Skip to main content

BBB Members and Their Christmas Traditions

My Christmas time came to a halt when I did something, I was told not to do at the age of 10. It was nothing bad ..... I just lived a dream :(
I got a belting - I got told that Santa hates me - and even though I got some pressies from Santa, my life would never be the same.

Glad that peeps can move on and make it a special time BUT I really hate Christmas ......... and having a birthday sorta close to the day, and being treated as one is pppppfffftttttt .......

NO fucking pretty decorations will change anything to what has been embed in my damn memory, and trying to change it and paint a new portrait will not ever happen, as many, many, many years have past. More of a time to get forget.

@delcan - love sent xxxxxx (Love ya crutches) Take care babes .......

For those that LOVE Christmas - Enjoy - but don't forget those that are unable to share that Joy, for whatever reason ..........

I always watch Die Hard on Christmas eve.... Greatest Christmas movie of all time.
I like it too, because it is one of the few Christmas movies that feels like an Australian christmas and hot, sultry night before.My own christmas tradition is to take a meditative, melancholy, reflective walk just before dark on the evening of the 24th, to think about where I am this christmas, and if the way I've lived my life this year was a good way, and if it has delivered me into a good place this christmas - because for me a good christmas is great. But they can be meh if spent the wrong way.

On Christmas Day night we all stay at Mum and Dad's and watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation like we have every single year since I've been alive. Doesn't matter that we know every single word by heart, viewing is compulsory.

Last edited:
Not that it'll be a huge surprise to most people but I am completely anti-Christmas. I used to really love it as a kid but as I got older I really started to hate it. The revelation that Santa wasn't real really fucked me up, which sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I couldn't help but feel like I had been made a fool of for however many years. Even now thinking back to how betrayed I felt is making me feel a little upset. And then once that particular "magic" had gone I started to feel very cynical about the entire consumerist event, and at the same I was reaching/at that age where the amount of and quality of presents declined, and now I'm almost infuriated when Christmas comes around.

Back in 2012, though, I had a good Christmas. My then-boyfriend who I loved very, very much and I made personalised cards for all of our friends, and we bought everyone books that we thought represented their personalities, and we went to Christmas dinner wearing matching Christmas shirts from Big W (tacky chic), and it was a really lovely time for me. I got a lot of presents from my/our friends that year, and it felt like a mature, adult return to the excitement of my childhood Christmases. I would really have loved for Christmas to be like that forever, but... yeah.

Last year's build up to Christmas wasn't so bad for me, because I was in London at the time, and it was just so, so, so pretty, and it suffocated the Scrooge in me. I suppose Christmas itself wasn't that bad either, because all of the attention was on me since I had just come back from my trip a few days earlier.

As for "traditions" they've all more or less died out as I've gotten older. It seems both sides of my family have all stopped caring, which is okay by me, I guess. Though, I do miss putting on a Christmas Eve Performance Spectacular with my cousins on my dad's side, with the goal to outshine Carols By Candlelight, which I assure you we did every year thanks to my brilliant writing and direction.

Not that it'll be a huge surprise to most people but I am completely anti-Christmas. I used to really love it as a kid but as I got older I really started to hate it. The revelation that Santa wasn't real really fucked me up, which sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I couldn't help but feel like I had been made a fool of for however many years. Even now thinking back to how betrayed I felt is making me feel a little upset. And then once that particular "magic" had gone I started to feel very cynical about the entire consumerist event, and at the same I was reaching/at that age where the amount of and quality of presents declined, and now I'm almost infuriated when Christmas comes around.

Back in 2012, though, I had a good Christmas. My then-boyfriend who I loved very, very much and I made personalised cards for all of our friends, and we bought everyone books that we thought represented their personalities, and we went to Christmas dinner wearing matching Christmas shirts from Big W (tacky chic), and it was a really lovely time for me. I got a lot of presents from my/our friends that year, and it felt like a mature, adult return to the excitement of my childhood Christmases. I would really have loved for Christmas to be like that forever, but... yeah.

Last year's build up to Christmas wasn't so bad for me, because I was in London at the time, and it was just so, so, so pretty, and it suffocated the Scrooge in me. I suppose Christmas itself wasn't that bad either, because all of the attention was on me since I had just come back from my trip a few days earlier.

As for "traditions" they've all more or less died out as I've gotten older. It seems both sides of my family have all stopped caring, which is okay by me, I guess. Though, I do miss putting on a Christmas Eve Performance Spectacular with my cousins on my dad's side, with the goal to outshine Carols By Candlelight, which I assure you we did every year thanks to my brilliant writing and direction.
I was pretty devastated about finding out Santa was not real. I was maybe 8/9... My mum tells me the eve of Christmas to wrap some of the presents up for my sisters so they think Santa came. That's how I found out. I was stunned but didn't say anything. I wrapped the presents and for the first time did not try and stay awake for Santa.

But I still love christmas with all my heart. Having children did make it more special though and I get excited thinking of all the moments I will share with them around this time. Like @Trala said, you make your own traditions and I have my own family. So I hope whoever you are with (or who you will one day celebrate Christmas with), will become a special thing between just you two and whoever else that means a lot to you. How we think changes over time. Well for me it did lol. I promise not to devastate my kids in the same way though haha

Last edited:
I was pretty devastated about finding out Santa was not real. I was maybe 8/9... My mum tells me the eve of Christmas to wrap some of the presents up for my sisters so they think Santa came. That's how I found out. I was stunned but didn't say anything. I wrapped the presents and for the first time did not try and stay awake for Santa.

But I still love christmas with all my heart. Having children did make it more special though and I get excited thinking of all the moments I will share with them around this time. Like @Trala said, you make your own traditions and I have my own family. So I hope whoever you are with (or who you will one day celebrate Christmas with), will become a special thing between just you two and whoever else that means a lot to you. How we think changes over time. Well for me it did lol. I promise not to devastate my kids in the same way though haha
I don't remember ever believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny as a child. But when raising my son, it was important to me that he experience the magic of believing. And believe he did. He got to 12 and still 100% believed in Santa. It got to the stage he was being teased at school, and we had "the conversation".

Milo: So Mum, is Santa really true?
Me: As long as you believe - he is true...
Milo: Tell me Mum, swear to God, tell me, is he true?
Me: Believing in him makes Christmas magical, but no, Santa is not completely true. I am Santa.
Milo: But I saw him Mum! I saw him riding my bike that year singing "Ho Ho Ho"
Me: That was me, son. Karen and I stayed up late drinking wine trying to work out how to assemble your bike. We were so excited that we did it we road it up and down the drive way singing Christmas carols.
Milo: But Mum, what about the Easter Bunny, and the tooth Fairy?
Me: I have some more bad news, my darling...

Ha!

We still laugh about it to this day!

I don't remember ever believing in Santa or the Easter Bunny as a child. But when raising my son, it was important to me that he experience the magic of believing. And believe he did. He got to 12 and still 100% believed in Santa. It got to the stage he was being teased at school, and we had "the conversation".

Milo: So Mum, is Santa really true?
Me: As long as you believe - he is true...
Milo: Tell me Mum, swear to God, tell me, is he true?
Me: Believing in him makes Christmas magical, but no, Santa is not completely true. I am Santa.
Milo: But I saw him Mum! I saw him riding my bike that year singing "Ho Ho Ho"
Me: That was me, son. Karen and I stayed up late drinking wine trying to work out how to assemble your bike. We were so excited that we did it we road it up and down the drive way singing Christmas carols.
Milo: But Mum, what about the Easter Bunny, and the tooth Fairy?
Me: I have some more bad news, my darling...

Ha!

We still laugh about it to this day!
Hahaha oh poor milo... I think this is a fabulous memory and the reason it is treasured is because he knew the magic you wanted to bring to his life. I love it! I agree too about the magic of believing , it's a wonderful thing :)

My boys are a little older now, one will turn 4 in the first half of next year, so understands quite a bit now. We made a video to send to Santa. He asked Santa to get him a bike with a trailer and i said maybe he should ask Santa to get a present for someone he loves. He asks Santa to not eat the cookies, carrots and drink the milk when he brings the presents, because his younger brother loves those things. I laughed and said how about a present for him too... He looks at me and says 'mum, he loves food', as he rolls his eyes at me lol. I love that I will have so much more memories from all this.

A friend of mine used this website last year to make a video from Santa to her six-year-old:

https://www.portablenorthpole.com/

It's pretty neat, and all you need to do is upload a photo and a few details about your child. They receive a personalised video message. :) There is a paid version as well, but the free one is great.

We need some Christmas tree pics!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen, people!!

Ok favorite Christmas movie and TV show.... Mine is Miracle on 34th Street, and Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas ( tie)

Reactions: Tee
It's pretty neat, and all you need to do is upload a photo and a few details about your child. They receive a personalised video message. :) There is a paid version as well, but the free one is great.

Oh, that reminds me of those personalised Christmas book things, where "insert kids name here" gets to help Santa deliver presents or whatever. I used to looooove mine.

Oh, that reminds me of those personalised Christmas book things, where "insert kids name here" gets to help Santa deliver presents or whatever. I used to looooove mine.

Oh! I remember those too! Never had one myself, but was sooo jealous of friends that did. Haha. :)

Back