Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Starting 2002 tonight. The available episodes on youtube are in pretty poor quality so that won't help my disinterest going in lol. Not sure how I feel about the intruder twist? Its different to say the least, I find the intruders more interesting than the housemates, so um, yeah.

I'm only up to Day 44 of S1. And I haven't been watching it as such, it's been running on the TV while I've been doing other stuff, for the most part. That's why my analysis has been limited to random observations. I tell you what, "Hi, Timbo here!" drives me crazy every single time. If anyone sees Tmbo please punch him in the face for me.

I'm only up to Day 44 of S1. And I haven't been watching it as such, it's been running on the TV while I've been doing other stuff, for the most part. That's why my analysis has been limited to random observations. I tell you what, "Hi, Timbo here!" drives me crazy every single time. If anyone sees Tmbo please punch him in the face for me.
I'm trying really hard to focus on it. I tried edgicing (apologies to those who do not know what that is, I have discussed it in Survivor and BB threads before, it is essentially analysing edits and mapping them out visually) however there wasn't much to really go off compared to survivor as the edits were mainly the same week after week so I abandoned that idea quite quickly. the last week or two of 2001 were the only weeks I struggled. 2002 I really fair my bias will hinder my enjoyment of it already but I am trying my best. I am up to day 4 and I do love Jess so hopefully she will keep me intrigued. I will say I don't really care about the her and Marty thing at all.

I typically have been watching it of a night time as I go to bed. so around 9ish-10ish PM I'll get into bed and watch until I get tired or force myself to make it to the eviction so go to sleep at around 3am lol (working in hospitality makes this very doable, I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO EVER WORKING 9-5!) so I smash a week or a bit more in a day.

I have noticed some incremental changes in S1 as 10 found their way. Like the way they announced the Eviction line numbers. They started very awkwardly with Mike Goldman telling people to "ring" each number. Then after a while he switched randomly between ring/call/dial to mix things up a bit. And then a few weeks in they sharpened it up by saying things like "To shaft Sharna, call..." (I think Sharna had already gone by the time they did this so they didn't get to use that one, unfortunately).

Also in the first week, Mike G was used very frugally to narrate the first daily show before they beefed up his role quite quickly.

Also the house: The DR didn't have an airlock, so it opened directly off the kitchen/living area. Did they add an airlock in S2?

Also the house: The DR didn't have an airlock, so it opened directly off the kitchen/living area. Did they add an airlock in S2?
According to this floor plan there's no airlock.

BB2Aus-Plan.jpg

There was an extremely small airlock.

The Diary Room door was next to the kitchen and they'd open the first door to then have to open a second door.

Unless I'm confusing my houses!

I've watched the first few episodes and one thing that stands out to me is productions lack of fluency in the BB lexicon. HM's are referred to as "contestants", they alternate between task/challenge, and evictions are referred to as being "kicked out". It's a bit odd considering BBAU was a year behind the other English speaking BB's so all the work was pretty much done for them.

There was an extremely small airlock.

The Diary Room door was next to the kitchen and they'd open the first door to then have to open a second door.

Unless I'm confusing my houses!
I don't consider the double doors to be an airlock. An airlock means there's a significant space between the house and the actual DR. I'm far from a BBAU historian so I may be wrong but I believe the first real airlock was in the BB4 house

I don't consider the double doors to be an airlock. An airlock means there's a significant space between the house and the actual DR. I'm far from a BBAU historian so I may be wrong but I believe the first real airlock was in the BB4 house
Oh ok, I didn't realise the double doors weren't considered an airlock.

BB3 had double doors too and BB4 was the first with the significant gap, along with the fingerprint codes and automatic doors.

BB3 had double doors too and BB4 was the first with the significant gap, along with the fingerprint codes and automatic doors.
The double doors where meant to provide a layer of soundproofing but it never really worked that well. HM's could easily stand outside and yell in to the DR or stand with their ear against the door and hear inside. Obviously adding more space between the doors made the DR a little more secure.

The double doors where meant to provide a layer of soundproofing but it never really worked that well. HM's could easily stand outside and yell in to the DR or stand with their ear against the door and hear inside. Obviously adding more space between the doors made the DR a little more secure.
Obviously those who have just re-watched BB1 will be able to tell us but I think I remember that happening with Sara-Marie listening in on someone.

At least double doors is more than what they have now!

I mistook the double door as an airlock as well. For BB1 I thought there was a small white room between the DR and kitchen but it may have been the front wall in the DR that housemates spoke to. Watching BB2 it is definitely just a double door with heavy padding on the second one. There was a scene of Katrina in the DR whilst the others set up for her birthday and she could hear them yelling and screaming.

Speaking of airlock's... I think BBAU was one of the first BB houses to have one. BBUS didn't have an airlock until the current house was built in 2005 and BBUK didn't have one until 2007.

Speaking of airlock's... I think BBAU was one of the first BB houses to have one. BBUS didn't have an airlock until the current house was built in 2005 and BBUK didn't have one until 2007.
That was something I did notice a few years back when I watched BBUK06 where the DR was literally in the lounge area and housemates would press their ears against the door to try to hear. And it is strange how BBUS went from literally no effort of an airlock to then a long hallway between.

That was something I did notice a few years back when I watched BBUK06 where the DR was literally in the lounge area and housemates would press their ears against the door to try to hear. And it is strange how BBUS went from literally no effort of an airlock to then a long hallway between.
BBUS did have double doors on the original DR. I'm not surprised that they adopted one once they moved... The second house made quite a few improvements over the original. They were also pretty limited with the old house as it was a couple double-wide trailers in the middle of a parking lot.

From memory I don't think any of the NINE series had any airlock? the 2012 diary room was along the hallway where the nominations room was? The 2013 DR definitly did not and was positioned similarly to the BBUK06 DR where it was in the lounge room with just the door separating it. And the 2014 DR was just upstairs.

Last edited:
From memory I don't think any of the NINE series had any airlock? the 2012 diary room was along the hallway where the nominations room was? The 2013 DR definitly did not and was positioned similarly to the BBUK06 DR where it was in the lounge room with just the door separating it. And the 2014 DR was just upstairs.
The 2013 DR was in a small hallway just off the main living space. It might not have had an airlock but I suspect HM's were not allowed near the door if the DR was in use. 2012 the DR seemed separated enough from the main house that an airlock wasn't necessary and like the 2013 DR and the 2014 house while not a traditional airlock the stairs served the same purpose.

The use of an upstairs diary room was something I liked in the later UK seasons. Having the diary room upstairs near the entry/exit made it impossible for housemates to ever hear things said.
Me too. Although having it upstairs also meant the staircase was left exposed so there was no separation between the house and the outside on eviction nights.

Back