Skip to main content

BBUSA 14 - Episode discussion thread

So BBUSA has basically started again. As was always inevitable the coaches have rejoined the game. Producers claim that was decided by the viewers vote (like it was never going to happen), and as such each coach was called to the diary room and given the opportunity to push a button which "reset" the game. As a result last nights eviction was scrapped (saving Frank), the outgoing HoH was eligible to compete (saving Shane) and an evictee will get the chance to return.

An endurance HoH comp began at the end of the show, won by:
Danielle

Very much the case of "expect the expected" from BBUSA and although I don't agree at all with the whole coaches twist in principle, putting them into the game at this point does make things interesting as the team thing (especially from Boogie and Janelle) was getting very very boring.

There are a lot of fans not happy with this twist. Andy D. over at Reality Blurred has written a pretty scathing post about Big Brother (http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/big_brother_14/2012_Aug_02_reset)

On episodes uploaded to YT they are not happy either. Although I do see how this is unfair and if Grodner is going to allow this to happen then they should have sent new Housemates in midway.

This season is by far the sloppiest of them all and that's pretty bad considering they've basically phoned in 6 of the past 7 seasons... It doesn't help that fans of the show actively encourage the revolving door of returning players...

I don't know what it is about this season - I hated the coaches twist, hated the fact they'd inevitably enter the game and hate the manipulation by producers to protect their favourites, but it's the first series I've stuck with in years.

Two brilliant moments from this weeks fast forward eviction - firstly the goodbye messages to Boogie:
[youtubevid]7RHre38mJBc[/youtubevid]

And secondly Joe finally shuts up and gives the best plea for votes ever:
[youtubevid]IgGO_6IgT84[/youtubevid]

The one season I'm really into it and enjoying it nobody else seems to be following, but anyway Wednesdays episode will be an absolute must watch - most US fans seem to agree that the biggest move in the history of the show has been pulled off this week.

That Frank is a one man army. He deserves to win but I feel he will run out of lives eventually.

That was an awesome goodbye too. I'm enjoying the series but like to watch a batch of episodes at once.

Yep, like Brekkie said, Wednesday's episode will be great! Did not expect what happened to actually happen. Game changed, for sure!

I don't know what it is about this season - I hated the coaches twist, hated the fact they'd inevitably enter the game and hate the manipulation by producers to protect their favourites, but it's the first series I've stuck with in years.

Two brilliant moments from this weeks fast forward eviction - firstly the goodbye messages to Boogie:
[youtubevid]7RHre38mJBc[/youtubevid]

And secondly Joe finally shuts up and gives the best plea for votes ever:
[youtubevid]IgGO_6IgT84[/youtubevid]

Wow! Makes me wish I could stick with a US season for more than 1 episode... I really hope Allison decides to move on soon these group/partner twists are really becoming the equivalent of the Shapiro era's casting twists... Even if it is one of her minions that takes over 7 years as EP is long enough... If she's still in it I'd like to see another version of season 10... Bring the show back to casting good characters with minimal twists in the game... Or reinvent the game and call the show BB Reloaded...

So just as BBUSA has one of it's best episodes ever they quickly go and spoil things by throwing Jessie back into the house yet again as part of Pandora's Box.

When Julie gave the rules of the reset didn't she say that those house guests evicted till that point could potentially return?

It was actually that one evicted housemate would get the chance to return if the game wasn't reset - so essentially Frank was probably coming back either way.

Usually a returning evictee is always before the jury stage, which is probably fair, but it would be interesting to see the first 3-4 jurors get the chance to return and make the final 5-6 or so.

Just caught up. I feel sorry for Frank, you could see that blindside was devastating for him.

Now we're left with 2 good players and 3 potplants. Do we really need 2 weeks(3 weeks?) of them to decide the winner? My interest is already starting to wane at the prospect.

Just caught up. I feel sorry for Frank, you could see that blindside was devastating for him.

Now we're left with 2 good players and 3 potplants. Do we really need 2 weeks(3 weeks?) of them to decide the winner? My interest is already starting to wane at the prospect.

September 19th is the final

Can't really feel sorry for someone so stupid he didn't see it coming - even though they were going to do exactly the same weeks ago when producers stepped into save him and Dan even let it slip this week.

Another great episode though - and love that the Chenbot had a personality upgrade this week - her threatening to go into the house if they didn't hurry up was brilliant.

Can't really feel sorry for someone so stupid he didn't see it coming - even though they were going to do exactly the same weeks ago when producers stepped into save him and Dan even let it slip this week.

Another great episode though - and love that the Chenbot had a personality upgrade this week - her threatening to go into the house if they didn't hurry up was brilliant.

Chenbot has had much more of a personality over the last few years

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday's episode didn't come with a Rachel warning.

Love how they have no contact with the outside world.......except when 2 houseguests are driven to meet and see the American Olympics Gymnastics team perform.

At least when BBUK does this, they disguise it as a task! How random was that?!

Last edited:
Love how they have no contact with the outside world.......except when 2 houseguests are driven to meet and see the American Olympics Gymnastics team perform.

At least when BBUK does this, they disguise it as a task! How random was that?!

Given that trips outside the house in the later weeks of the series have ALWAYS been a part of BBUS (including season one that followed the traditional format) is it really a big deal? Considering the trip happened Sunday afternoon and the Houseguests would have been free in less than two weeks anyways... I was watching the live feed at the time (as I was nursing a hangover) and they were basically confined to a hotel suite for the majority of the time they were outside the house anyways... Of course they got to interact with production staff. however it is a well documented fact that they are all on friendly terms with them anyways via the DR, so really face to face interaction is no different.

BBAU pimps in heaps of intruders (who have at some point been allowed to watch the series they are being dropped in to at one point or another) and BBUS uses trips outside the house as a reward of some kind... Is there really a major difference?

Every BB has it's quirks and things (now more than ever) that "violate" the fundamentals of the format... I think out of the 3 English series BBUS does the best job of ensuring outside contact/influence is kept to an absolute minimum.

Your not seriously defending that whole atrocity?

To take two housemates outside (appears to be without microphones) and just a camera team to interact with possible fans (and each other) is bad for the game. The last Celebrity BB had an outside excursion where off camera revelations created an argument back in the house.

The whole scenario wasn't a reward either, it was 5 minute ad for Kellogg’s Corn Flakes. It had nothing to do with Big Brother, everyone was feigning excitement and either group seemed to have little interest in each other. I’m sure there is someone that loves Big Brother and gymnastics and this is a dream come true for them but for the rest of us it stunk.

Because BBUSA is basically a pure strategy game, outside influences are even more detrimental to the game. That's why intruders wouldn't work and that's why interacting with the general public should be a no no. That includes all the posing and fawning over each other for PR shots.

Back