thu. 60-min uncut on a Fri.
- No FNL. It was great the first time around, but I contribute it to the shows decay from S6 onward
- Integrate nominations into the daily eps. These are not event TV and do not require a standalone episode.
- What is the overall concept of the show? Human experience, gameplay or a combination of the two? I'm okay with gameplay as long as it doesn't compromise housemate relationships.
- Weekly/daily challenges are a must. I think the UK was always great at this - they always incited comedy and/or drama.
- Limit the amount of sponsorship and promotional interference. I'm sure there will be some level of product placement/brand integration, but please try and minimise the tackiness
- ZERO outside interference. I'm okay with Intruders when justified (e.g. replacing quitters , a mid-season shakeup or a reasonable twist)
- Don't try and market everything as a twist because it undermines genuine event episodes

Reactions: Xai
No reason why BBAU can't be:
BB Daily Show: Sunday to Friday at 7pm following the news
BB Up Late: Sunday to Thursday at 9.30pm/10pm/10.30pm (wherever the network feels it needs))
BB Eviction: Sunday at 7.30pm
BB Nominations: Monday at 7.30pm
BB Thursday Night Games: Thursday at 7.30pm

Plus live streams and companion shows if they feel they can milk the content and get good ratings.
Only if you really want a kiddy friendly version again.

Just because the show arguably needs a change doesn't necessarily mean the eviction/nomination style of the show has to change. I personally really liked the Big Coin use in the final series of BBUK, I do feel it could have been utilised a lot differently like more allowing housemates to buy privileges and not so much impacting nominations. I didn't mind Benjamin Norris' suggestion of the love island style use of mobile phones (of course no access to social media and internet). But all in all just want to see people in a house living with each other and being voted off each week by the public.

Live stream
Uncut and up late.
good challenges-like uk bb.
no talking fish and shit like that.
Channel 10 era hms. Majority of cast over 30. They have so much better stories and those from the original era would now be that age. The convos in the channel 9 era were so shallow!!
No social media influencers

Meanwhile, lets be realistic about what is the best program template for big brother in 2020, and keep things nice and simple:

1) Eviction show - 60 Minute live episode of Big Brother airing every Sunday night from 8 00 PM to 9 00 PM with housemates voting each other out.
2) Daily show - 60 Minute prerecorded episode of Big Brother airing every weeknight Monday to Friday from 8 00 PM to 9 00 PM with no silly twists.

Regarding scheduling, consistency from night to night and from week to week is a must or people will just stop watching, and should big brother clash with another important show like the live football games then i wouldn't mind the relevant episode being screened on one of that particular stations multi-channels providing the times were the same as normal and viewers were given a heads up the day before.

Regarding live feeds, in this day and age with the current political climate around sexual harassment and all the allegations of sexual assault arising in the wake of me too, maybe it is better if the production company doesn't run the risk of being sued should something bad happen during a live feed and housemate evictions can be a check on excessive producer manipulation to counter the loss of live feeds.

Thoughts?

Meanwhile, lets be realistic about what is the best program template for big brother in 2020, and keep things nice and simple:

1) Eviction show - 60 Minute live episode of Big Brother airing every Sunday night from 8 00 PM to 9 00 PM with housemates voting each other out.
2) Daily show - 60 Minute prerecorded episode of Big Brother airing every weeknight Monday to Friday from 8 00 PM to 9 00 PM with no silly twists.

Regarding scheduling, consistency from night to night and from week to week is a must or people will just stop watching, and should big brother clash with another important show like the live football games then i wouldn't mind the relevant episode being screened on one of that particular stations multi-channels providing the times were the same as normal and viewers were given a heads up the day before.

Regarding live feeds, in this day and age with the current political climate around sexual harassment and all the allegations of sexual assault arising in the wake of me too, maybe it is better if the production company doesn't run the risk of being sued should something bad happen during a live feed and housemate evictions can be a check on excessive producer manipulation to counter the loss of live feeds.

Thoughts?

The live-feed issue can be easily solved by having the feeds on a delay and screened before they go out.

In terms of any misconduct that’s also solved by not allowing excessive alcohol consumption and casting people who actually have more than a handful of connected brain cells.

(1) An online stream from the house. 100% no cutting, no nothing. STREAM.
(2) Return of an adults only version of the show, preferably every day or two days to avoid packing it all into one controversial show.
(3) Return of Gretel!
(4) Just let the format sit - don't feel the need to constantly *️twist*️ it. A return to basics would be well received in the current TV climate.
(5) Older housemates. Not 20 year olds. The audience has grown up.

Leon Murray coming back to be the voice of big brother and Mike Goldman coming back to be the narrator of Big Brother are two of my highest priority items on the 2020 Big Brother wish list.

Leon Murray coming back to be the voice of big brother and Mike Goldman coming back to be the narrator of Big Brother are two of my highest priority items on the 2020 Big Brother wish list.

tumblr_p2h91qybKU1wqfv6fo2_500.gif

I just want to see people who are confident and comfortable enough to be genuine. No playing up to the camera, no I am doing this to be a social media influencer so I want the followers, just people who want to go into a strange studio house with a bunch of strangers and live with them a bit. Even if that means people will see me get passionate and upset about a conversation that matters, even though I will have to let the country see me without make up and hair done. Just real people. And we as an audience get to know them.

I wouldnt really be a fan of a later time slot like 8:30 as it kind of pushes the show aside and kind of sending a message to the fans that big brother is a side show and the channel isn't serious about it. Look at channel 9's last series for example it was pushed aside to after the block and no one bothered to watch it. I do agree that adding elements such as the big coin/ game changer element could be really beneficial as although bb is a social experiment, strategy and social can really complement each other when done well. Interestingly if you look at bb 2008's season the highest ratings actually came from FNL. I do think that they should invest in it.

I think Kitty Flanagan would be best for host. She is professional on the mic and is easy. Look at the difference between gretel and sonia. Gretel was easy on the mic and it didnt even feel like she was reading an autocue. You kind of felt on edge with sonia and they filtered her personality badly. The show needs someone with an funny, easygoing personality, but isn't 'family friendly', 'all sunshine and rainbows' like sonia. I reckon it would be good to get someone like joel creasy as a co-host, he could do FNL, or uplate, kind of like rylan.. I know chrissie been thrown around but she doesn't have that x-rated edge of someone like kitty or gretel and to me seems to family friendly... the host really plays a big role in the potrayal of the show, and they need to get it right..

I wouldnt really be a fan of a later time slot like 8:30 as it kind of pushes the show aside and kind of sending a message to the fans that big brother is a side show and the channel isn't serious about it. Look at channel 9's last series for example it was pushed aside to after the block and no one bothered to watch it. I do agree that adding elements such as the big coin/ game changer element could be really beneficial as although bb is a social experiment, strategy and social can really complement each other when done well. Interestingly if you look at bb 2008's season the highest ratings actually came from FNL. I do think that they should invest in it.

I would say that FNL ratings were more so to do with the entertainment factor, as well with the younger audience taking an interest as well. Most people amongst my age group born around late 1990s-2000s only really remember Big Brother because of FNL.

Back