Skip to main content

BBUK renewed until 2018

BBUK renewed till 2018 - good or bad news?

• Good News

• Bad News

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brekkie

Staff member
Viacom have made a few announcements today about their plans for Channel 5, one of them is to keep airing Big Brother until the end of 2018, with the pattern of one civilian series and two celeb series continuing.

So good news for the people who'll watch any old shit, bad news for the true Big Brother fan. Sadly I suspect it'll be even worse by the end of 2018 than it is now.

http://www.bbspy.co.uk/cbb15/news/0...more-years-on-air-until-2018-endemol-shine-uk

Last edited:
Viacom have made a few announcements today about their plans for Channel 5, one of them is to keep airing Big Brother until the end of 2018, with the pattern of one civilian series and two celeb series continuing.

So good news for the people who'll watch any old shit, bad news for the true Big Brother fan. Sadly I suspect it'll be even worse by the end of 2018 than it is now.

http://www.bbspy.co.uk/cbb15/news/0...more-years-on-air-until-2018-endemol-shine-uk

I can't say I am surprised... In terms of everything else I really don't have much to say... Other than I can't believe they've renewed the summer series of CBB for another three years... So much for Viacom saying they thought Channel 5 was relying to much on BB... The second series has been completely useless in recent years and by comparison the winter series has always been the stronger of the two IMO...

I know it isn't what it used to be, but I'm still glad that it's been renewed. At least they have a chance to redeem themselves. They won't, of course, but the hope is there however small. I'm disappointed about the two celebrity seasons though. I do think that's overkill.

It doesn't help they've signed a deal to stay at the Elstree site for the duration when the show had clearly outgrown the site about 3 or 4 years before it ended on C4. A new home could be just the kick up the ass the show needs, and it was looking like they'd be almost forced to move with plans to build new sound stages on the vacant land beside the house, but that build seems to be getting nowhere fast.

It doesn't help they've signed a deal to stay at the Elstree site for the duration when the show had clearly outgrown the site about 3 or 4 years before it ended on C4. A new home could be just the kick up the ass the show needs, and it was looking like they'd be almost forced to move with plans to build new sound stages on the vacant land beside the house, but that build seems to be getting nowhere fast.

Oh yeah, a change of scenery would be great actually. It really should've happened when the show changed over to 5, although I can see why it didn't. Now though after the amount of success that it's had, they definitely should've moved this year at the very latest.

The plan from a couple of years ago shows just how tight the space is (and they don't exactly make the most effective use out of it too).
060.jpg

Not really - it's built on an old water tank and pretty much follows the outline of that and there really isn't much room around it now - since it moved to C5 rather than renting a studio for a period they built a production village on the spare land at the back out of portacabins.

...it's looking like Big Brother is dead and buried here in Australia... I'm thankful that at least the UK/Canada and USA still have a version running for us to watch in one form or another no matter how bad they may become... it's better than never seeing Big Brother at all again... well that's the way that I see it anyway... cheers.

...it's looking like Big Brother is dead and buried here in Australia... I'm thankful that at least the UK/Canada and USA still have a version running for us to watch in one form or another no matter how bad they may become... it's better than never seeing Big Brother at all again... well that's the way that I see it anyway... cheers.

Even then I'm really not bothered by any BB right now...

The plan from a couple of years ago shows just how tight the space is (and they don't exactly make the most effective use out of it too).
060.jpg
What lead them to use a building shaped like that? Most Houses that I've seen seem to have a rectangular shell. :confused:

What lead them to use a building shaped like that? Most Houses that I've seen seem to have a rectangular shell. :confused:

It could be the fact that the house is build above a tank... The area around the house is also quite small so perhaps the shape has to do with maximizing space? Here a few areal shots of the house...

07_elstree_water_tank_2012.jpg

big-brother-birdseye.jpg

This thread on DS is full of lots of info about the current house at Elstree... The fact that the house is built upon a water tank has a lot to do with the shape of the house... Due to the fact that the tank is a foundation of sorts and is the same shape as the house they are unable to extend it or modify it...

The house was placed at Elstree to save money and due to time constraints...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=741697

comparisons.jpg

...from those images that you posted Kingston it looks like since they were posted there has been a lot of renovation work all around the house but not in expanding any of it... I went onto 'Google Earth and got these updated images to show the comparisons...when you look at images 'B' and 'C' it looked like they had lots of room for expansions at the bottom left hand side of image 'C' that you posted but when you look at 'B' they made it into parking space instead..

...I guess that they were looking at long term plans for the area when they did it... after all they were probably not sure that they would renew the series until recently... but still... they could always go upwards and make a second floor I guess lol!... but why would they?... that show might not last longer than their planned 2018 extension... I guess the amount of money invested to do that would be too much for one show wouldn't it?... anyhow... I think the house would look like shit if they did that personally... it would be confusing for viewers and production teams alike methinks...

...so it looks like they are stuck with the room that they have so perhaps a shuffle around of the present rooms is about all they can do just to make the best possible space that they actually have as you said?... just saying... cheers.

060.jpg
It's amazing the perspective between TV and IRL, it certainly doesn't look that small on TV. I guess a smaller house is going with the stereotype of the British having small homes :D , they don't want to get too far out of their comfort zone

View attachment 49505

...from those images that you posted Kingston it looks like since they were posted there has been a lot of renovation work all around the house but not in expanding any of it... I went onto 'Google Earth and got these updated images to show the comparisons...when you look at images 'B' and 'C' it looked like they had lots of room for expansions at the bottom left hand side of image 'C' that you posted but when you look at 'B' they made it into parking space instead..

...I guess that they were looking at long term plans for the area when they did it... after all they were probably not sure that they would renew the series until recently... but still... they could always go upwards and make a second floor I guess lol!... but why would they?... that show might not last longer than their planned 2018 extension... I guess the amount of money invested to do that would be too much for one show wouldn't it?... anyhow... I think the house would look like shit if they did that personally... it would be confusing for viewers and production teams alike methinks...

...so it looks like they are stuck with the room that they have so perhaps a shuffle around of the present rooms is about all they can do just to make the best possible space that they actually have as you said?... just saying... cheers.

When BB moved to Channel 5 the contract for the surrounding studios that housed BB's production base and supplied studio space for BBLB, BBBM, and the eviction shows could not be renewed... Channel 5 instead built a temporary production village in the area surround the house and the old outdoor stage was enclosed and converted to studio space... At this point the facilities are there so unless the council decides not to renew planning permissions the production village is here to stay... The green area surrounding the house known as the mound is rumored for over a decade now to be a part of an expansion of Elstree studios which is probably the main reason the house structure has never really gone through any major revamps...

214cwab.jpg

live4.jpg

It's amazing the perspective between TV and IRL, it certainly doesn't look that small on TV. I guess a smaller house is going with the stereotype of the British having small homes :D , they don't want to get too far out of their comfort zone

The structure itself is actually quiet spacious but hasn't really been used to its full potential since the first series after the move... I'll post a link to the BB3 launch and you'll see in the house tour how much a difference that house is compared to other designs... The decision was made for BB5 in 2004 to drastically reduce the size of the house including dropping the height of the ceilings and raising the floors to give the house a more claustrophobic feel which in turn was intended to create conflict and essentially drive the HM's mad... Davina gives a decent explanation of the changes that were made to the BB5 house in her house tour so I'll also post a link for that as well... While there have been attempts to increase the space used within the house things like secret rooms, task areas, and other house features that have worked their way in to the design over the years eat up quite a bit of space and has decreased efficient use of the space... There's also the fact that production still seem be under the impression that a smaller house leads to increased conflict and the raised floors and lowered ceilings have remained...

Last edited:
...thanks for putting up those videos Kingston... what I liked about those houses the most were the simplicity of the styles of the house... not much colour and not too much 'fancy stuff' cluttering the house... they looked more like prison facilities instead of weekend luxury pads didn't they?... hmmmm!... now there's a theme that I would like to see... a Prison with 'cells' type of rooms... make the Diary Room a padded cell!... lol!...

...it was interesting to hear that they lowered the ceilings and made some walls lean inwards to cause a claustrophobic effect... it just goes to show that they started the original Big Brother shows based mostly on the Psychological aspect of it all... it's a shame that it's not the case now isn't it?... aaaaah!... the 'good ol' days!'... how I miss them...

...maybe in the next series they should start making living in the house a tad bit more 'uncomfortable' in the real sense...not punish them for a few hours but make their entire stay like living in prison?... give them all an 'Allen key' and make them assemble their own furniture etc like they did in one of the early Australian Big Brother series?... now that would make for interesting viewing... cheers.

When BB moved to Channel 5 the contract for the surrounding studios that housed BB's production base and supplied studio space for BBLB, BBBM, and the eviction shows could not be renewed... Channel 5 instead built a temporary production village in the area surround the house and the old outdoor stage was enclosed and converted to studio space... At this point the facilities are there so unless the council decides not to renew planning permissions the production village is here to stay... The green area surrounding the house known as the mound is rumored for over a decade now to be a part of an expansion of Elstree studios which is probably the main reason the house structure has never really gone through any major revamps...

214cwab.jpg

live4.jpg

The structure itself is actually quiet spacious but hasn't really been used to its full potential since the first series after the move... I'll post a link to the BB3 launch and you'll see in the house tour how much a difference that house is compared to other designs... The decision was made for BB5 in 2004 to drastically reduce the size of the house including dropping the height of the ceilings and raising the floors to give the house a more claustrophobic feel which in turn was intended to create conflict and essentially drive the HM's mad... Davina gives a decent explanation of the changes that were made to the BB5 house in her house tour so I'll also post a link for that as well... While there have been attempts to increase the space used within the house things like secret rooms, task areas, and other house features that have worked their way in to the design over the years eat up quite a bit of space and has decreased efficient use of the space... There's also the fact that production still seem be under the impression that a smaller house leads to increased conflict and the raised floors and lowered ceilings have remained...

Omfg.... Young Davina.... This is amazing , she looks like she's doing her best Gretel Impression, unless Gretel is doing a Davina Impression :D

I never liked the outdoor sets BBUK has used - in the past it felt like they had plonked a stage in the middle of a carpark because they didnt have any other options. The current set is actually quite good though, but it does feel a little small and cramped still...

I never liked the outdoor sets BBUK has used - in the past it felt like they had plonked a stage in the middle of a carpark because they didnt have any other options. The current set is actually quite good though, but it does feel a little small and cramped still...

It certainly looks a lot better to the Alcatraz Style lock, key and chain that they did use. I actually love the idea of the rotating platform, a great substitute for the "Guarded" platform

Back