• Stay steady around 450k

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Average in the lower 400 thousands

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Get this show cancelled

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters
What are the networks going to do?

Celeb apprentice debuted to 404k last night, 83k less than the BB launch a couple of weeks ago.

Nine might commission a never endearing season of MAFS. šŸ˜‚
TBH I donā€™t know if OTA broadcast TV as we know it is going to be around much longer. I see traditional broadcasting becoming more of a hybrid model. The vast majority of programming will be on demand with scheduled live programming sprinkled throughout. A lot of us are already watching more of our TV online anyways so I think it just makes sense. In the end I think moving to this model makes it easier to program since theyā€™re no longer bound by whatā€™s going to work in a 7:30 time slot and can focus more on putting out programming targeted for specific demos etc.

Last edited:
What are the networks going to do?

Celeb apprentice debuted to 404k last night, 83k less than the BB launch a couple of weeks ago.

Nine might commission a never endearing season of MAFS. šŸ˜‚

I know I chose not to watch it because I am already watching Masterchef and BB, I have no time for another show which has daily 90+ min episodes. As they say, less is more, not a surprise to see The Voice went up in ratings when it went down to 1 episode a week.

I know I chose not to watch it because I am already watching Masterchef and BB, I have no time for another show which has daily 90+ min episodes. As they say, less is more, not a surprise to see The Voice went up in ratings when it went down to 1 episode a week.
Yeah I was kind of interested to see Ronnie. But I don't have the time to follow another series. I'm not watching MC either tho

That show is beyond junk. Get some unqualified bogans together, supply alcohol & pretend they are married.
And yet it rates through the roof, people love a car crash, people love a show that isnā€™t afraid of showing said car crash, people love a show that embraces that bad behaviour on the production side. Big brother is a car crash for the wrong reasons, itā€™s bad in all areas, usually your cast can resurrect it if you cast to provoke but BB is dead set on the ā€˜everyday Australianā€™ trope which NOBODY FUCKING CARES ABOUT, 7

The trouble with the Aussie networks too is they don't complement each other, so they're instantly limiting their audience by scheduling their big reality franchises against each other, and limiting other possibile scheduling moves with the extended run times too.

In other countries where channels actually manage to keep hour long programmes to an hour you could end up with say Masterchef on Ten at 7pm, Big Brother on 7 at 8pm and Celebrity Apprentice on Nine at 9pm, with the rest of the night scheduled around them in a way that pulls in viewers not drawn to the opposition shows. Those wanting to watch all three would be able to do so quite easily too.

I'm the same. I contemplated it but I have no time. I can barley make time to watch Big Brother on catch-up, let alone also watching Masterchef and Celeb Apprentice. As well as Survivor US and the Circle. I don't have the time like I did 5 years ago.

And yet it rates through the roof, people love a car crash, people love a show that isnā€™t afraid of showing said car crash, people love a show that embraces that bad behaviour on the production side. Big brother is a car crash for the wrong reasons, itā€™s bad in all areas, usually your cast can resurrect it if you cast to provoke but BB is dead set on the ā€˜everyday Australianā€™ trope which NOBODY FUCKING CARES ABOUT, 7

Yeah no thanks, I don't want a show full of bad actors who are only there to be provocative and dramatic. MKR went down that route and it crashed and burned.

BB slumped to a season low 343k last night and that was only the 8th episode. If this season is around 30 episodes long like the previous civilian season I can't imagine how low the ratings will be by the end.

The only saving grace is that Celebrity Apprentice over on Nine is doing just as bad, with only 367k tuning in last night.

BB slumped to a season low 343k last night and that was only the 8th episode. If this season is around 30 episodes long like the previous civilian season I can't imagine how low the ratings will be by the end.

The only saving grace is that Celebrity Apprentice over on Nine is doing just as bad, with only 367k tuning in last night.
Any reason ratings dropping? The format? Drew and Sam? The challenges?

The cast doesnā€™t seem that bad.

Any reason ratings dropping? The format? Drew and Sam? The challenges?

The cast doesnā€™t seem that bad.
The viewers arenā€™t as stupid as seven think they are. Big brother has an established fan base and name here, the brand isnā€™t new. You canā€™t just change it and expect viewers to be okay with it being shit. Thereā€™s no live aspect, thereā€™s no opportunity to get to know to know the housemates and thereā€™s no audience interaction until the very end. Itā€™s all so cheap and overly produced to the point that people arenā€™t gonna watch it. Big brother is a show that needs to be done properly if itā€™s going to have any chance at success. Lots of people I know watch it online, but all conversations about it lead to ā€œit used to be so much betterā€.

The viewers arenā€™t as stupid as seven think they are. Big brother has an established fan base and name here, the brand isnā€™t new. You canā€™t just change it and expect viewers to be okay with it being shit. Thereā€™s no live aspect, thereā€™s no opportunity to get to know to know the housemates and thereā€™s no audience interaction until the very end. Itā€™s all so cheap and overly produced to the point that people arenā€™t gonna watch it. Big brother is a show that needs to be done properly if itā€™s going to have any chance at success. Lots of people I know watch it online, but all conversations about it lead to ā€œit used to be so much betterā€.
Even the consolidated ratings are dropping. They lost 180,000 viewers in the first five episodes.

And when you promote some non-eventful, unimaginative elimination deal as ā€œthe BIGGEST SCANDAL EVER in Big Brother HISTORYā€ (in the same season that is supposed to be an ode to the past seasons, no less) is just plain insulting to your viewers.

Even the non BB fans are aware of the scandals of BBAU past. That sort of marketing just does not work - ever. I donā€™t understand why Australian networks continue to promote shows by using this terminology over and over and over again.

I'm happy to see they are making changes to the format, like nominations and head of house. It's a huge clusterfuck but it shows they acknowledge there are elements missing to make it right. It just really needs to return to live..that's the whole thing. It's why the US has gone on so strong after 20 something seasons. It's all about watching relationships and seeing it happen in real life. It's the parasocial relationships that set it apart from other shows.

Even the consolidated ratings are dropping. They lost 180,000 viewers in the first five episodes.
In fairness thatā€™s to be expected. Itā€™s doing pretty bad compared to last year although. 1.1 million average for total tv (as quoted by 7) in 2021, and itā€™s looking like it will hover at the 800,000 this year. Itā€™s still performing well in younger demos, but this show could do so much better. So much better. If only they put in as much effort as they should be.

I'm happy to see they are making changes to the format, like nominations and head of house. It's a huge clusterfuck but it shows they acknowledge there are elements missing to make it right. It just really needs to return to live..that's the whole thing. It's why the US has gone on so strong after 20 something seasons. It's all about watching relationships and seeing it happen in real life. It's the parasocial relationships that set it apart from other shows.
They're bad changes though shoehorned in to a format where they don't really work. Having an alternating format is a baffling production call.

Summarising the 5-city overnights since launch:

So as of last night, they've lost 30% of the audience of the launch ep.

Back