Skip to main content

BBUS 23 (includes live feed and episode spoilers)

I think what you've highlights, intentionally or inadvertintly, is how one joke which may be considered poor taste, but in the context of this thread somewhat makes sense, could come back to haunt you years later when people just take that one line and ignore everything posted around it, others in the conversation and the entire context of what was being discussed. That is the sort of thing people calling out that on the whole I have no time for, especially if the comments were from their school days.

Personally I think social media also needs to do more to protect individuals - I think at least as a default that all users who join a platform before their 18 should have their posts from childhood hidden from public view as default, and arguably no reason either for posts from anyone more than a year old to be viewable either. It isn't about not holding people accountable for their previous actions - it's realising that previous actions may be a result of immaturity or may just not look acceptable now outside the context of why they were posted at the time.

Anyway, back to the show itself and it premieres tonight. Will basically be the same structure as the All Stars premiere, but at half an hour shorter will hopefully feel much pacier.

Basically HGs move in in four groups of 4. Each group will compete in a competition with the winner becoming a team captain. The 4 captains will then choose their teams, with the assistance of some pre-season footage, and compete for HoH. The winner will then be offered some kind of "offer they can't refuse".

Live feed launch later tonight, then the show returns on Sunday, continuing Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Anyway, back to the show itself and it premieres tonight. Will basically be the same structure as the All Stars premiere, but at half an hour shorter will hopefully feel much pacier.

Basically HGs move in in four groups of 4. Each group will compete in a competition with the winner becoming a team captain. The 4 captains will then choose their teams, with the assistance of some pre-season footage, and compete for HoH. The winner will then be offered some kind of "offer they can't refuse".

Live feed launch later tonight, then the show returns on Sunday, continuing Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I am very much looking forward to it. This is my first live season since BB17 and also the first season where I'll be able to watch live feeds so I'm looking forward to watch this season post my binge.

The Draft:

The captain will push their button to start the BB slot machine that will select two HG's. They'll then watch a video and select one of the two.

The Jokers (Frenchie): Azah, Britini, Derek F
The Aces (Whitney): Brent, Derek X, Hannah
The Kings (Christian): Alyssa, Xavier, Sara Beth
The Queens (Claire): Kyland ,Tiffiany ,Travis

HoH:

Played in teams

The Jokers win. Frenchie is the first HoH

Have Nots:

The Kings

The Prize:

$750,000

The Offer:

Two weeks of safety. Frenchie will have to throw a pair of dice on a table from a distance. Both dice must land and stay on the table. He'll have 45 seconds. If he takes the offer and fails he'll lose HoH and the 2nd place team captain (Claire) will become HoH.

The outcome:

Frenchie chose not to take the offer.

Overall great premiere and it worked much better with 90 minutes. The only disappointment was the offer and that it wasn't taken. Let's hope they fine tune things moving forward. I'd love to see the HoH stay a team comp while the teams are in play.

I'll add a spoiler warning to the title to avoid having to hide everything here. Nothing more annoying than reading a thread which is half hidden by spoiler tags.

Firstly so frustrating they couldn't find a couple of hundred dollars to switch out the mouldy ceiling tiles but have found $250k to add to the jackpot. Would much rather have seen that money spent on gutting the house completely and rebuilding it fit for purpose.

As glad as I am they're finally premiering the show live it was frustrating they seem to learn little from the All Stars premiere. The shorter running time helped but repeating a fairly non-visually interesting comp four times does not kick off the season with a bang. The HoH comp worked quite well for live TV, but the double or nothing twist fell flat. Maybe they should have added the $250k jackpot increase to the prize for winning that in so the HGs would have encouraged them to take the gamble. Overall though production felt so cheap, especially with the dated generic background music. As glad as I am they didn't inject fake crowd noise they really need to realise how good sound design can lift a programme and bad sound design really make it feel poor.

Glad it's back though and will be interesting to see what form the Wildcard comp takes. IIRC it's one member of each team competing with a dilemma for the winner. I'm guessing the winner might have to nominate someone from their own team to win immunity for themselves.

I’m not a fan of a thread full of spoiler tags either but reporting on the live show I felt they were important. However we don’t have a large group discussing the show so it’s likely unnecessary. I just didn’t want to ruffle feathers as I have been lately…

The problem with the risk/reward twist is risk adverse HG’s and with it being the first week no one wants to give others an excuse to nominate them. First week nominations typically don’t involve much thought and things like losing a competition could potentially be used as an excuse. Even if the prize increase was tide to the gamble they likely would have still declined it. From what I saw on Twitter most fans agree that it was an offer worth refusing.

IMO the premiere is usually the least interesting of the season even back when it was pre-recorded. The live format does have its faults I think it can only get better as they fine tune the new format. Overall I was pleased and it brought me back to the days of old where I was actually excited to see how the rest of the season progressed.

Things I’ve gathered so far:

- Frenchie and Tiffany have each other’s back
- Frenchie has made it clear he won’t target a woman or POC. He says they’re targeted far too often and wants to do something different
- Frenchies made it known Brent is a target
- There’s been talk of a mass layered alliance called The Slaughter House. Frenchie has tried to recruit most of the house in to The Slaughter House
- Frenchie told Brent he was safe but still plans to potentially target him
- Christian, Kyland and Whitney? are competing in the Wild Card Comp

I am struggling very hard with the feeds lol this is all very new to me. Every time I’m set on a cam apparently the conversation is better on another cam so I switch but the lagging causes me to miss the entire conversation by the time I get there. Also do to living in Australian time zone I miss the day part of the feeds so I’ve missed most do the slaughter house story line. I did catch Tiffany and frenchy somewhat aligning and I did hear him say he doesn’t wanna target women. So looking like his targets are Christian Brent and Travis. He also told Britini he wants to backdrop Brent.

Christian won the Wild Card comp and got to pick someone on his team to save. He chose Xavier. Word on Twitter is Derek X is the new target 🙄. SB and Kyland are talking about forming a duo.

Personally as a character I find Christian entertaining from what I have seen on the feeds. Kinda like a goofball. A lot of people find it cringe, I think its humorous. So I am happy with him winning. It seems Frenchie has flipped and flopped on his target several times.

Personally as a character I find Christian entertaining from what I have seen on the feeds. Kinda like a goofball. A lot of people find it cringe, I think its humorous. So I am happy with him winning. It seems Frenchie has flipped and flopped on his target several times.
Frenchie is all over the place, he’s tried to build alliances with everyone except Derek X and Travis, and he’s flip flopped on who he’s promised safety to/targeting. He initially said he wouldn’t nominate a POC or a woman this week which later changed to targeting Derek X and asking a woman to volunteer as a pawn.

Not up to speed on the live feeds - not a lot had happened when I checked yesterday.
The problem with the risk/reward twist is risk adverse HG’s and with it being the first week no one wants to give others an excuse to nominate them. First week nominations typically don’t involve much thought and things like losing a competition could potentially be used as an excuse. Even if the prize increase was tide to the gamble they likely would have still declined it. From what I saw on Twitter most fans agree that it was an offer worth refusing.

IMO the premiere is usually the least interesting of the season even back when it was pre-recorded. The live format does have its faults I think it can only get better as they fine tune the new format. Overall I was pleased and it brought me back to the days of old where I was actually excited to see how the rest of the season progressed.
Yes, virtually all houseguests play very safe in the early weeks. Indeed it's been some time since they had a wildcard who just went for it (and then usually crashed and burned). That's why I'd have added the prize money increase to the dilemma - it would offer something which rewards the whole house.

I do think the premieres were probably better in the earlier seasons where they usually squeezed in an opening food comp, linked twist and HoH comp, which made pre-recording them worth it. Not been a fan in more recent years where it's basically been a format which is different to the usual format to determine either the first HoH or first evictee.

I do think this felt flatter than most but give them somewhat of a pass for it only being their second and the lack of a crowd meaning little atmosphere. I think getting them to pre-record diary room segments and prepping them on the rules beforehand was a good move, but took away a bit of the live feel.

Personally I think having a one hour show on Wednesday and Thursday would have been better with the 4 initial comps then reveal of the prize money changes and captains twist at the end. I'd then have given them 24 hours to get to know each other before the teams are picked and had highlights of their first night kick off the second show before a live team pick and live HoH comp.

Moving forward I think the live repeated competition actually sucks the energy out of the premiere - not only are they quite boring to watch but they just kill the initial energy the houseguests have when they moved into the house. I think just having them move in in the four groups of four and meet each other would be more interesting, and then stick a live HoH comp in at the end.

Back