Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Average in the lower 400 thousands

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Get this show cancelled

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters

Mustard

...Member?
Splitting off a new thread to collect ratings for this season, so that future weirdos historians can look back on what happened.

Premiere was fourth overall in its slot: 7:30 (584 000)/Australian Story (625 000), Lego Masters (566 000), Masterchef (532 000), Big Brother (487 000).

Second in 16-39 demos against Lego Masters, first for 18-49. Ratings down 26% on last years premiere.

Looking pretty dire tbh, and I thought Masterchef was bad.

Last edited:
Wow I'm honestly a bit surprised it did worse than last year. I would expect it to probably not be renewed if it continues to decline. I thought it was a strong first episode! I wonder if the format were different that it would make a difference? I think it CAN succeed if it's evidently succeeding overseas, surely it can be replicated in Australia. I think they just need to get with the times. We all watch stuff on our phones and having live feeds would really get people tuning in in this day and age of always being connected.

I would expect it to probably not be renewed if it continues to decline.
I expect it will get one last shot before being cancelled again. This series began filming after VIP, but before VIP aired so production haven't really been given a chance to "fix" the show since ratings began completely tanking (there's only so much editing can do to try save a show that was filmed in a specific way/format). They'll most likely want to make sure that there is absolutely no chance of making it viable again before dropping that axe.

Interesting, it’s only 80k less than Lego Masters which is what, a couple of ratings boxes difference?
#1 in 18-49 demos.
Yeah the numbers certainly don’t set the world on fire but hardly a complete failure in contrast with what else is going on with ratings currently.

I wonder how much this show costs. Set looks nice, returning legends so their pay is probably higher than a standard housemate and 24/7 surveillance, live or not, is still expensive.

Might be the final season if these are the launch ratings, but at least it's somewhat symbolic?

I wonder how much this show costs. Set looks nice, returning legends so their pay is probably higher than a standard housemate and 24/7 surveillance, live or not, is still expensive.
It's not nearly as expensive now as it used to be. The house cameras aren't manually operated and they aren't following them around 24/7 like they did in the old days. In Ten's day they had stenographers watching the feeds and typing notes about everything that happened and noting anything of importance so that they could rough the daily shows together. So the overall costs of the operation would be a lot lower now than they were before.

I don't know whether the returnees are being paid a higher stipend than the newbies. Should they be? They're still competing for the same prize at the end of the day.

Well that's looking quite damning. Have they mentioned anything about an upcoming season? It needs a whole rebrand.

Losing a fifth of your audience overnight isn't great. Suspect it'll really drop on Thursday.

No surprise though - people want to watch a TV show every night, not a feature length movie with pretty much the same plot everynight, which sometimes gets to the end of the movie and has a twist which confirms you've wasted two hours of your length.

The retention would probably have been much stronger had they just introduced the newbies in the first show and then bought in the first four legends towards the end, enticing people to tune in the next day to see how Tim, Reggie and co. get on in the house. Instead it ended on a sour note which reminded viewers how manipulated the Seven version is and people turned off.

Episode 2: Lego Masters won demos (609,000), MasterChef Australia (504,000), 7:30 (491,000), Big Brother (394,000).

From memory, looks like the ratings are heading right into Bachelorette territory.

Sheesh Lego Masters actually beating Big Brother and Masterchef in the ratings! I seriously can't believe it... o_O :vomit:

It will be interesting to see how this goes on streaming.. a few of my friends aren’t watching yet as they are waiting for 5+ episodes to be up on 7plus so they can binge in one sitting.

Reactions: kxk
I guess we’ll see how loyal the younger viewers truly are when we see the total TV numbers. The younger fans don’t watch FTA tv anymore. I’ve watched every episode on 7plus myself. It looks like the older viewers don’t wish to taint any fond memories of the show.

Golly gosh. Dismal numbers. But yes, streaming could change things.

I think with the change to a weekly format, they need to market / name each episode as such.
Mondays - Nominations
Tuesdays - Normal / Shopping Challenge
Wednesdays - Second Chance Challenge & Eviction

I guess this season is going to go for a while if it’s a weekly format? Or maybe it’s just weekly for half the season?

I guess we’ll see how loyal the younger viewers truly are when we see the total TV numbers. The younger fans don’t watch FTA tv anymore. I’ve watched every episode on 7plus myself. It looks like the older viewers don’t wish to taint any fond memories of the show.
I am not sure live ratings are an accurate reflection anymore. I assume it does not account for those watching through seven plus live? (I am watching it this way too as I don’t have a TV hooked up).

I am not sure live ratings are an accurate reflection anymore. I assume it does not account for those watching through seven plus live? (I am watching it this way too as I don’t have a TV hooked up).
At most it’s 100,000 to 150,000 jump. Ratings have dropped series over series.

It was so much easier before streaming and catch up. It was on and you watched it live (or PVR'd it). Now if you miss it live, you have to remember to go and search for it, forget, can't be bothered, meh it doesn't matter so much, there's so much else on offer. So yeah, I think viewers are a lot more apathetic about FTA TV in general these days and that's reflected in the numbers.

Back