Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

He does Cameos these days, and every one has the same "Hiiiiiii it's me, it's Ben from Big Brother *forced giggle* *snort*"

I actually think Ben was genuine. He was definitely the producers favourite of the series and was forced down our throats but I thought it was the real him. He has always struck me as vulnerable but a nice person.

Random thoughts watching old series.
Older series.
One thing I was reminded of constantly whilst re-watching , was the social experiment. The convos etc. Not so much a deeper dive into an actual housemate, but more watching a holistic view of the social entity ebbing and flowing.
But there was a constant. Spanning many series.
I swear not one series went past when one or more than one spoke of "im the most popular in my group. But in here I cant get a word in cos there are bigger personalities than me". Or words to that effect.
LOL
At what point didnt they realise after hours and stages of audition.........i dunno....... perhaps surmizing that they carefully screen alpha/charismatic/attractive/tokennerd types who arent all short of a word and full of themselves from all over the far reaches of australia?
They scoured ponds all over. Some were just very small ponds without much oxygenation.
maxresdefault.jpg

"my group"
LOL

Last edited:
We’ve talked a bit about how I’m not a big fan of nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia. I’ve only watched the New York series but this is a perfect example of how to be nostalgic but still move the story forward. Anyone interested in watching this the original series had a handful of episodes on YouTube (message me and I’ll see if I can’t find the full series somewhere) and they’re really easy to watch at 20 minutes an episode.

Apologise for my asinine contributions and thoughts.

Big Brother Australia 2013 - Day 23 - Live Nominations #3​

Big brother gave me a quite large lol in responding with such pertinent context to what I was rabbitting on about before.
Mikk voting for Matt. Stating that he is extremely self absorbed .BB answers.
" Mikkayla . You are in the big brother house. Arent you all self-absorbed.?"
LOL

We’ve talked a bit about how I’m not a big fan of nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia. I’ve only watched the New York series but this is a perfect example of how to be nostalgic but still move the story forward. Anyone interested in watching this the original series had a handful of episodes on YouTube (message me and I’ll see if I can’t find the full series somewhere) and they’re really easy to watch at 20 minutes an episode.

Yes - I love that concept and reuniting a seasons housemates, whether just to film it or in some new kind of game, would be fascinating. I think it's only been done once on Big Brother and that was very early on just one year after the original series (Norway I think). Even just a round table reunion meal would probably work.

Am also waiting for a version of Big Brother to do a series where all the housemates are kids of previous housemates.

As the same as I did upon first watching it live, I still cannot see one remote attribute about Tully. Totally myopic.

Whereabouts are you currently up to, @Zcsund1234?
I'm up to Day 24 when the divide is removed. I've been a lot slower than I was with 2012. More because I've been working more lately. I am enjoying the watch but the major storylines don't start as early as I remembered them. The first few weeks are all focused around Jade flirting, Ben being Ben, Tim annoying people. The Tahan and sugar sisters rivalry has now started.

Hopefully this week I'll be able to pump through more episodes. The 60-70 minute lengthened episodes aren't too bad to watch, it's just it's not very easy to sit and watch a full episode before work or when I have time to quickly watch one. I could smash out a week of daily shows in one sitting from the ten seasons, but right now I need to actually find time to go through four movie lengthened episodes in a row.

At 52:10 there is a scene of housemates discussing real life topics and sharing opinions. After watching all of these seasons one after the other, I think this is possibly one of the longest and most complex group conversations that's part of the daily show since 2001. This season was a bit slow and I wasn't as interested in it as I was previous seasons, but this scene caught my interest and I enjoyed listening to real life conversations between every day people.

Now that I'm about a month into it the storylines are becoming more consistent and entertaining and I'm enjoying it a lot now. I am pleased to be corrected about misremembering the edit being lopsided towards Tim. Jade, Drew, Tully, Ben, Tahan and Mikkayla all get sufficient content, it's not just the Tim show episode after episode.

I remember this episode very well also. I can recall sitting in my grandparent's lounge with my family and we all watched it together. When Tim pretended it was his birthday just to mess with the housemates. I never liked Tim at the time, I thought he played up to the cameras and that the voting audience were snubbing off other housemates just because they found him funny. I now have a new found liking for him and I can appreciate that everything he did was for the good of the show. Even if he knew what he was doing, I think he was still being himself.

The pretend birthday lie as well as the moment when Tim nominates himself for a eviction the next week have always felt to me as Tim's defining moment. It was around this time where I feel Tim had cemented himself as the winner of the season. From that moment I never doubted he would win the series at all. At the time I didn't want that outcome, but now I can admit that he deserved the win.

Tully is also annoying me now just as much as she did in 2013.

As flawed as the 2012-2014 seasons are, there is one thing I think channel 9 did well. I like the late night feast. It's not uncut but I enjoyed rewatching that first episode of it. Sexual conversations happened, political and controversial ones as well. And not to mention I had a flashback to being 13 and watching Mikkayla fake a very loud orgasm. Drew's strip tease was fun. I like that there was an adult version of the show included, and it proved that nudity wasn't necessary for an adult show. At the time I enjoyed having an extra show beyond the daily show to look forward to as well.

At the time I enjoyed having an extra show beyond the daily show to look forward to as well.
Yeah. I've said previously that Seven should have had a companion show, even if just based on daily stuff/conversations etc so we actually get to know the HMs better.

Yeah. I've said previously that Seven should have had a companion show, even if just based on daily stuff/conversations etc so we actually get to know the HMs better.
Exactly that. Even if it's short and weekly, I just want something extra that involves house chat with no strategy. I just want to get a basic understanding of who these people are.

As flawed as the 2012-2014 seasons are, there is one thing I think channel 9 did well. I like the late night feast. It's not uncut but I enjoyed rewatching that first episode of it. Sexual conversations happened, political and controversial ones as well. And not to mention I had a flashback to being 13 and watching Mikkayla fake a very loud orgasm. Drew's strip tease was fun. I like that there was an adult version of the show included, and it proved that nudity wasn't necessary for an adult show. At the time I enjoyed having an extra show beyond the daily show to look forward to as well.
Yes, it was the closest thing to seeing the housemates "live" we got, and helped the hour was not game focused and just about the housemates letting loose. Think Brazil do a similar thing each week (and bring in DJs too for a weekly party).

With Seven I'm not convinced after watching a 90 minute poorly edited show there is much demand for more, and I'm not even convinced the housemates are even filmed at night or outside set hours anyway. However their digital strategy has been appalling - they could easily put together a more fleshed out show featuring the housemates votes, evictee interview and a few unseen moments but it was all rather disjointed when they did it in the first series. The show having no website of it's own and quite a poor presence on social media means throwing up more random "unseen moments" isn't really an option either.

Yes, they could put together a weekly show based on non-game related moments from the week but I think they'd struggle to even get the die hard BB fan to watch it.

Okay I’m so far behind then what I expected. But watching Day 44 Uncut 2005 and seeing Hotdogs inappropriately touch Glenn like that was so uncomfortable to watch. I mean at least there was some sort of reprimand in the form of a strike. It’s honestly so crazy to believe that there was actually a time in which people just for the most part got away with this kind of behaviour.

At 52:10 there is a scene of housemates discussing real life topics and sharing opinions. After watching all of these seasons one after the other, I think this is possibly one of the longest and most complex group conversations that's part of the daily show since 2001. This season was a bit slow and I wasn't as interested in it as I was previous seasons, but this scene caught my interest and I enjoyed listening to real life conversations between every day people.
I enjoyed watching this for many reasons - they all had some really great things to say. I did find the era that drew said he saw himself coming from interesting. That is around my era. When I saw him on the promo the other day, he so reminded me of the teenage boys from my grungy 90's days - especially the ones who knew that they were cute but were just a but sick of the attention so deliberately looking grungier - or maybe to attract attention from someone that will try to change him? (past history has shown he seems to like the high drama relationships like that)

Back