Skip to main content

Episode BBAU 2021 - Episode 7 Discussion (5 May, 7:30pm)

Did You enjoy last nights double surprise episode ending?

• Yes, It was awesome

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • No, It was awful

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Hmm, It was mixed

Votes: 19 28.8%

• Total voters
We all know that this iteration of BB is heavily produced, but there is prize money at stake, so the competition should at least be fair inasmuch that contestants primarily succeed based on merit, not on the machinations of production to tip the results in favour of a particular alliance. The Daniel alliance have just been playing the game as it's meant to be played, only to have their strategies foiled by production rather than the other HMs. This is not a victory for which the Katie alliance can take any credit, yet it might have completely changed the outcome of the game in their favour.

I was trying to work out why I prefer the Daniel alliance. Haaated Daniel at first, thought Nick was just another boring bloke, and Mel's salt-of-the-earth farmer schtick makes me roll my eyes. But they've grown on me. Nick is quite strategic, Mel is mentally and physically strong and a decent strategist, and Daniel is a fool, but a self-aware one, I think he's quite tongue-in-cheek about it. The other alliance suuucks. Dislike Jess for using her dying grandma to weasel her way back in the game, and for being able to dish it out but not take it, and SJ (who I initially thought I was going to like) is a hypocrite for bawling about being nominated over the tofu, when she did the same to Tilly with the chickpeas. Also, what kind of a vegan eats Tim Tams and scrambled eggs?

I was trying to work out why I prefer the Daniel alliance. Haaated Daniel at first, thought Nick was just another boring bloke, and Mel's salt-of-the-earth farmer schtick makes me roll my eyes. But they've grown on me. Nick is quite strategic, Mel is mentally and physically strong and a decent strategist, and Daniel is a fool, but a self-aware one, I think he's quite tongue-in-cheek about it. The other alliance suuucks. Dislike Jess for using her dying grandma to weasel her way back in the game, and for being able to dish it out but not take it, and SJ (who I initially thought I was going to like) is a hypocrite for bawling about being nominated over the tofu, when she did the same to Tilly with the chickpeas. Also, what kind of a vegan eats Tim Tams and scrambled eggs?

A fake vegan!

We all know that this iteration of BB is heavily produced, but there is prize money at stake, so the competition should at least be fair inasmuch that contestants primarily succeed based on merit, not on the machinations of production to tip the results in favour of a particular alliance. The Daniel alliance have just been playing the game as it's meant to be played, only to have their strategies foiled by production rather than the other HMs. This is not a victory for which the Katie alliance can take any credit, yet it might have completely changed the outcome of the game in their favour.

Too true! Whether you like them or hate them, I was not impressed by the fact that I have been watching an alliance (Dan, Nick, Mel) form strategic plans, carry them out, and seemingly beginning to gain an advantage for their plays ... only to have everything crushed in a moment by an external production team of people who are not even in the house.

To be fair, this could have gone the other way too, depending on how previous evictions might have played out. Say, for example, if Dan had been fake-evicted and they called Nick or Mel to the diary room and revealed Dan above. But, even if it did pan out like that, it still doesn't seem fair that the scripting and pre-planned direction of the show can play such a big part in a game where there is prize money at stake and the people playing the game have formed alliances, planned strategies and are making their moves, only to have all that brought undone by external forces that are supposed to be there only to observe rather than be directly involved.

100% agree!

Last edited:
I guess that just proves that big brother will always be in control.

A valid point. It also proves that this version of BB is very different from the BB that we all watched back in the early days.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing how everything played out in last night's episode. But, I couldn't help feeling a little sorry for Dan, Nick and Mel to have all of their work undone like that, and NOT undone by the opposing alliance countering their moves with their own clever "come back" strategies.

Last edited:
A valid point. It also proves that this version of BB is very different from the BB that we all watched back in the early days.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed seeing how everything played out in last night's episode. But, I couldn't help feeling a little sorry for Dan, Nick and Mel to have all of their work undone like that, and NOT undone by the opposing alliance countering their moves with their own clever "come back" strategies.

It's hard for me to feel sorry for bully Dan. But I guess it shows the importance of managing everyone in your alliance. Because Dan thought that Sid would be fine going up as a safe vote. But when Mary and SJ told him to get out Carlos he didn't hesitate at all.

It's hard for me to feel sorry for bully Dan. But I guess it shows the importance of managing everyone in your alliance. Because Dan thought that Sid would be fine going up as a safe vote. But when Mary and SJ told him to get out Carlos he didn't hesitate at all.

Hmmm. True. Another valid point. 👍

On the one hand, it sucks that Katie and co were advantaged by the attic business - on the other, I love the styling of the attic and would happily watch an entire alternate series that oscillated between the action of the main housemates and the two old broads enjoying the attic and listening in to the odd exchange.

So far I am liking this series and this cast 100 times more than last year, and a few lulls aside the pacing of the edit is quite good.

I really enjoy Daniel's facial reactions and the things he says now and then, and the friendship and alliance with Nick; Mel grates a bit, but she is so determined and gutsy in the challenges; and I just adore Tilly and her nonsense, so I am firmly team Daniel v. whoever is aligned with Katie and Jess, but at the same time, rather glad SJ is still in it - even though she's on Katie's side and is a bit histrionic and a prat re food, she's interesting.

SJ reminds me of a lot of my teachers in school. Not in looks but in terms of attitude and character.

On the one hand, it sucks that Katie and co were advantaged by the attic business - on the other, I love the styling of the attic and would happily watch an entire alternate series that oscillated between the action of the main housemates and the two old broads enjoying the attic and listening in to the odd exchange.

So far I am liking this series and this cast 100 times more than last year, and a few lulls aside the pacing of the edit is quite good.

I really enjoy Daniel's facial reactions and the things he says now and then, and the friendship and alliance with Nick; Mel grates a bit, but she is so determined and gutsy in the challenges; and I just adore Tilly and her nonsense, so I am firmly team Daniel v. whoever is aligned with Katie and Jess, but at the same time, rather glad SJ is still in it - even though she's on Katie's side and is a bit histrionic and a prat re food, she's interesting.
Agree with all of this! :) At least the grandmas in the attic fallout gives Daniel something to chew on. If it was too easy it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

This safe vote stuff doesn't work! It needed to be Katie, Jess and Marley. The previous nominations from Dan and Christina needed to be SJ, Katie and Jess. If the Katie crew try and put Dan up with 2 safe votes next time they're idiots. Nothing less than Dan, Melissa and Nick will do.

It's hard for me to feel sorry for bully Dan.
How exactly is Dan a bully (really want to know, not just posing a rhetorical)? To my mind, he mainly goes at it with Katie, who is not a vulnerable victim by any means; she's a formidable adversary. All of his king of the jungle posturing is just tongue in cheek twaddle. He actually comes across as a bit of a softy; he seems loyal to his little group. I really dislike how Katie hisses in the ear of anyone who wins a challenge to save Jess and Marley in quite an aggressive way, and presumptuous too, because why should anyone have to do her bidding when they might have their own strategies. But does that make her a bully? I don't think so.

This safe vote stuff doesn't work! It needed to be Katie, Jess and Marley. The previous nominations from Dan and Christina needed to be SJ, Katie and Jess. If the Katie crew try and put Dan up with 2 safe votes next time they're idiots. Nothing less than Dan, Melissa and Nick will do.
The "safe vote" is disingenuous. Mainly they are filler votes - people who the nominator doesn't feel will retaliate if they make it through. Like poor old Mary, who is only guilty of being nice, and Sid, who at least seems nice/boring superficially. I think the producers influence people's noms, otherwise we'd get strong groups of three up for nomination, so whoever goes would be a big move. Imagine if it was Katie, Jess and Marley up, for example.

Back