Skip to main content

Big Brother 2020: Housemates

A couple things:
- she’s right there is no trans narrative in this country - there has been a trans person on big brother Australia - tens cross promo of the show “There’s Something About Miriam” which was a dating show like the bachelorette with a trans woman and men who didn’t know she was trans until later on. Like let that sink in that that’s where we have been as a society, that’s fucking disgusting.
- she would probably make great tv because she’s a train wreck
- she’s not the best person to represent her community, as she’s coming across as bratty self entitled and has zero self awareness

Agreed... Looks like a great way to ensure you're on Endemol Shine's blacklist.

Introducing your next Big Brother housemate, Kieran. This 21-year-old from Adelaide is prepared to win at any cost. #BBAU, this June on
Channel 7
99293299_259285625478545_2144034110656479232_o.jpg

At the rate Seven have been going with HM reveals we'll likely have more than just 50% of the cast before the launch... I think our favourite wannabe journalist was just looking for us to bask in his inflated ego the other day.

It’s looking to me that they’ve largely followed a safe casting choice by getting a number of housemates that have a following, none of whom are particularly interesting. Angela looks to be the most interesting to date, and is the only one without some pre-established fan base. I wouldn’t be surprised if this season flops based on casting alone and would be extremely disappointed that Endemol refused to take a risk.

It’s looking to me that they’ve largely followed a safe casting choice by getting a number of housemates that have a following, none of whom are particularly interesting. Angela looks to be the most interesting to date, and is the only one without some pre-established fan base. I wouldn’t be surprised if this season flops based on casting alone and would be extremely disappointed that Endemol refused to take a risk.

Seven actually have more control over the series than Endemol do... The network always have the final say when it comes to deciding twists, casting, and scheduling etc.

Also casting can't be any worse than it was on Nine. If anything this seems to be a slight improvement.

There’s no “right or wrong” transgender person to represent a community, and it’s incredibly wrong to make that decision.

The Australian transgender community is one of the most disadvantaged in the country, I think it would have been so powerful for 7 to really show Australians what *actual* challenges a person transitioning faces everyday like HRT, Vocal Training and pain associated with a transition. Use the format for what it was designed for, I still maintain that David Graham from 2006 helped the normalisation of homosexuality in our country.

I don’t count Miriam as she was only a guest for a few days which was very normal for them to have (Anoushka and Nadia from BBUK also spent a couple nights in the house on the pre/succeeding years)

There’s no “right or wrong” transgender person to represent a community, and it’s incredibly wrong to make that decision.

The Australian transgender community is one of the most disadvantaged in the country, I think it would have been so powerful for 7 to really show Australians what *️actual*️ challenges a person transitioning faces everyday like HRT, Vocal Training and pain associated with a transition. Use the format for what it was designed for, I still maintain that David Graham from 2006 helped the normalisation of homosexuality in our country.

I don’t count Miriam as she was only a guest for a few days which was very normal for them to have (Anoushka and Nadia from BBUK also spent a couple nights in the house on the pre/succeeding years)

Anoushka wasn’t trans...

The first transgender HG in BBUS is now a series meme I have to kindly disagree that there’s not a right or wrong when it comes to trans representation. That said I do agree that trans people are highly disadvantaged when it comes to representation on TV. It’s also kind of strange that you’re making an argument that says there’s no wrong person to represent a community and then use David as the poster child for breaking down walls for queer acceptance considering he was carefully selected for a specific storyline... If they are going for a token trans person I’d much rather they take time and select a David than sloppily cast the first trans person who walks through the door.

Anoushka wasn’t trans...
I didn’t say she was, I said she was a series guest that stayed a couple days.

I also never said David was the poster child, he was the first gay housemate in the Australian series to not be edited to only satisfy stereotypes (see: Jamie 2003, not Jaime) and actually did cop quite a bit of homophobia from the housemates around him (e.g. Dino blaming the toothbrush theft on Dave for no particular reason and with no real evidence & the straight male housemates always avoiding the showers when he was in the bathroom)

Last edited:
I didn’t say she was, I said she was a series guest that stayed a couple days.

I also never said David was the poster child, he was the first gay housemate in the Australian series to not be edited to only satisfy stereotypes (see: Jamie 2003, not Jaime) and actually did cop quite a bit of homophobia from the housemates around him (e.g. Dino blaming the toothbrush theft on Dave for no particular reason and with no real evidence & the straight male housemates always avoiding the showers when he was in the bathroom)

Sorry I over generalized... But I stand by the fact that I’d much rather they take time to find a “David” type rather than casting for the sake of it.

The Australian transgender community is one of the most disadvantaged in the country, I think it would have been so powerful for 7 to really show Australians what *️actual*️ challenges a person transitioning faces everyday like HRT, Vocal Training and pain associated with a transition. Use the format for what it was designed for, I still maintain that David Graham from 2006 helped the normalisation of homosexuality in our country.

Respectfully, I think it’s important to include Miriam in the example as BBAUs only representation of the trans community to date and it was done in the same fashion the tv show was - for shock value and to “trick” the housemates and later reveal it - it made a mockery and spectacle out of trans people and while it was a “different time” back then I still think it is appalling that it ever happened - it set a precedent that trans people were liars or deceptive and out to fool people. I hope we do get to see some better representation of trans people on tv - I think the voice had a lovely moment last year from memory of a trans young mans story, which was done so respectfully and with love and empathy. More of that ploise Kimmy.

Respectfully, I think it’s important to include Miriam in the example as BBAUs only representation of the trans community to date and it was done in the same fashion the tv show was - for shock value and to “trick” the housemates and later reveal it - it made a mockery and spectacle out of trans people and while it was a “different time” back then I still think it is appalling that it ever happened - it set a precedent that trans people were liars or deceptive and out to fool people. I hope we do get to see some better representation of trans people on tv - I think the voice had a lovely moment last year from memory of a trans young mans story, which was done so respectfully and with love and empathy. More of that ploise Kimmy.

Miriam in general is a great example of how not to represent trans people in media.

Back